Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

sue

Lioness Kills Man

Post #1

Post by sue »

Lioness in zoo kills man who invoked God

Mon Jun 5, 8:31 AM ET

KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.
Source

My question is simple: why did the lion kill the man?

Caligar
Student

Post #31

Post by Caligar »

McCulloch wrote:
Caligar wrote:The second option includes faith. If God tells you to do something, he is doing so under the guise of God is he not?
McCulloch wrote:Are you saying that faith is foolishness?
Caligar wrote:The context of the example was killing someone because God told you to. Yes, I believe that is foolish.
Was it any more foolish for Abraham than for a modern person?
It depends. From a moral standpoint its pretty much the same. From an objective standpoint it wasn't very foolish on his part, as the likelihood of a murderer being caught in those days want all to high.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by McCulloch »

Caligar wrote:The second option includes faith. If God tells you to do something, he is doing so under the guise of God is he not?
McCulloch wrote:Are you saying that faith is foolishness?
Caligar wrote:The context of the example was killing someone because God told you to. Yes, I believe that is foolish.
McCulloch wrote:Was it any more foolish for Abraham than for a modern person?
Caligar wrote:It depends. From a moral standpoint its pretty much the same. From an objective standpoint it wasn't very foolish on his part, as the likelihood of a murderer being caught in those days want all to high.
If almighty God wants you to do something, what does it matter what the probability of getting caught is?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Caligar
Student

Post #33

Post by Caligar »

McCulloch wrote:If almighty God wants you to do something, what does it matter what the probability of getting caught is?
You might, how do you say, go to jail or get killed. Besides, if you don't listen to God you can just ask for forgiveness later.

Heretic

Re: Lioness Kills Man

Post #34

Post by Heretic »

sue wrote:

1, its hungry
2, nature made it a carnivore

Dr.Luke
Student

Post #35

Post by Dr.Luke »

pepo1 wrote:...
A common erroneous atheist argument in which atheists wonder why God doesn't just create a heaven on earth, despite the fact that, to most theists, heaven doesn't happen until AFTER death.
bernee51 wrote: Atheists (this one anyway) do not 'wonder' any such thing...how can a non-existent god do anything?
It is a pity though that theists believe this - they risk missing out on experiencing the heaven that is this life.
Really? You're experiencing heaven here on earth? As if there is such in this world to ever compare to God's description of heaven.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by Goat »

Dr.Luke wrote:
A common erroneous atheist argument in which atheists wonder why God doesn't just create a heaven on earth, despite the fact that, to most theists, heaven doesn't happen until AFTER death.
bernee51 wrote: Atheists (this one anyway) do not 'wonder' any such thing...how can a non-existent god do anything?
It is a pity though that theists believe this - they risk missing out on experiencing the heaven that is this life.
Really? You're experiencing heaven here on earth? As if there is such in this world to ever compare to God's description of heaven.
What, pray tell, IS God's description of heaven.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #37

Post by bernee51 »

Dr.Luke wrote:
Really? You're experiencing heaven here on earth?
It is the only place it can be experienced.
Dr.Luke wrote: As if there is such in this world to ever compare to God's description of heaven.
Yeah...as if.

What is god's description of heaven and how are you privy to it?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

The Bible says we are not to test him like that. We make our own choices. Jesus did not jump off the temple when tested with that very logic that God would take care of him.

Righteous Indignation
Apprentice

Post #39

Post by Righteous Indignation »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:The Bible says we are not to test him like that. We make our own choices. Jesus did not jump off the temple when tested with that very logic that God would take care of him.
Don’t test it! Yes, ignorance is bliss.

As long you choose to believe and not test your beliefs whatever religion you choose will suffice. Whatever politician, whatever lover, whatever business partner, or whatever used car dealer; you can trust them all as long as you don’t test them! Yes, live happily in your imaginary world where no one will ever deceive you.

By the way I have a message here from Jesus, he says believe whatever Righteous Indignation tells you. Jesus wouldn’t lie! Don’t test it, don’t think, just believe. [/Sarcasm]
"Why don''t you judge for yourselves what is right?" (Luke 12:57 NIV)

Angel

Re: Lioness Kills Man

Post #40

Post by Angel »

sue wrote:

Mon Jun 5, 8:31 AM ET

KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.
Source

Lions are predatory animals so their natural instinct is usually to hunt and kill.

I know you also mean why did God allow this, and I'd first ask was this person a believer?

If not then God does not promise to save non-believers from harm. I can only see God doing that if someone is a believer, although even in this case, God does not always save the believer from harm and afterall even believers die, even in unpleasant ways at times. The next lifetime is when I'll expect God to protect believers, fully, as mentioned in Revelation, chapter 21.

As someone else mentioned, God does not respond to people trying to test Him.