Why do so many US women die giving birth?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Why do so many US women die giving birth?

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

This recent short film from the BBC started a train of thought. BBC - Why do so many US women die giving birth? Alternative Link if does not play in your country. I also found this articles on a similar theme.

Time - Why U.S. Women Still Die During Childbirth
NPR - U.S. Has The Worst Rate Of Maternal Deaths In The Developed World
Washington Post - Our infant mortality rate is a national embarrassment

American women are more than three times as likely as Canadian women to die in the maternal period so what is the US doing wrong? Is the issue poor medical practice or does it run deeper? Is this connected to the poor infant death rate where the US also does badly compared to the rest of the developed world. The Mississippi infant death rate of 9.6 per 1000 is worse than Botswana. What is going on?

Kenisaw
Guru

Re: Why do so many US women die giving birth?

Post #2

Post by Kenisaw »

Furrowed Brow wrote: This recent short film from the BBC started a train of thought. BBC - Why do so many US women die giving birth? Alternative Link if does not play in your country. I also found this articles on a similar theme.

Time - Why U.S. Women Still Die During Childbirth
NPR - U.S. Has The Worst Rate Of Maternal Deaths In The Developed World
Washington Post - Our infant mortality rate is a national embarrassment

American women are more than three times as likely as Canadian women to die in the maternal period so what is the US doing wrong? Is the issue poor medical practice or does it run deeper? Is this connected to the poor infant death rate where the US also does badly compared to the rest of the developed world. The Mississippi infant death rate of 9.6 per 1000 is worse than Botswana. What is going on?
I did some research into something similar to this years ago. The assumption people make is that all the data can be compared because they assume all the data is compiled the same way. It often isn't.

For example, infant mortality rates. I discovered back in the day that pre-term births in some countries are not counted when calculating infant mortality. They are counted in the US however, and since pre-term infants are more likely to die, that bumps up the America infant mortality rate. Pre-term infants are more likely to die in Canada or Sweden too, but if they are part of the calculation, then you can't compare the numbers.

TSGracchus
Scholar

Post #3

Post by TSGracchus »

[Replying to post 2 by Kenisaw]
But the post wasn't about infant mortality. It was about maternal mortality.
Still, one of the links does propose some reasons.

http://time.com/4508369/why-u-s-women-s ... hildbirth/

What religious folks might consider is that carrying to term is riskier for the mother than abortion.

And before you get all bent out of shape: I am not pro-abortion. It is just a fact.

:-|

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Furrowed Brow]

It can be worthwhile to check for inter-state differences and then lash onto practices and develop from there. One can also learn from the countries doing best.

However, I'd also take into account that a physician doesn't mean perfect service, necessarily. There may be more or less malpractice among the physicians serving the childbirths thus resulting in these deaths.

For the corrupt mind, it's an appeaser that life is fairly awful in Europe rather than in USA where dignity has a chance to succeed.

So: watch up for corrupt physicians, I believe may be a good thing.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Overcomer
Guru

Post #5

Post by Overcomer »

There has been a lot about this in the news lately. It seems that African-American women are three to four times as likely to lose their babies because they are more likely to be ignored by health-care professionals when they talk about the danger warnings they are experiencing. It just shouldn't be so!