Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Malibu church pressured to end homeless dinners

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Malibu church pressured to end homeless dinners
True...False...misleading or an indictment?

Should poverty be a problem for welfare or charity or left alone to resolve itself on its own?

marco
Savant

Re: Malibu church pressured to end homeless dinners

Post #2

Post by marco »

Furrowed Brow wrote: Malibu church pressured to end homeless dinners

Should poverty be a problem for welfare or charity or left alone to resolve itself on its own?

The answer seems obvious - that people in need should be helped by the state. However the problem has been with us a long time and "Sturdy Beggars" were an issue n the 14th and 15th century, when legislation was passed against those who were fit to work but chose to beg. However, some people were willing to work but could find no jobs, and they too were punished.

For my own part I often contribute to streets beggars or buy them a hot drink and something to eat on the basis that if they are reduced to doing this for whatever reason, then it's good to help. I'm aware that one might also be encouraging a bad habit - but how does one judge?

Overcomer
Guru

help our brothers and sisters

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

I think this sums it up well:

"If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth" (1 John 3:17-18).

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

marco wrote:
Furrowed Brow wrote: Malibu church pressured to end homeless dinners

The answer seems obvious - that people in need should be helped by the state. However the problem has been with us a long time and "Sturdy Beggars" were an issue n the 14th and 15th century, when legislation was passed against those who were fit to work but chose to beg. However, some people were willing to work but could find no jobs, and they too were punished.

For my own part I often contribute to streets beggars or buy them a hot drink and something to eat on the basis that if they are reduced to doing this for whatever reason, then it's good to help. I'm aware that one might also be encouraging a bad habit - but how does one judge?
Can people be helped by the state?

Short term we can redistribute the wealth from others. Long term we create more poverty.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Wootah wrote:
Can people be helped by the state?
Yes. I think you mean, should they be?
Wootah wrote:Short term we can redistribute the wealth from others. Long term we create more poverty.
The idea that the US, a nation of a million millionaires and the richest on earth, cannot afford, or is not prepared, to succour it's poorest, is a sorry indictment of the current right wing biased zeitgeist of your country. Certainly, such sentiments do not evidence a Christian outlook. But the truth is, I suspect, that Americans do not really like each other, let alone love their neighbour as themselves, for fear that might reduce their net worth.

Best wishes, 2RM.