Episcopalians Choose First Female Bishop in Anglican History

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Episcopalians Choose First Female Bishop in Anglican History

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

So what do you all think of this? Heading in the right direction or against God's law?
Fox News wrote:Episcopalians Choose First Female Bishop in Anglican History

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Episcopal Church on Sunday elected Nevada Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori as the first female chief pastor of the denomination and the first female leader in the history of the world Anglican Communion.

The choice of Schori as presiding bishop complicates the already difficult relations between the American denomination and its fellow Anglicans.

Only two other Anglican provinces — New Zealand and Canada — have female bishops, although a handful of other provinces allow women to serve in the post. Still, there are many Anglican leaders who believe women should not be priests.

Schori was elected during the Episcopal General Convention, where delegates have been debating whether to appease Anglican leaders by agreeing to stop ordaining gay bishops — for now. In 2003, the Americans angered the Anglican world by electing the first openly gay bishop — V. Gene Robinson of New Hampshire.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

kiwimac
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by kiwimac »

McCulloch,

She is not the first female Anglican bishop. There were two in the USA as assistant Bishops and one full Bishop here in NZ, long before this election.

What this election is, though, is the first election of a female Presiding (or Arch-) Bishop.

Kiwimac

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

kiwimac wrote:She is not the first female Anglican bishop. There were two in the USA as assistant Bishops and one full Bishop here in NZ, long before this election.

What this election is, though, is the first election of a female Presiding (or Arch-) Bishop.
I realize that. It is just that some Christian organizations are progressing slowly towards inclusiveness and recognition of the abilities of women while others are stuck in a literalist, "God says men must lead" mentality. Which direction is authentically Christian?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

kiwimac
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by kiwimac »

I would argue that the ordination of Women is the most 'authentically Christian.'

And I will develop this thought a little later as it its 1:05am and I'm knackered!

Kiwimac :D

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Cathar1950 »

In the bible you see women taking on historic roles. Like prostitutes and such. It seems the later Church writings are very Mediterranean in their view and place of women. Some even think some of the bible was actually written by women. I just think it is about time. Yet you are going to find those that take some passages and deny women places of authority. Being I am anti-Authoritarian, I guess it doesn’t matter.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by achilles12604 »

I feel that God will use whomever he will use. Men, Women, Children, Donkeys . . . :D

The point is that God is not bound by a book. The book is bound by God. However, we need a guide and the bible has always been that guide. I think the the VAST majority of "the church" has fallen so far away from his word, it can not even hear him speak anymore. Church has become a business. People selling God just like in the Canterbury Tales. It is reaching ridiculous proportions and if leaders who hold to doctrines which are blantently against what the Bible teaches(see below) , they will damage and destroy the church in no time flat, if they havn't done so already.

On a side note, I have no problem with sinners. Drug addicts, homosexuals, abortionists, whatever. I do not hate them. I do however HATE what they do. I usually do not speak to them directly about it, however any time an opportunity presents itself, I tell them exactly what I think. And the crazy thing is much of the time, they appreciate that I talked with them one on one rather than joining an angry mob of do-gooders.
I feel I get a lot farther with them by approaching them one on one, yet still being very honest with them.
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.