Dawkins calls Christianity "benign"

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Overcomer
Guru

Dawkins calls Christianity "benign"

Post #1

Post by Overcomer »

Atheist Richard Dawkins has been critical of Christianity for a long time. But lately, he has started to change his tune, noting that as Christianity declines in Great Britain, the gap isn't being filled by secular humanists or atheists. it is being filled by Muslims. He says he prefers Christianity to Islam because Christianity is "benign." Christians don't send suicide bombers and blow up buildings, he notes.

There have been a number of articles about him and his comments re: Christianity and Islam in the news of late. Here's one:

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/richa ... mething-wo

Traditionally, Muslims have taken over countries, not just with violence, but by population growth. It has played a part in North African and Asian countries becoming Muslim. We can see it happening in a country like Sweden where the birth rate for native non-Muslim Swedes is low while Muslims have large families. Eventually, Muslims outnumber everybody else and the countries become theirs.

I'm wondering what members of this community think about that. What do you think of Dawkins' claims? Are you concerned about the "islamification" of countries built on traditional Judeao-Christian values? Would you prefer Christianity to Islam? If so, why? If not, why?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #11

Post by Divine Insight »

marco wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
So Christians are supporting Islam to the hilt by condoning these absurd and ancient religious myths of a jealous God who is out to condemn sinful humans.

Christianity fully supports Islam, even if it has no intention to do so.

Jesus took a stick to beat his own followers. Turn the other cheek! If they force their faith on you, do not resist! To die in my name is a blessing. Love your enemies!

As long as somebody's faith does not involve hurt for me and others, I have no problem living with it. Our political correctness and our horror of offending, coupled with the sharp lessons delivered to those who would malign Muhammad all mean we need no dentists, since our teeth are drawn. We only stand and wait.
The philosophies are irrelevant. What is relevant is that both Christianity and Islam are based on the same original God myth. Therefore a Christian can hardly tell a Muslim that Yahweh and Jesus are real, but Allah and Muhammad are not.

Also, the Muslim can argue that Islam is more consistent in terms of maintaining a single coherent God. Allah never changed. His laws are the same from beginning to end. In Christianity Jesus actually becomes the antithesis of Yahweh, overturning many of Yahweh's previous commandments and directives.

So once the Christian condones the original mythology they have "supported" Islam as being a valid and respectable religion, whether they have intended to do this or not.

A Christian can hardly tell a Muslim that Islam is fake news whilst proclaiming that Christianity represents the truth. That's just not going to fly. Supporting the original superstition of the Old Testament God already gives support to any belief in Allah.

Any difference in the philosophies between Christianity and Islam is a moot point.

Keep in mind, that even the Christian Yahweh commanded men to kill heathens, infidels, and sinners, etc. So there is no difference between Yahweh and Allah. Jesus can't change the character of Yahweh. A Muslim can even argue the Jot and Tittle proclamation of Jesus given by Matthew 5:18 and proclaim that it's the Christians who have it all wrong.

So the moment you support a belief in Yahweh you've supported Islam.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

marco
Savant

Post #12

Post by marco »

Divine Insight wrote:
So the moment you support a belief in Yahweh you've supported Islam.

For my own part I certainly don't support a belief in Yahweh. I can accept little kids believe in Santa, and I find such belief innocuous and charming. If Christianity assures me I am loved and if I fall on hard times while travelling between Jerusalem and Jericho (perish the thought!) I will have my hotel bill paid, then I am happy. Very happy indeed.

If a belief system accommodates those who want to blow me out of the skies, then I get a trifle uneasy. I can see that Allah has learned bad habits from Yahweh, and acquired some more, but I don't see Christians hurrying to Mecca. My position is that if Christianity sticks to Christ's mantras about loving everybody, I can happily read my newspaper. When a religion taps me on the shoulder and presents a knife or a gun at my disbelief, I feel alarm. I hope this makes sense.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Dawkins calls Christianity "benign"

Post #13

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Overcomer]

Reply no. 2.

Given that Dawkins speaks from inside the greenhouse and the sun shines stronger every day, it shouldn't be much of a stretch for Dawkins to admit religious people "just a little bit of virtue".

Also, note that the way to win back people to religion may be to offer serious psychiatry to them so to make their "demons" disappear and return to more steady mentality if not sanity directly. Please, see best practice psychiatry for schizophrenia, the ECT, the medical sleep assistance (opiates or other) and schizophrenia medication. This is most fortunate for us religious people in 2018 as we have more tools in the box in order to make Planet Earth look more like a holy place by God, i.e., the Utopia for all, starting with the 1st nation to break through if necessary.

:study: :D
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!