Mormon name change

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Overcomer
Guru

Mormon name change

Post #1

Post by Overcomer »

The head of the LDS would like everyone to abandon the names "LDS" and "Mormon" and refer to members of the religion by its long title (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) or a different abbreviation such as "The Church of Jesus Christ".

What reasons could there be for such a name change? What's wrong with using "Mormon" or "LDS"? How does one go about getting everybody to buy into this change of designation after decades of using the other names?

https://nationalpost.com/news/religion/ ... mon-church

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

That's actually a quite hilarious title to the article.

Stop calling us 'Mormons' or using 'LDS' abbreviation, says leader of Mormon Church.

The title of the article does exactly what they are being asked not to do.

I don't think anyone is going to start typing out "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" This is 2018, people just don't type things out anymore when a shorter word or abbreviation will suffice.

Even the webpage that posted the report use the title mentioned above they didn't bother to write out

Stop calling us 'Mormons' or using 'LDS' abbreviation, says leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Even they weren't going to bother typing all that into their news title.

If they get upset about being called Mormons or LDS I have a feeling that they are going to be quite upset for quite some time to come.

I didn't read the article but I have a suspicion that this is most likely due to the fact that many Christian Sects don't consider Morons to even be "Christians". So this is most likely an effort to force everyone to call them the "Church of Jesus Christ" thus forcing them to be recognized as having something to do with Jesus Christ.

Almost all Christian factions are fighting against each other for the copyright and/or patent rights on Jesus Christ. They all want to claim that they are the only ones who speak for him reliably.

It's a pretty sad religion when you stop to think about what it has ultimately become. It's really nothing more than people fighting over the ownership of Christ and the right to claim him as their own personal marionette doll so they can put their own interpretations and opinions into his mouth.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »