What do we do with those who want to kill us?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

What do we do with those who want to kill us?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Anjem Choudary, referred to as one of Britain's most dangerous Islamic radicalisers, has been released from prison having served half his 5-year sentence for encouraging people to join ISIS. Obviously the authorities will place expensive controls on his supervision but the question is: Whose safety is more important?

What can we do with people who educcate others to go out and kill? Jesus would say show mercy and forgive on seventy times seven occasions if necessary.

Should we be tougher with those who want to harm society? How?

marco
Savant

Re: What do we do with those who want to kill us?

Post #11

Post by marco »

2ndRateMind wrote:
Technically or actually? There is a difference.

Well the adverb I used was technically.
2ndRateMind wrote:
I'm inclined to err on the side of (legal) free speech, and demolishing the arguments of extremists deliberately, totally, publicly, and eternally.

Well I don't know how we can demolish arguments eternally. When Henry 11 foolishly asked "Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?" he might have thought that closure had come with Becket's murder. But from death arose the life of pilgrims. Anyway, I used to hear, as a boy, that I should remember I was dust and would return into dust, so the dust of a terrorist is of no great concern. When we keep one foot in the temporal world and the other in the spiritual, we make strange decisions. But I agree one should follow legal process when it's the best thing to do.

There must be a better way than simply releasing a terrorist.