Should we renounce, or embrace, "Big Brother"?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Should we renounce, or embrace, "Big Brother"?

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

Americans have often expressed a strong dislike, and even a fear, of an idea of a "Big Brother" society where our individual behaviors are being monitored by the society (i.e. by the government), and we are rated by our behavior.

In China that are currently doing precisely this very thing and planning on expanding on it in the very near future:

[youtube][/youtube]

Is this a bad thing, or a good thing?

I suggest that it's a good thing. I can't imagine this hurting me or limiting me in anything I do. If anything, based on how the system works in China I would have much opportunity to actually gain many positive points.

The only people who would stand to loose are people who are actually participating in behaviors that are a detriment to themselves, or society (i.e their fellow citizens)

Also, if the USA had a system set up like this it could potentially prevent hate crimes, and all the other nasty type of school shootings, etc, that we are currently experiencing.

I would gladly give up my 'privacy' if by doing so I would be contributing to the reduction of crimes committed by people who prefer to do bad things.

How about you?

Question for Debate:

Would a Big Brother system that monitors our individual behavior be a good thing or a bad thing?

What do you think, and why?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

William
Savant

Re: Should we renounce, or embrace, "Big Brother"?

Post #2

Post by William »

Divine Insight:
Q:
Would a Big Brother system that monitors our individual behavior be a good thing or a bad thing?

Q: What do you think, and why?

:study:

Divine Insight: Americans have often expressed a strong dislike, and even a fear, of an idea of a "Big Brother" society where our individual behaviors are being monitored by the society (i.e. by the government), and we are rated by our behavior.

Will, I Am: I live in a land which I consider to be analogous of it being a lap-dog of the United States of America.
In that, there is a different perception of the USA than what you describe.

Perhaps - as you write - the US citizens are generally afraid of the idea of "Big Brother", but this fear does not seem to extend to those lands which the American Government is considered by the citizens of those lands, to be Big Brother over.

Perhaps there was a time when America believed itself "great" and its citizens were afforded the luxury of relative freedom from Government prying and thus turned a blind eye from what their Government was doing in relation to other lands.

Perhaps the dream was fulfilled once upon a time, but the fulfillment wasn't lasting and that is why the phrase "Make America Great Again" caught on in the imagination of US citizens in a sort of nostalgia for things long lost, and a hope of regaining that.

But the American Government is extremely apt at the role of Big Brother now, having practiced for so long on the citizens of other lands, and in that, there is really no going back. More prying is on the way...old-time constitutions set to one side as the modern replaces the former.

No easy task...

Divine Insight: In China that are currently doing precisely this very thing and planning on expanding on it in the very near future:

Will, I Am: The video was very interesting. That is the thing about China. Its Mods never believed in individualism and put serious focus into the collective, and watch out if you had a problem with that.
Dictatorships do not have to be malevolent, but alongside the evolution of human knowledge, there still has to be some violence...because "humans"...

I do not believe such a system will ultimately make too much difference IF what 'they' say about climate change is actually going to happen. It is simply not radical enough.

Divine Insight: Is this a bad thing, or a good thing?

Will, I Am: It is a thing. I have been going through internal changes in relation to the idea of 'good' and 'not good' to a point where I have all but abandoned ideas based on ideas of morality...

...especially when it come to individualism rather than collectivism.

It is a system which rewards people for doing 'good' in relation to the collective, and punishing people who are self centered to the point of detriment to the collective.At face value that cannot be 'bad', but I am more a 'collective' kinda personality than self centered, although there is balance in that to keep and eye on...I think one is better equipped to help others, when ones own needs are taken care of.
The idea of rewarding citizens for helping one another is a 'good' thing. America seems to reward those who help themselves, even at the cost of other citizens been adversely affected by that type of system. That can't be "good" can it...at least not perpetually...

Divine Insight: I suggest that it's a good thing. I can't imagine this hurting me or limiting me in anything I do. If anything, based on how the system works in China I would have much opportunity to actually gain many positive points.

Will, I Am: Exactly!
It is the equivalent argument for secularism as the one which is used against theists who are unable to do the right thing without a certain type of idea of GOD to prompt them.
Some/most people require some type of prompting - like reward for good effort/contribution made - in order for this to happen. Thus "Big Brother" provides the incentives, rather than some invisible GOD.

Divine Insight: The only people who would stand to loose are people who are actually participating in behaviors that are a detriment to themselves, or society (i.e their fellow citizens)

Will, I Am: And we can identify them through that resistant response.

Divine Insight: Also, if the USA had a system set up like this it could potentially prevent hate crimes, and all the other nasty type of school shootings, etc, that we are currently experiencing.
I would gladly give up my 'privacy' if by doing so I would be contributing to the reduction of crimes committed by people who prefer to do bad things.

How about you?

Will, I Am: One has to identify why crime exists. Obviously Law has much to do with that, but situation and opportunity also.
Do you suggest that such a system as the one China is trying out, will be able to eradicate crime?
The man in the video who refused to pay a fine. We are not told what the fine was for or why he is refusing to pay it.
Perhaps he feels he is being treated unjustly?
There will have to be accountability on the part of Big Brother in order that abuse of the system cannot happen, as injustice to one citizen is an injustice to the collective due to failure/not correcting failure.
This would mean that the citizens can also pry on the Government to make sure that it is also working within the rules.
A totally transparent system which is unable to hide anything...