I'm Kind of Interested in...

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

I'm Kind of Interested in...

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

...what happens to people in the US who have Covid-19 symptoms, but can't afford health insurance?

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: I'm Kind of Interested in...

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

2ndRateMind wrote: ...what happens to people in the US who have Corvid-19 symptoms, but can't afford health insurance?
They probably die, unless they just happen to recover on their own.

If you've been watching US news you'll see that there are a lot of people dying from Covid-19 in their homes. They never even went to a hospital at all. Most likely because they couldn't afford it. Some of them don't even have doctors to call.

I also personally believe that the hospitals themselves probably take of well-off people better than they take care of poor people. We certainly know that this is the case for anyone who's filthy rich. They aren't going to be put on a crappy ventilator in a back corner of a large room and left to die. Instead they'll be taken to a private room and placed on the best ventilators with close monitoring.

Let's face it. It's always been this way and Covid-19 isn't going to change that.

Also, any poor people who happen to make it through a hospital alive will be getting a LARGE BILL for the medical services. They may not be able to pay it, but that unpaid bill will continue to haunt them for the rest of their life. If they ever do start to make any money, they'll need to start paying toward that bill. Possibly even having it deducted from their pay automatically.

So Covid-19 is not something a poor person wants to get.

By the way. I guess I'm one of them. I don't have health insurance. So I have no idea what will happen if I get the virus. I'll probably find myself dying in the back of a large room filled with poor sick people with a old malfunctioning ventilator as my only hope for survival.

And if I happen to survive it, I'm sure I'll get a huge medical bill in the mail. Something that I will not be able to afford to pay. It would be a financial nightmare to be sure.

My only hope is to not get the virus. 8-)

That's really my only option.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Overcomer
Guru

Post #3

Post by Overcomer »

Your post, DI, reminds me why I'm glad I live in a country were everyone, rich and poor alike, will be treated if they fall ill. In a country as wealthy as the U.S., there is no excuse for not providing health-care to everyone, regardless of their bank accounts.

I hope you do, indeed, avoid it and stay well, DI.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Divine Insight wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote: ...what happens to people in the US who have Covid-19 symptoms, but can't afford health insurance?
They probably die, unless they just happen to recover on their own...
Hmmm. I thought that might be so. It seems a trifle harsh on the poor. And, I suspect, a recipe for a failure in public health.

I hope you stay well, and keep safe, my friend.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Last edited by 2ndRateMind on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

koko

Post #5

Post by koko »

Divine Insight wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:24 pm
2ndRateMind wrote: ...what happens to people in the US who have Corvid-19 symptoms, but can't afford health insurance?
They probably die, unless they just happen to recover on their own.

If you've been watching US news you'll see that there are a lot of people dying from Covid-19 in their homes. They never even went to a hospital at all. Most likely because they couldn't afford it. Some of them don't even have doctors to call.

... It would be a financial nightmare to be sure.

My only hope is to not get the virus. 8-)

That's really my only option.

Same here. The FAIL Trump administration claimed that every American would be covered during his regime. Instead, hundreds of thousands LOST their insurance. Thus, Republican Trump proclaimed a death sentence to innocent, poor Americans. Sad to say but voting Republican means voting for death.

The Bible teaches that a nation that mistreats poor people is one that will be punished with instability, weather disaster, pestilence, and other evils. This is taught in the Book of Amos:

https://www.biblestudytools.com/amos/

quote: "The dominant theme is clearly stated in 5:24, which calls for social justice as the indispensable expression of true piety."

Social justice for the poor, not mere lip service.

That is, we must return to the days of FDR and its prevailing social philosophy. We must elevate the poor and compel the wealthy elites to give their fair share for society's betterment. In this day and age of right wing political correctness this may not be so acceptable. But it is biblical. Obey the Bible and help the poor. That's what a good Christian and good Christian nation does.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Zzyzx »

Rich people in the US (those making state and federal decisions) are financially capable of handling the cost of medical insurance and treatment. They have little reason to be concerned about the fate of everyone else -- unless conditions are so bad as to threaten their elective free ride or their corporations.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Zzyzx wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:20 pm Rich people in the US (those making state and federal decisions) are financially capable of handling the cost of medical insurance and treatment. They have little reason to be concerned about the fate of everyone else -- unless conditions are so bad as to threaten their elective free ride or their corporations.
Well, I can think of two such reasons:

1) To lead is to serve.
2) To love is to desire to serve.

I'm a little less cynical that you about the motivation of politicians. To be sure, they all want power. But the guys in the white hats are the guys who want the best for their electorates, and want the power for the sole reason as to deliver that.

Best wishes, 2RM.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:15 pm ...what happens to people in the US who have Covid-19 symptoms, but can't afford health insurance?

Best wishes, 2RM.
Hospitals are required to treat everyone regardless of ability to pay. The patient will get billed and if they can't or won't pay at the hospital, the hospital 'rights it off' as a last resort if the patient can't or won't pay - sometimes they negotiate the price if the patient is willing to pay something. Rarely the bill goes to collection agencies where they try to get something (I don't believe medical bills goes on one's credit but I may be wrong).
It's not much different than someone who as no insurance and is in IQU in a coma for weeks or months before they die. Once dead, if they don't have any property or savings or the like, there's no money for the hospital to get.
It happens all the time in the USA with people from other countries that have no insurance: the hospital services them, they leave, and the hospital is left with the bill. Sometimes government projects are available for the hospital to get some money from, but not always.
Outside of the hospital (the person gets sick and stays home), it's up to the individual to figure out how to make ends meet.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

Our NHS here in the UK is letting us down too. People are being left to get on with it, if you are sick it's a struggle to get treatment. The old or alone are very vulnerable.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Rose2020 »

Our NHS here in the UK is letting us down too. People are being left to get on with it, if you are sick it's a struggle to get treatment. The old or alone are very vulnerable.