Do we now have a treatment for covid-19?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

DrNoGods wrote: [Replying to post 134 by AgnosticBoy]
I think we all need to tone down our fears about this virus, especially now that there's a treatment for covid-19:

That might be wording it a little too strongly. The tests showed two things:

1) Hospital stays were reduced from 15 days on average to 11 days.

2) The mortality rate was 8.0% vs. 11.6% for placebo.

These are certainly beneficial results, and technically a "treatment" as it improves the patient's condition. But an 8% mortality rate is still something to be concerned about and I think most people would consider that to suggest that we still need to remain vigilant. As the study doctors say, more work is needed. It is a treatment not a cure, and people can still die who get the drug as the study showed. So not pouring cold water on the results, but I doubt it will allay fear in most people just yet. Good news all the same.
For debate:

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: Do we now have a treatment for covid-19?

Post #2

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to post 1 by otseng]

The word "treatment" seems to have a wide range of possible meanings in the medical world:

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedicti ... /treatment

I'm sure Remdesivir would fall into at least one of these (probably several) and so could technically be described as a "treatment." But when I hear that word in the context of this pandemic I think of something more effective than what Remdesivir seems to be. So, technically, we may have a treatment for Covid-19, but I think it needs a qualifier of some kind to better represent the level of treatment it represents. It is certainly not a cure, or a treatment that eliminates the need to worry about potentially serious consequences for higher risk people, or the people they interact with.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #3

Post by benchwarmer »

DrNoGods wrote: [Replying to post 1 by otseng]

The word "treatment" seems to have a wide range of possible meanings in the medical world:

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedicti ... /treatment

I'm sure Remdesivir would fall into at least one of these (probably several) and so could technically be described as a "treatment." But when I hear that word in the context of this pandemic I think of something more effective than what Remdesivir seems to be. So, technically, we may have a treatment for Covid-19, but I think it needs a qualifier of some kind to better represent the level of treatment it represents. It is certainly not a cure, or a treatment that eliminates the need to worry about potentially serious consequences for higher risk people, or the people they interact with.
I agree with this 100%

Garlic is a "treatment" for Covid-19. Is it effective? Probably not. What we want is a very effective treatment that produces significant results versus placebo.

In the end I imagine there will be at least a few effective treatments, each with differing side effects and results. I don't think anyone should jump to making rash decisions (i.e. start hugging everyone you see on the street) because they have found something that has some positive effect. There is still no known cure or 100% effective and safe treatment.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

A treatment is not a cure. Nor is it a prevention.

So this isn't going to prevent the virus from spreading, Nor is it going to prevent anyone from getting sick from the virus.

It's only going to help those who become deathly sick and in dire need of artificial ventilation. Moreover, while it may help some people recover more quickly there's no guarantee that it will help everyone recover. Some people may still die from the disease even if given this treatment.

So while it's good news for those who do become seriously ill, it's not going to help in the quest to reopen the country or get anything back to normal.

In short, unless a person is seriously ill with COVID-19 this treatment isn't doing anyone else any good.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Danmark »

I think the idea of this thread is good, in that it provides an alternative to the thread about 'Why God creates deadly diseases.' We have long ago jumped to a different argument.

But, 'treatment' is so vague as to mean almost nothing. There's nothing to debate. This is a question for science, not amateurs or politicos to bandy about.
"Do we currently have a treatment for COVID-19 that will save a significant number of lives? Or keep the symptoms mild, or render it non contagious? And what number do we use to determine what level of 'return to work' is prudent?

More importantly, how can we determine anything without adequate testing. Since January this administration has been saying, "We'll have all the testing we need" and "testing isn't important." Testing is crucial and the U.S. Federal government still hasn't recognized that. Instead they explain why it's not their fault and the State's should have done it.

It's hard to find a more obvious case of catastrophic failure of the national government, going back 50 years or more.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

Danmark wrote: "Do we currently have a treatment for COVID-19 that will save a significant number of lives? Or keep the symptoms mild, or render it non contagious? And what number do we use to determine what level of 'return to work' is prudent?
From what I've heard, the current proposed treatment just reduces the time required on a ventilator for those who survive. I didn't hear anything mentioned about it necessarily preventing anyone from actually dying.

Also, I think the reasons this "treatment" sounds good to hospitals is that if it reduces the time a person is on a ventilator that means that the hospital can send those who do survive home a few days earlier.

While this treatment is certainly a welcome sight for both healthcare workers and sick people who might have taken longer to recover. I don't recall hearing anything about it actually reducing the death rate. Although, if it reduces the time on a ventilator it seems logical to a layman that it might potentially save lives of those who might have been on the ventilator longer? But do we actually know that this is even the case?

By the way. Has anyone thought that reducing the time a person is on a ventilator might actually mean that people are dying faster? That's certainly one way of reducing the time they require a ventilator. They're off the ventilator in 7 days instead of 14 days because they died sooner?

Gotta watch these statistics! You never really know what they might be telling us.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

SallyF
Guru

Post #7

Post by SallyF »

Christian treatments I have found are thus …

Jesus Christ, you traveled through towns and villages “curing every disease and illness.� At your command, the sick were made well. Come to our aid now, in the midst of the global spread of the coronavirus, that we may experience your healing love.

Heal those who are sick with the virus. May they regain their strength and health through quality medical care.
https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2 ... rus-prayer

Jesus heals. Strength and health regained through quality medical care ….
Seems like these Christians don't have too much faith in "God" in this "treatment", and they know where the treatment is actually coming from.

Almighty God, we know that everything is in Your sovereign control. We ask that You keep this new coronavirus from continuing to spread. Give government officials the ability to safely handle people arriving from other countries. Help people decide to stay home instead of traveling or going out needlessly. Holy Spirit, remind people to wash their hands properly. And while it may be heartbreaking, comfort families as they decide to keep their distance from elderly or other high-risk family members. https://www.worldvision.org/disaster-re ... oronavirus

Now THIS Christian treatment (or perhaps prevention) might be getting somewhere ...!

Every time we wash our hands, we may imagine that the Holy Spirit/Ghost has reminded us to do it ...!!!

A Prayer for Persons Suffering from the Coronavirus

You shall not fear the terror of the night
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that roams in darkness,
nor the plague that ravages at noon.
Ps 91:5-6

Merciful God, hear our fervent prayer for all who suffer from the coronavirus.
May those who are infected receive the proper treatment
and the comfort of your healing presence.
https://www.chausa.org/prayers/cha-pray ... oronavirus

THESE Christians are FEARLESS ...!

But they don't say what "proper treatment" actually is.

And I suspect - given the absence of any demonstrated action on the virus by Jehovah or Jesus or the Holy Ghost (handwashings excepted) - that "the comfort of your healing presence" is nothing more than the comfort of delusion and superstition.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #8

Post by Overcomer »

I don't know about a treatment, but I read that Pfizer has a vaccine they're ready to test on humans. That surprised me. Development of vaccines usually doesn't happen that fast. However, i can certainly understand the pharmaceutical companies working around the clock to get one, both for humanitarian reasons as well as financial ones.

koko

Post #9

Post by koko »

It take a long while to develop an effective vaccine. At first, science may come up with a medicine that kills the virus. But all too often it can have serious and even fatal side effects. This is why medicines/vaccines must be tested over a prolonged period in order to insure that their use will be effective without having dangerous consequences.

tonjun
Student

Re:

Post #10

Post by tonjun »

[Replying to Divine Insight in post #6]

Please watch "Plandemic 1 & 2" on bitchute.

If you google it or search on youtube you'll only see it in small clips, and being called conspiracy theory. You cannot find the full interviews for 1 and 2 on google or youtube.

If you haven't seen this you will be shocked and it will answer your question about the ventilators.

You will see Youtube and other places deleting the video when you see that it's practically a cover up.

Please wake up. We are coming to dark times.