Do we now have a treatment for covid-19?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

DrNoGods wrote: [Replying to post 134 by AgnosticBoy]
I think we all need to tone down our fears about this virus, especially now that there's a treatment for covid-19:

That might be wording it a little too strongly. The tests showed two things:

1) Hospital stays were reduced from 15 days on average to 11 days.

2) The mortality rate was 8.0% vs. 11.6% for placebo.

These are certainly beneficial results, and technically a "treatment" as it improves the patient's condition. But an 8% mortality rate is still something to be concerned about and I think most people would consider that to suggest that we still need to remain vigilant. As the study doctors say, more work is needed. It is a treatment not a cure, and people can still die who get the drug as the study showed. So not pouring cold water on the results, but I doubt it will allay fear in most people just yet. Good news all the same.
For debate:

Jemima
Student

Re: Do we now have a treatment for covid-19?

Post #41

Post by Jemima »

Bradskii wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:19 am
Jemima wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:36 am
Bradskii wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:47 am Good grief. You're doubling down? So are you saying that you were right? That you cannot get those diseases a second time?
What? Image I said no such thing....I said that the vaccines used for the current pandemic are so useless that people who are fully vaccinated are coming down with variants like Delta, which are not covered by the current jab.
What you said is that once you had a variety of diseases (mumps, rubella etc) then you couldn't get them again. You were wrong. I linked to medical sites that showed that you were wrong.

The matter at hand isn't the current virus. It's actually your credibility. Whether your views are worth considering. Whether you are willing to accept that you are wrong.
Oh I see....its about my credibility, not the credibility of the medical professionals in the links I have provided so far.....?

How about these then...
https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/196/6/861/2191978

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/immunity-types.htm

Or how about this one....
"Is it true that some people can’t get measles?
Yes. Some people are immune to measles, meaning that their body has already learned how to fight off the virus, and they won’t become sick from it. People can become immune to measles in two ways. Natural immunity: those who got sick with measles earlier in life will be immune afterward, and they won’t get it again. Vaccine-based immunity: 97/100 people who have been vaccinated with 2 doses of measles vaccine have long-term immunity to measles."

https://www.sfcdcp.org/infectious-disea ... z/measles/
I don't react to scattergun approaches in a forum situation. I like to deal with issues one at a time. So...were you wrong in what you said about mumps, rubella etc?
Well, I don't react positively to those who demonstrate a "dog with a bone" attitude, over nit picking things that are irrelevant to the argument at hand. What is the deal proving I am wrong?....we seem to be at an impasse..... :?

Best to give it up IMO....this is going nowhere.
Always what I post is my opinion, according to my understanding.

Bradskii
Student

Post #42

Post by Bradskii »

Jemima wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:38 pm
Bradskii wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:19 am
Jemima wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:36 am
Bradskii wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:47 am Good grief. You're doubling down? So are you saying that you were right? That you cannot get those diseases a second time?
What? Image I said no such thing....I said that the vaccines used for the current pandemic are so useless that people who are fully vaccinated are coming down with variants like Delta, which are not covered by the current jab.
What you said is that once you had a variety of diseases (mumps, rubella etc) then you couldn't get them again. You were wrong. I linked to medical sites that showed that you were wrong.

The matter at hand isn't the current virus. It's actually your credibility. Whether your views are worth considering. Whether you are willing to accept that you are wrong.
Oh I see....its about my credibility, not the credibility of the medical professionals in the links I have provided so far.....?
Yes, it is in the first instance.

One has to ask how come I post links to medical sites and you reject those (and risibly suggest that they'd actually paid to gain a prominent position in a Google search) because they discount what you said but you can link to similar sites and expect them to be accepted. Is there some double standard here? Not that I don't accept the information to which you linked. The first two included these comments:

General infections: 'Active immunity is long-lasting, and sometimes life-long.'

Mumps:  '...however, mumps virus reinfections do seem to occur.'

So they actually discount what you said as well - that you couldn't get them again (as far as measles go, I think you're right. Which is why I didn't include it when I pointed out that your claims were wrong although I did include German Measles aka rubella). Glad we cleared that up.

So now let's check the credibility of McCullough. Do you accept that one of the surveys he included in his article directly contradicted what the article implied?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #43

Post by Clownboat »

Jemima wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:18 pm
Clownboat wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:26 pm By rejecting the establilshed science, flat earthers place themselves in a position of power.
Suddenly they feel like they are the experts, and that is a good feeling. Why wouldn't they want to maintian that feeling?

Is it possible that this is what is happening above? I ask because it doesn't sound like you are actually a scientist or someone that would have an understanding (more than the average that is) on the subject.
"Established science"? Established by whom?
I have listened to both sides of this subject, which is getting more and more difficult as the censorship increases. Why are equally qualified voices being silenced on this issue? Can you answer me that? Career suicide follows many who try to tell of valid concerns over a vaccine that has no long term studies and where the manufacturers have been indemnified against any adverse outcomes.....you don't smell a rat? I do...

Tell me why this virus is portrayed as a killer, when it seems orchestrated that people are not given any early interventions that are readily available, so that the virus takes hold with nothing but a compromised immune system to stop it, and hospitalization and sometimes death inevitably follows? Equally qualified medical experts are telling us that early intervention will save lives, and yet the medical personnel in hospitals are instructed to do nothing. Drugs can be offered as early treatment and have proven to be successful in places where vaccines are in short supply or unaffordable. So if early intervention can save lives, why are these being withheld? The trials are done....the results are in.
Daughter: Mommy, why don't I have that mark on my shoulder like you?
Mother: Oh that? That's from my polio vaccination.
Daughter: Why don't I have that?
Mother: Because I did...
Or possibly because no one has a shot for polio anymore. Oral Sabin has been used for the last 50 odd years...where have you been?
You cannot compare the vaccines offered in this pandemic with those of the past. This virus is very new and mutating rapidly. These are likely human engineered animal to human viruses....very different. Like swine flu, bird flu, etc...these have animals hosts.

These more recently developed viruses are animal to human transmission, which makes them more difficult to control.
In order to eliminate the virus, you have to also eliminate the animals hosts as well.

Most of the other viruses that once threatened the world were human to human transmissions, which are easier to vaccinate against with only human hosts.
My mother is an anti vaxer. I can tell that she feels very authoritative when she looks you in the eye to inform you that all vaccinated people will get severly sick within 2 years.

In truth, she knows much less then those who have dedicated their lives to such studies.
Or she has actually heard both sides of the story and knows which one doesn't add up. Am I suspicious of the present propaganda? You bet I am.
I am not an anti-vaxer peer se, but I do like to know what is in these vaccines and how thoroughly they are tested. These current vaccines are purely experimental. Every recipient is a guinea pig.

If you have time here are a couple of videos featuring a leading virologist, Geet Vanden Bossche....
https://youtu.be/w3xq4cEHT0s

https://youtu.be/ZJZxiNxYLpc

The warnings are being ignored and these experts are accused of promoting misinformation. What they are warning about is extremely serious for the future of all who are caught up in this dilemma....

https://theconversation.com/israel-was- ... ere-166945
The majority of C19 cases in hospital in Israel are double vaccinated...so something is very wrong here.

Ignore the warnings at your own risk.....there is so much more to this issue than most people realize.
A Houston doctor who praises hydroxychloroquine and says that face masks aren’t necessary to stop transmission of the highly contagious coronavirus has become a star on the right-wing internet, garnering tens of millions of views on Facebook on Monday alone. Donald Trump Jr. declared the video of Stella Immanuel a “must watch,” while Donald Trump himself retweeted the video.

Before Trump and his supporters embrace Immanuel’s medical expertise, though, they should consider other medical claims Immanuel has made—including those about alien DNA and the physical effects of having sex with witches and demons in your dreams.

Immanuel, a pediatrician and a religious minister, has a history of making bizarre claims about medical topics and other issues. She has often claimed that gynecological problems like cysts and endometriosis are in fact caused by people having sex in their dreams with demons and witches.

She alleges alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments, and that scientists are cooking up a vaccine to prevent people from being religious. And, despite appearing in Washington, D.C. to lobby Congress on Monday, she has said that the government is run in part not by humans but by “reptilians” and other aliens.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/stella-im ... hloroquine

I'll say it again. Pretending and eventually convincing yourself that you (generic you) know more than the professionals on a matter is a very empowering feeling. A feeling many people don't want to lose.

There is no shortage of these kind of people out that pretent to know more then those who have dedicated their lives to such studies.
For example:
https://twitter.com/FlatEarthOrg?ref_sr ... r%5Eauthor
or
Like Stella Immanuel above.

Should I listen to a veterinarian, someone who believes in Lizard people, or our actual professionals?

I do not deny that greed is likely involved in the treatment of Covid. Heck, I like to make money when I have an opportunity as well. Corporations out to make money does not justify lizard people running our government and other such non-sense though. Corporations out to make money should be expected! Not something that should suprise anyone IMO.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb