A Statue of Evangelist Billy Graham Will Soon Go Up in the U.S. Capitol

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

A Statue of Evangelist Billy Graham Will Soon Go Up in the U.S. Capitol

Post #1

Post by Miles »

" A life-sized statue of the Rev. Billy Graham will be installed in the U.S. Capitol’s Statuary Hall collection sometime next year, replacing a statue of a white supremacist that both the state of North Carolina and the U.S. House want removed.

Last week, a North Carolina legislative committee approved a 2-foot model of the statue depicting the famous evangelist who died in 2018.

...................................Image

The U.S. Capitol, Statuary Hall collection consists of 100 statues of prominent people — two from each state. Graham, a North Carolina native who was born on a dairy farm in Charlotte, will take the place of Charles Aycock (1859-1912), a former governor.

Aycock was one of the masterminds of the 1898 Wilmington, North Carolina, race riot and coup, in which a local government made up of Black Americans was overthrown and replaced by white officials. North Carolina's other statue is of Zebulon Vance (1830-1894), a former governor and U.S. senator who was also a Confederate military officer.

With statues to white supremacists and Confederate leaders toppling across the nation, North Carolina’s reconsideration might seem timely. But in fact, installing a statue of Graham at the U.S. Capitol had widespread support long before the most recent reckoning on race."
source

It certainly seems to be a violation of the First Amendment to me.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Re: A Statue of Evangelist Billy Graham Will Soon Go Up in the U.S. Capitol

Post #2

Post by bluegreenearth »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

A statue of the bigot, Billy Graham, will be just as offensive.

Menotu
Sage

Post #3

Post by Menotu »

Miles wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:27 pm .

" A life-sized statue of the Rev. Billy Graham will be installed in the U.S. Capitol’s Statuary Hall collection sometime next year, replacing a statue of a white supremacist that both the state of North Carolina and the U.S. House want removed.

Last week, a North Carolina legislative committee approved a 2-foot model of the statue depicting the famous evangelist who died in 2018.

The U.S. Capitol, Statuary Hall collection consists of 100 statues of prominent people — two from each state. Graham, a North Carolina native who was born on a dairy farm in Charlotte, will take the place of Charles Aycock (1859-1912), a former governor.

Aycock was one of the masterminds of the 1898 Wilmington, North Carolina, race riot and coup, in which a local government made up of Black Americans was overthrown and replaced by white officials. North Carolina's other statue is of Zebulon Vance (1830-1894), a former governor and U.S. senator who was also a Confederate military officer.

With statues to white supremacists and Confederate leaders toppling across the nation, North Carolina’s reconsideration might seem timely. But in fact, installing a statue of Graham at the U.S. Capitol had widespread support long before the most recent reckoning on race."
source

I wonder if they'd allow other religious leaders to be erected on site?
Has anyone started any type of petition to do so?
If not, they should.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Menotu wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:56 pm
Miles wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:27 pm .

source

I wonder if they'd allow other religious leaders to be erected on site?
Has anyone started any type of petition to do so?
If not, they should.
Well, he isn't the first. Here are eight other religious leaders who are in the U.S. Capitol’s Statuary Hall collection. Those in red are principally honored for their religious efforts. Those in blue are honored for their efforts aside from their religion,

Father Damien, Hawaii

Mother Joseph, Washington

Fr. Eusebio Kino, Arizona

Jason Lee, Oregon

Fr. Jacques Marquette,
Wisconsin

Junipero Serra, California

Roger Williams,
Rhode Island

Brigham Young, Utah

Rev. Billy Graham, North Carolina
source

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

As long as other religious leaders are allowed, it shouldn't be a problem. While I don't think any religious leader should be allowed, so long as they're including others.....?
If someone asked for a Islamic leader to be added and it was denied, then there would be a problem if we're being honest. But people aren't honest.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #6

Post by The Barbarian »

bluegreenearth wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:10 am [Replying to Miles in post #1]

It may have been the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark school desegregation ruling of Brown V. Board of Education in 1954 that really opened Graham’s eyes to social injustices toward Black people in America. After that decision, he began declining invitations to preach to segregated congregations and later held integrated crusades in Alabama. Even more, his relationship with King grew after their meeting in 1957, when he paid to bail the civil rights leader out go jail.

Reflecting on his involvement in the equality movement, Graham regretted not doing more.

“I think I made a mistake when I didn’t go to Selma,” he admitted to the Associated Press in 2005. Several White clergyman had joined with King in the historic Alabama march, which was a pivotal moment in the struggle.

https://wzakcleveland.com/3787115/billy ... explained/

Seems as though he was less of a bigot than a lot of evangelists today.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #7

Post by bluegreenearth »

The Barbarian wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 pm
bluegreenearth wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:10 am [Replying to Miles in post #1]

It may have been the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark school desegregation ruling of Brown V. Board of Education in 1954 that really opened Graham’s eyes to social injustices toward Black people in America. After that decision, he began declining invitations to preach to segregated congregations and later held integrated crusades in Alabama. Even more, his relationship with King grew after their meeting in 1957, when he paid to bail the civil rights leader out go jail.

Reflecting on his involvement in the equality movement, Graham regretted not doing more.

“I think I made a mistake when I didn’t go to Selma,” he admitted to the Associated Press in 2005. Several White clergyman had joined with King in the historic Alabama march, which was a pivotal moment in the struggle.

https://wzakcleveland.com/3787115/billy ... explained/

Seems as though he was less of a bigot than a lot of evangelists today.
Are you implying that the only way someone could be described as a bigot is if the person was a racist, or are you implying that Graham was just not a racial bigot?

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #8

Post by The Barbarian »

Are you implying that the only way someone could be described as a bigot is if the person was a racist, or are you implying that Graham was just not a racial bigot?
He seems to have gotten along just fine with Catholics, for example:
https://chnetwork.org/2018/02/21/billy- ... ic-church/

But I guess there are endless ways to be a bigot. What did you have in mind?

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #9

Post by bluegreenearth »

The Barbarian wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 am He seems to have gotten along just fine with Catholics, for example:
https://chnetwork.org/2018/02/21/billy- ... ic-church/

But I guess there are endless ways to be a bigot. What did you have in mind?
Well, he wasn't flying any rainbow flags.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #10

Post by The Barbarian »

Graham was against homosexuality, that is true. His stand seems to have been against the practice of homosexuality, but I can't find any indication that he favored abusing homosexuals or taking away their rights.

Pretty much what the Catholic Church says.