https://www.yahoo.com/news/prehistoric- ... 10424.html

Just goes to show we haven't discovered or know everything
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: An absolutely STUNNING discovery

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Just to enhance your OP a bit, part of the petroglyph mentioned.

source

"An eight-mile wall of prehistoric rock art featuring animals and humans has been discovered in the Chiribiquete National Park, Colombia, in the Amazon rainforest.

Dubbed the “Sistine Chapel of the ancients”, the 12,500-years-old artwork was uncovered by a British-Colombian team of archaeologists under the leadership of José Iriarte, professor of archaeology at Exeter University, and was funded by the European Research Council.

Experts have dated the rock art based on the portrayal of animals that are now extinct, such as a mastodon — a prehistoric relative of the elephant, known to have inhabited North and Central America about 12,000 years ago. Among other animals portrayed in the rock art are fish, turtles, lizards and birds and people dancing and holding hands, reported The Observer."

What I find troubling is how fresh the glyphs are; the edges are crisp and there's no sign of running color. I would think that after 12,000 years there would be significant weathering, leaving the iron oxide, or whatever medium they used, all but obliterated. My bet is that they were made rather recently; no more than a hundred years or so ago, and maybe even sooner, and at least some of it as a hoax.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:31 pm .

source

"An eight-mile wall of prehistoric rock art featuring animals and humans has been discovered in the Chiribiquete National Park, Colombia, in the Amazon rainforest.

Dubbed the “Sistine Chapel of the ancients”, the 12,500-years-old artwork was uncovered by a British-Colombian team of archaeologists under the leadership of José Iriarte, professor of archaeology at Exeter University, and was funded by the European Research Council.

Experts have dated the rock art based on the portrayal of animals that are now extinct, such as a mastodon — a prehistoric relative of the elephant, known to have inhabited North and Central America about 12,000 years ago. Among other animals portrayed in the rock art are fish, turtles, lizards and birds and people dancing and holding hands, reported The Observer."

What I find troubling is how fresh the glyphs are; the edges are crisp and there's no sign of running color. I would think that after 12,000 years there would be significant weathering, leaving the iron oxide, or whatever medium they used, all but obliterated. My bet is that they were made rather recently; no more than a hundred years or so ago, and maybe even sooner, and at least some of it as a hoax.

Thank you for that
It's really breathtaking
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

This is not a petroglyph, it is a pictograph. Petroglyphs are carvings or etchings in rock. What we have here is painting on rock.

As far as your concerns about it's authenticity, we'll just call that an interesting perspective.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:54 pm

This is not a petroglyph, it is a pictograph. Petroglyphs are carvings or etchings in rock. What we have here is painting on rock.
I stand corrected.

Thanks.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #6

Post by The Barbarian »

Dating and authenticating will take some time. I for one, hope that this is what it appears to be. It would be an amazing source of information about some of the earliest people in the New World.