Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Twitter Permanently Dumps Trump

Post #1

Post by Miles »

Your Friday day brightener. :D

"After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence," Twitter's official "Safety" account tweeted.

Twitter permanently suspended President Donald Trump’s account on Friday, citing “the risk of further incitement of violence.”

The president’s account, with 88 million followers, was initially banned for 12 hours on Jan. 6 due to “severe violations of our Civic Integrity policy,” after he used the platform to tweet condemnation against Vice President Mike Pence as his supporters stormed the Capitol.

“After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” the company said in a tweet.

The company banned the president’s account after years of public pressure and several attempts to limit the reach of his account in recent days. Hundreds of Twitter employees signed a letter urging Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to ban the president for using the platform to incite violence in the wake of the Capitol siege, according to The Washington Post.

“In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action,” Twitter said in a blog post. “Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open.”

source

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Twitter Permanently Dumps Trump

Post #2

Post by AgnosticBoy »

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

The only question I have is on the standard. What do we consider "inciting". Does simply questioning the election count as "inciting"? Does using figurative language count as inciting violence? Does demanding uncivil protest count as violence or violent protest? What incites one person may not incite another? And of course, most importantly, is this standard applied consistently or is it selective? Some of this seems subjective.

I hope we can get some rational based answers/standards to these questions in the coming months as opposed to just political or knee-jerk reactions,, otherwise we risk banning a lot of things or it may just amount to censorship.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:23 pm .

Your Friday day brightener. :D

"After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence," Twitter's official "Safety" account tweeted.

Twitter permanently suspended President Donald Trump’s account on Friday, citing “the risk of further incitement of violence.”

The president’s account, with 88 million followers, was initially banned for 12 hours on Jan. 6 due to “severe violations of our Civic Integrity policy,” after he used the platform to tweet condemnation against Vice President Mike Pence as his supporters stormed the Capitol.

“After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence,” the company said in a tweet.

The company banned the president’s account after years of public pressure and several attempts to limit the reach of his account in recent days. Hundreds of Twitter employees signed a letter urging Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to ban the president for using the platform to incite violence in the wake of the Capitol siege, according to The Washington Post.

“In the context of horrific events this week, we made it clear on Wednesday that additional violations of the Twitter Rules would potentially result in this very course of action,” Twitter said in a blog post. “Our public interest framework exists to enable the public to hear from elected officials and world leaders directly. It is built on a principle that the people have a right to hold power to account in the open.”

source

Works for me. As I understand it, as a private company, Twitter can do what they want with someone's speech. I would suspect they would also do the same to others doing the same thing, though I'm not on Twitter so can't say for sure. Even if they don't, the more donny is hindered the better. Not just because he's a terrible president, but because he's a terrible person even before his Apprentice show (IMO of course).
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

theQuestion
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by theQuestion »

I've Permannetly Dumped Twatter & Rearbook.
Mewe is ideal: Parler is just like Rearbook...
You MUST worship with spirit & TRUTH!- Jesus

Rational Atheist
Student

Post #5

Post by Rational Atheist »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #3]

I don't agree with the argument that Twitter is a private company and therefore that gives them the right to restrict speech. At a certain point, a private social media company becomes big enough that it becomes a public platform. If only one side of a political debate is allowed to have a voice on all the major public platforms, then there is a problem, because this so-called "private" company is now able to manipulate the results of an election by deciding what people are allowed to publicly say and view. Not only that, but they are also able to dictate people's behaviors. Why do you think big tech companies have censored anyone who disagrees with the general consensus on COVID and 'social distancing?' When you consider the fact that 'isolation' and 'social distancing' has resulted in record profits for these big tech companies, it makes me question whether the motive for their "position" on "social distancing" is motivated by safety or by the preservation of their own self-interest (money).

So, the bottom line is, once a platform becomes big enough, even if it is technically privately owned, it should be treated as a public forum for free speech. I don't know exactly what the size of the platform needs to be, however.

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by thomasdixon »

What concerns me the most is the persons who stormed the White House and their followers.

Most of them honestly believed what Trump was saying

Being good American citizens, they honestly believed they were doing the right thing based on what the president of the USA was saying.

I hope the FBI and local police understand this. I would not object to pardons for most of them. Those who used this for devious purposes need to be charge for their crime.
8-)

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Rational Atheist in post #5]

Legally it is private and can do what it pleases so long as it doesn't discriminately against protected people. Is it 'moral' is it 'right' is it 'just', that's all a matter of opinion.

No one is forced to use it. You (said generally) don't like its rules, you're free to move on, no matter how larger the company may be or how members of that platform want to use said platform.

If someone only uses social media for facts, they have serious issues IMO. It's a space for fun and opinions first and foremost. It doesn't' exist for peer reviews, documentaries or a legitimate new outlet. It's FOR FUN and ENTERTAINMENT, nothing more regardless of what people want to make it in to or how large it gets. Just because people get their 'news' from it doesn't make it a legitimate new outlet.

I saw on a FB feed someone complaining that, now since donny is gone from Twitter, he can't talk to the America people. Seriously?!? There are NO other outlets for him? He can't call a press conference? A radio broadcast even?!? People thinking this leads to this issue of 'bad Twitter'. Twitter isn't the end-all-be-all for communication. Good word people come on!

Donny's a spoiled man-child that isn't used to being told no and doesn't want to face anyone because he's afraid to do that; he just likes to sit back, blow off steam and claim he's right and not take responsibility for anything unless it benefits him and a couple of his kids. If his supporters want to hear that 24/7/365, they're free to create their own, privately owned social media platform.

Rational Atheist
Student

Post #8

Post by Rational Atheist »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #7]

The problem is when Big Tech companies become powerful to alter the results of elections. For instance, Google's programmers can intentionally make websites that affirm certain political affiliations harder to find. Facebook (which is used by over 200 million Americans) does not allow people to question the mainstream narratives about certain topics (COVID is one example), allegedly in the interest of public safety. But should we allow these Big Tech companies to decide what is 'safe' and 'unsafe' or which opinions should be protected and which shouldn't? I don't think so. I think that rational discussion should be permitted about these issues. Simply trying to silence and shame one side isn't productive, and is certainly not what the founders had in mind when it came to free speech, especially considering that the internet is the primary vehicle of free speech and public discourse in the 21st century.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

Rational Atheist wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:46 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #7]

The problem is when Big Tech companies become powerful to alter the results of elections. For instance, Google's programmers can intentionally make websites that affirm certain political affiliations harder to find. Facebook (which is used by over 200 million Americans) does not allow people to question the mainstream narratives about certain topics (COVID is one example), allegedly in the interest of public safety. But should we allow these Big Tech companies to decide what is 'safe' and 'unsafe' or which opinions should be protected and which shouldn't? I don't think so. I think that rational discussion should be permitted about these issues. Simply trying to silence and shame one side isn't productive, and is certainly not what the founders had in mind when it came to free speech, especially considering that the internet is the primary vehicle of free speech and public discourse in the 21st century.
The problem is people are stupid, thanks to the eroding of the education system, not social media (but it is pretty annoying TBH). Social media (as supplied by tech companies) are giving people what people want! People want to be told, not to think. People are lazy and want things done for them. People don't care about the 'here and now' or about most anyone other than themselves. This thinking was here long before tech companies - they simply amplified current human nature.
If someone is looking to FB or IG or TT for news and information, there's a problem not with FB, IG or TT, but with the individual.
Tech companies aren't 'angels' and they do need controlled to various degrees, but they're not 'the devil' like so many want to make them out to be. If we want to see 'the devil', we, as humans, need to look no further but inside ourselves. Blaming tech companies is scapegoating.
People need to stop being lazy, stand up, dust themselves off, take responsibility for their own actions, and make a plan to better themselves and the planet the occupy before pointing fingers at companies giving people what they want.