Mask mandates

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Mask mandates

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In the USA (at least), there are those who say 'personal freedom' more than 'being safe from the (COVID) virus'. By in large, I've personally noticed, in my area at least, most people who are wearing masks (where it's not mandated) aren't white people.

I don't want this thread to turn into a 'mask is good or bad' debate.
Instead, I want to look at the demographics of those that say 'NO' to wearing masks and try to see if there is anything 'racial' at play here and, if so, why.

In your area, have you noticed less white people wearing masks than anyone else, or is it about even?
And if it's not even, why do you think that is?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Mask mandates

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Where I live (Canada), EVERYONE that I've seen is wearing a mask where they are supposed to be. i.e. in stores where you are required to wear one. The only people that I know of that are ranting online about their rights being trampled or some such nonsense are Christians and it has nothing to do with their skin color. I realize my data set is small, so take from it what you will.

I haven't seen anyone in an establishment requiring masks actually ignoring that mandate. Soon we will have vaccine passports and there will be more complaining. At that point, I assume establishments that require proof of vaccination will be screening for both that and mask usage.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

benchwarmer wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:03 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Where I live (Canada), EVERYONE that I've seen is wearing a mask where they are supposed to be. i.e. in stores where you are required to wear one. The only people that I know of that are ranting online about their rights being trampled or some such nonsense are Christians and it has nothing to do with their skin color. I realize my data set is small, so take from it what you will.

I haven't seen anyone in an establishment requiring masks actually ignoring that mandate. Soon we will have vaccine passports and there will be more complaining. At that point, I assume establishments that require proof of vaccination will be screening for both that and mask usage.
Thanks for the response. I asked not to start a 'race war' or the like. But I was out this afternoon and noticed every black person I saw had a mask on and only a small portion of white people did. Here, masks aren't mandated yet, but it made me wonder if there's some sort of cultural 'thing' that is at play here.
Maybe it's nothing than a bad sample set on my part. But still, it made me wonder

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

FWIW, wherever I go it seems everyone wears a mask, white and non-white alike.

According to the World Population Review, where I live, which shall remain nameless, 86% of the population is "White" with the balance, 14%, comprised of "Two or more races," "Asian," "Black or African American," "Native American," and "Other race," with descending percentages in that order.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:47 am In the USA (at least), there are those who say 'personal freedom' more than 'being safe from the (COVID) virus'. By in large, I've personally noticed, in my area at least, most people who are wearing masks (where it's not mandated) aren't white people.

I don't want this thread to turn into a 'mask is good or bad' debate.
Instead, I want to look at the demographics of those that say 'NO' to wearing masks and try to see if there is anything 'racial' at play here and, if so, why.

In your area, have you noticed less white people wearing masks than anyone else, or is it about even?
And if it's not even, why do you think that is?
I've noticed this too. White people tend to be mindless and selfish whereas others tend to respect the rights of others. I'm not saying this is true in every case but when people get demonsied consistently there's usually a reason. This is just my opinion but what I imagine is going through the majority of their heads is that if they're already sick, they want to get everyone else sick because that equals a competitive benefit to themselves. It's pathetic. It's a reaction to being fairly outcompeted in literally everything, so they decide to compete unfairly, using aggression, hurting others, because it's the only way they can hope to win. Maybe, they think, someone else will even die, and that person had a job, so that equals one more job they could potentially get. However, the lockdowns themselves aren't blameless in this status quo. Too many people lost their jobs, and too many white people didn't get them back because there was too much better competition. IMO, if you can't employment freeze, you can't shut down.

One thing I will say for the freetard side is that it's very inconsistent when the government will tell us, "No, you can't do that, because if it saves one life..." and when something dangerous will remain legal despite the risk to others. Some on the freedom side wonder why we didn't have to wear masks for the flu, and why it wasn't considered common courtesy then. People do die from the flu, just not as many.

Now there are a lot of selfish lunatics who won't do the right thing regardless. But I can't say how many would just do the right thing if people would be clear with them about what the thresholds were. The conspiracy nuts have every right to think the coronavirus lockdowns were a political stunt to crash the economy and make Trump look bad by taking away the one point where he did well, because nobody was ever clear on how many people have to die before we lock down and why it was never done for the flu. Every day we accept that 100+ people are going to keel over from the flu and we just let them die for the sake of the economy.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #5]
This is just my opinion but what I imagine is going through the majority of their heads is that if they're already sick, they want to get everyone else sick because that equals a competitive benefit to themselves.
Wow. If that's true, it's truly sick. I hope it's not, but who knows anymore?
I have relatives that, while thinking there were no people on the 9/11 planes and the US government is 'coming for my guns' think COVID is a lie (even when their parents had it - parents who believed it was a lie even when they had it). My cousin and I spoke about this at length. For us, at least, it seems it's a case of 'you can't tell me what to do!'.
It's pathetic.
200%
However, the lockdowns themselves aren't blameless in this status quo.
I think that's having a bigger effect than people thought it would, myself included. But, in a sense, I can see why people are hesitant to wear masks. And the US government hasn't given their constituents good reason to 'trust them' in the past, so....

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:24 amAnd the US government hasn't given their constituents good reason to 'trust them' in the past, so....
That's why I can at least understand it. At one point they flat-out lied, saying they were only utilising lockdowns to "flatten the curve" because the hospitals didn't have the capacity. It's a situation where I have sympathy for both sides, because they've just reached an impasse.

The government is forced to lie to idiots or the idiots won't do what is necessary.

The idiots are now onto the fact that they're being lied to and refuse to do what is necessary, and at this point they aren't entirely to blame because they were lied to.

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:48 pmWhite people tend to be mindless and selfish whereas others tend to respect the rights of others.

Now there are a lot of selfish lunatics who won't do the right thing regardless.

The conspiracy nuts ...
I appreciate not making this a race war, but also please avoid making negative labels of any group.

As for the OP, yes, I experience non-whites wearing masks more often than whites. Yesterday, I went to an Asian church, and everybody was wearing a mask. Today, I went to a Caucasian church, and nobody was wearing a mask.

Why do I think that is? I think part of it is the history of the pandemic. Asia has been quite experienced with pandemics (SARS) and knew how to handle covid. The public didn't think twice about masks when covid hit. Even in early 2000, Asians in the US was wearing masks, before the CDC issued any recommendations.

As for non-white, non-Asians wearing masks, I have no insight into this.

tam
Savant

Post #9

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

I also live in Canada, and everyone wears a mask who is supposed to be wearing a mask (as far as I can tell). When the mask mandate was removed for the summer here where I live, some people continued to wear masks and some didn't, but I never noticed if that was more common among white people than any other people. *shrugs*

Peace again to you all!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

otseng wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:56 am
Purple Knight wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:48 pmWhite people tend to be mindless and selfish whereas others tend to respect the rights of others.

Now there are a lot of selfish lunatics who won't do the right thing regardless.

The conspiracy nuts ...
I appreciate not making this a race war, but also please avoid making negative labels of any group.
It's difficult if that then amounts to questions that can't be asked about why there is this tendency if the answer might be something that displeases people.

The answer might be that it's culture. The answer might be that white cultures happen to be freedom cultures, and if the culture permeates, it's totally fine for people to not wear masks if they really all care more about "muh freedom" than the slight risk that they could die.

But the answer also might be that white people are just inherently less respectful of the rights of others. Even if this is true, it might be because there's a prevailing opinion, popularised by critical race theory, that white people only act in their own interests, so they might not care about others because they see it as pointless since they'll get slapped in the face anyway, and it might be that most people of all races would behave this way if they got slapped in the face and called selfish and evil for their kindness.

But it also might be that white people are just selfish and evil... inherently.

If something unthinkable like this is true, it's still possible to live peacefully but only if we acknowledge the problem. The going theory is that white people behave in an evil and racist manner, and yes, it's all of them, but it's because of upbringing, power, and culture. If it's actually inherent, behaving as if it's not is intensely hurtful to both sides, as whites make the attempt to change their culture, change how they raise their children, and make laws that distribute power more equally, but then POCs see no changes, and continue to verbally slap white people in the face, assuming they must not have made any effort, because, you see, since the problem was upbringing, power, and culture, if that had been changed, then positive results would be seen.

It's like telling someone with down syndrome they can be a nuclear physicist if they only tried, so because they fail, they must not have tried. I see failing to explore the possibility that the problem might be inherent as the more cruel and hateful. Abusive even.