Desantis and his 'bill'

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Desantis and his 'bill'

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In the USA, it's been all over the news for weeks: Florida governor signed the parental support bill (I think it's officially called) but it's 'known' as the 'Don't Say Gay' bill.
I've read all the bill (it's only 7-8 pages) so it's not very long, which is odd for politics in the USA. The bill is said to have been created to provide parents with control over what their (young) kids learn about sexuality. The bill is targeted to elementary school children, the sponsors say. In it, it speaks about prohibiting schools from discussing sexuality in general as well as the students' sexuality. This would make sense for 1st, 2nd, even 3rd graders most would say.
The problems are on the ambiguity of the bill.
Even though it's said to target elementary aged students, it doesn't specifically say ages or grades and could be interpreted for grades K through 12.
Additionally, it could be interpreted to include school employees from being able to mention anything outside of their classroom (if a student asks their female teacher where they got XYZ, the teacher can't say 'My wife and I bought them at....'; pictures of the teacher's family can't be seen in the classroom; same sex teachers can't bring their significant others/spouses to school functions, etc).
Many would say 'Well, teachers shouldn't be discussing their personal lives with students anyway', which is true, however, especially in higher grades, it becomes all but impossible to require teachers to remember to eliminate all influences of their lives outside the classroom.

Aside from this fact, my concern is, if this is 'for the protection of the children', where are the bills requiring more pay for and better teachers; where are the bills to keep weapons out of schools; where are the bills on funding better education for these 'precious' students; where's the funding to promote more classes like art, music and others that help keep kids off the streets and out of gangs and drugs? Where are these bills?

I find this bill to be nothing more than the following:
Low hanging fruit for a former 'pro-Trumper' with his eyes on the White House
A means to 'stick it to' anyone other than straight people and kids (because they can't legally discriminate against women, blacks, etc)
Using children to pander to the ignorant and fearful, not only for votes but also money and influence. At what point do people step back, use their brains, and see how elected officials, over the past few years (yes, it's been happening 'forever' but hte past several years seems to have had an uptick), have been serving their own personal agenda and not the agenda of the citizens they're supposed to serve?

For discussion:
In the USA, what will it take for the majority of people to see how politicians are using them to fund their own personal agenda?
What will it take for people to put a stop to power hungry politicians and force people in office that actually care for the citizens instead of their own personal gain?
Or will that never happen?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!