Amazon workers union

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Amazon workers union

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

I am no authority on such matters but this seems like a good start. Surely it can only be a good thing for workers to have a united voice? To have chance to improve their health, safety and pay, also better working conditions.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Amazon workers union

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:47 am I am no authority on such matters but this seems like a good start. Surely it can only be a good thing for workers to have a united voice? To have chance to improve their health, safety and pay, also better working conditions.
Let's just hope that the leaders of the union truly have the worker's best interest in mind. In many of the UAW strikes in the 70s, the workers ended up with less pay overall due to not getting paid during the strike. Unions can be great and have provided better work situations for many. Let's hope that is the end result here.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

Yes, there is always a down side.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:47 am I am no authority on such matters but this seems like a good start. Surely it can only be a good thing for workers to have a united voice? To have chance to improve their health, safety and pay, also better working conditions.
Unions are organizations that are ripe with negative potential, no matter the original intention. This is the human condition: those in power like it, seek more power and more money, though this applies not only to unions.
And yes, there may be some unions that provide for their members, but in general (from my experience) unions are terrible eventually. Both for the employer and employee. And, eventually, the consumer.
If the employee treats their employees fairly, there is no need for a union. Just the treat of a union is enough to make employers wake up and start treating their employees well.
I've been told working for Amazon can be a nightmare (from floor workers to delivery drivers to managers) so it seems something may need to be addressed with them, there. But, IMO, a union is never the answer in todays' world.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #5

Post by The Barbarian »

Unions are to employers what police are to society in general. There are employers who would be decent to employees regardless. But there are always those who aren't, and those who aren't often are thereby at a competitive advantage against those who are.

Hence unions. The rise of unions in recent years is merely a response to the irresponsible employers, and the shocking decline of the middle class thereby. Unfortunately, we will always need police and unions.