Marriage

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Marriage

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

A lot has been said in regards to 'marriage' over the years: can it be same sex or only opposite sex; can it be with related people or only unrelated people; can it be of people of different or only the same race or religion; etc.

Outside of each locations' current specific laws, for discussion:

1) Who should be allowed to be legally married?
2) Should there be any age requirements? If so, what should they be?
3) Should 'legally married' be the same as 'married' from a religious connotation?

The question came up after reviewing this article:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tennessee-le ... 32950.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Marriage

Post #2

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:05 pm A lot has been said in regards to 'marriage' over the years: can it be same sex or only opposite sex; can it be with related people or only unrelated people; can it be of people of different or only the same race or religion; etc.

3) Should 'legally married' be the same as 'married' from a religious connotation?

Anyone who wants to as long as the possibility of pregnancy is eliminated among close relatives, AND there is no power differential at play.

There should, and I would put the minimum age at 21 for each.

Of course not, what would a poor atheist like myself do to insure I could sleep-in on Sundays?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:27 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:05 pm A lot has been said in regards to 'marriage' over the years: can it be same sex or only opposite sex; can it be with related people or only unrelated people; can it be of people of different or only the same race or religion; etc.

Anyone who wants to as long as the possibility of pregnancy is eliminated among close relatives, AND there is no power differential at play.

Of course not, what would a poor atheist like myself do to insure I could sleep-in on Sundays?

Good point on #3 - never thought of that :approve:
In regards to the age, a bit off topic, but it strikes me that (in the USA at least you can vote and die for your country at 18 but not drink until 21.... seems like if one age is good for one (or more) things, it should be good for everything, no?

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:01 am

In regards to the age, a bit off topic, but it strikes me that (in the USA at least you can vote and die for your country at 18 but not drink until 21.... seems like if one age is good for one (or more) things, it should be good for everything, no?
Yeah, I thought about the 18 age thing, but don't see a compelling correlation. I see the two in terms of capability. While just about every 18 year-old can fight in combat, and fight well, IMO very few 18 year-olds, male and female, are ready for marriage. Marriage being a whole other ball game.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:16 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:01 am

Yeah, I thought about the 18 age thing, but don't see a compelling correlation. I see the two in terms of capability. While just about every 18 year-old can fight in combat, and fight well, IMO very few 18 year-olds, male and female, are ready for marriage. Marriage being a whole other ball game.

True. However, simply because one turns 18 doesn't mean they're mature enough for certain things. I suspect many who are 25 aren't mature enough to get married, as can be seen by the myriad of divorces that come about from young people. But, TBH, I wonder if most anyone is mature enough for marriage at any age :D

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

Perhaps also whose business it is to interfere and judge when two people truly love each other?

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:41 am Perhaps also whose business it is to interfere and judge when two people truly love each other?
Yeah! Sex and whatever else, b&d, s&m, and even pb&j for all true lovers, be they 30 or 13.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

I mean there is and should be so much to a worthwhile relationship than the physical part. If two people truly love each other and wish to build a life together, it is not for others to judge or interfere - as long as no laws are broken.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:00 pm I mean there is and should be so much to a worthwhile relationship than the physical part. If two people truly love each other and wish to build a life together, it is not for others to judge or interfere - as long as no laws are broken.
The last part is of concern to some. In some places (Africa, the Middle East, even in the USA), it's illegal to be anything than a 'male and female, married, couple'.
While there are those on the fringe that 'demand' people respect them and their relationship, I think most people are content with 'I want to be able to marry whom I wish without laws prohibiting it like everyone else' and the like.
Sometimes antiquated laws need to change to better accommodate society.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Rose2020 »

So what goes through the minds of those who disapprove of how certain people arrange their private lives?
In other words why are so many people intent on interfering with the happiness of others?