Microaggression

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Microaggression

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

When people's biases against marginalized groups reveal themselves in a way that leaves their victims feeling uncomfortable or insulted...the kinds of remarks, questions, or actions that are painful because they have to do with a person's membership in a group that's discriminated against or subject to stereotypes.
From here: https://www.vox.com/2015/2/16/8031073/w ... ggressions

For discussion:
Are these actions something that's 'new' to society, or has it always been around and simply given a name?
Is this something that will exist for as long as humans exist, or can humans stamp it out permanently?
Have you experienced this? And if so, can you share the experience?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Re: Microaggression

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:21 am Have you experienced this? And if so, can you share the experience?
It happens on this forum quite regularly. Because I identify as an atheist, I've been told that I have no morals and that my life is meaningless. Neither are true.

Being shunned by family members and former friends for the same reason may go beyond microaggression, but I've experienced that too.

One of the worst examples I've experienced with microaggression is when I shared with a group that I used to be a youth pastor but left the ministry and am now an atheist. I was accused of pretending to be a Christian in order not to lose my job and with attempting to "drag the youth into atheism." The facts are that I left the ministry a couple of decades before becoming an atheist and that none of the folks I used to minister to have any idea that I am now an atheist.

It would be easy to pretend that this isn't hurtful, but of course it is. As I've said many times, I'm pretty much the same guy I was before minus the belief in God thing. But, as soon as some find out that I am an atheist the false stereotypes against atheists get applied to me.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:55 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:21 am Have you experienced this? And if so, can you share the experience?
It happens on this forum quite regularly. Because I identify as an atheist, I've been told that I have no morals and that my life is meaningless. Neither are true.

Being shunned by family members and former friends for the same reason may go beyond microaggression, but I've experienced that too.

One of the worst examples I've experienced with microaggression is when I shared with a group that I used to be a youth pastor but left the ministry and am now an atheist. I was accused of pretending to be a Christian in order not to lose my job and with attempting to "drag the youth into atheism." The facts are that I left the ministry a couple of decades before becoming an atheist and that none of the folks I used to minister to have any idea that I am now an atheist.

It would be easy to pretend that this isn't hurtful, but of course it is. As I've said many times, I'm pretty much the same guy I was before minus the belief in God thing. But, as soon as some find out that I am an atheist the false stereotypes against atheists get applied to me.

Tcg
I had a similar experience. I was told I was 'never a christian' because I thought my way out of it. That didn't hurt me as I don't give a rat's patoot about what christians think of me any longer (much like they don't care what I think of them, much to their benefit I can assure you).
This whole idea of 'grooming' is coming up a lot in the USA's politics and shows, to me, how much religion and politics are 'bedfellows'.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:55 am One of the worst examples I've experienced with microaggression is when I shared with a group that I used to be a youth pastor but left the ministry and am now an atheist. I was accused of pretending to be a Christian in order not to lose my job and with attempting to "drag the youth into atheism."
Because it's so much better when you have doubts to lie to the children about what you think.

I don't doubt your story but I also wonder what they would have wanted you to do if you'd had doubts while still in the youth ministry. You can:

1. Defrock yourself at the first pang of any doubt, in which case the children don't get someone who has actually given anything any thought
2. Hide your doubts from the children and lie to them, in which case you're, well... lying to them

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:19 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:55 am One of the worst examples I've experienced with microaggression is when I shared with a group that I used to be a youth pastor but left the ministry and am now an atheist. I was accused of pretending to be a Christian in order not to lose my job and with attempting to "drag the youth into atheism."
Because it's so much better when you have doubts to lie to the children about what you think.

I don't doubt your story but I also wonder what they would have wanted you to do if you'd had doubts while still in the youth ministry. You can:

1. Defrock yourself at the first pang of any doubt, in which case the children don't get someone who has actually given anything any thought
2. Hide your doubts from the children and lie to them, in which case you're, well... lying to them
I find it difficult to trust anyone who claims their faith doesn't include doubt. However, when it crosses the line to include disbelief it's time to leave the ministry. Fortunately, I left the ministry long before that for reasons unrelated to faith or doubt.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

I must say, reading the hurts expressed by atheists here make me feel ashamed. That is plain wrong. How awful to be rejected by self righteous family and friends who think that is how to follow Christ. Hardly an example!

I do hope I have not made anyone feel bad about themselves because they are not a Christian. If I have, I am sorry.

It makes me think about things and question myself. I hope that I never become a superior arrogant Christian because that is just awful.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:56 pm I must say, reading the hurts expressed by atheists here make me feel ashamed. That is plain wrong. How awful to be rejected by self righteous family and friends who think that is how to follow Christ. Hardly an example!

I do hope I have not made anyone feel bad about themselves because they are not a Christian. If I have, I am sorry.

It makes me think about things and question myself. I hope that I never become a superior arrogant Christian because that is just awful.
I think a lot of people would hope that not just for you but all people, christian or not. Unfortunately, this seems to be something that some people can't shake, chirsitian or not.
Some people, however, just like to be that way and don't want to rid themselves of it. It takes all kinds in this world, I suppose.
But I haven't seen anything of yours that shows anything but consideration and curiosity. :approve:

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #8

Post by The Barbarian »

If one wants to be a follower of Jesus, one should consider and emulate the way He interacted with non-believers, like the woman at the well or Zaccheus. Jesus was most scornful of those believers who did not act with justice and compassion.