Monkey pox

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Monkey pox

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Are we in any real danger and if so, who from?
This looks horrible and is affecting those who have not travelled. I hope it is not a new nightmare unfolding.

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: Monkey pox

Post #2

Post by Rose2020 »

Yes, I think it is time to begin waking up! Governments are starting to buy large smallpox vaccine stocks. They would not do this if danger was not real and imminent?

So - here we go again. Though this one does not seem likely to spread easily. Unless it is adapting itself. How on earth is it suddenly making a significant comeback anyway? It has been around for a long time.

I was hoping our childhood smallpox vaccines would still protect us to some extent? Looks like that is not the case however.

Whatever else, strong decisive action ought to be taken very quickly. Find out how monkey pox began, how it is spreading and why. Stop all travel between countries affected, starting with Africa.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 amYes, I think it is time to begin waking up! Governments are starting to buy large smallpox vaccine stocks. They would not do this if danger was not real and imminent?
Monkeypox and smallpox aren't the same thing, but similar enough that the same vaccine is effective for both. The original smallpox vaccine was just injecting a person with the cowpox virus (or perhaps horsepox), a milder disease that nonetheless conferred immunity to smallpox. The word vaccine, in fact, comes from vacca, Latin for "cow."
Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 amSo - here we go again. Though this one does not seem likely to spread easily. Unless it is adapting itself. How on earth is it suddenly making a significant comeback anyway? It has been around for a long time.
Wild smallpox is gone. There is no "comeback." Monkeypox is similar, but less virulent and less contagious. Any disease has the potential to become worse, though, and the governments buying the vaccine are the same ones caught flat-footed by COVID.
Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 amI was hoping our childhood smallpox vaccines would still protect us to some extent? Looks like that is not the case however.
They will. Where did you see that they wouldn't?
Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 amWhatever else, strong decisive action ought to be taken very quickly. Find out how monkey pox began, how it is spreading and why. Stop all travel between countries affected, starting with Africa.
That's not a mystery. Monkeypox is endemic to parts of Africa, including occasional spread to humans. The initial case in this particular round was contracted in Nigeria.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rose2020 »

I gather our smallpox vaccinations were effective for up to 5 years. So, we may need to be vaccinated en masses if this spreads . I will have whatever vaccine is offered, as I have no wish to suffer this disgusting eruption of skin sores and fever. I am still exhausted with long covid and heartily sick of having my life disrupted and the endless worry.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:44 pmI gather our smallpox vaccinations were effective for up to 5 years. So, we may need to be vaccinated en masses if this spreads . I will have whatever vaccine is offered, as I have no wish to suffer this disgusting eruption of skin sores and fever. I am still exhausted with long covid and heartily sick of having my life disrupted and the endless worry.
The CDC recommends that lab workers working with active virus get boosters regularly to be on the safe side, but there is strong evidence that a smallpox vaccination is essentially good for life.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

Why is it that monkeypox is mainly affecting gay men? It doesn't make sense and there must be a scientific explanation which is not made clear yet.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Inquirer »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:49 am Why is it that monkeypox is mainly affecting gay men? It doesn't make sense and there must be a scientific explanation which is not made clear yet.
This is instructive.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

Very complicated. Yet I wonder what's really going on. I daresay all will become clear in time.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Inquirer »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:50 am Very complicated. Yet I wonder what's really going on. I daresay all will become clear in time.
In brief, humanity is slowly destroying itself, seems unavoidable now.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:50 am Very complicated. Yet I wonder what's really going on. I daresay all will become clear in time.
Clearly, the universe has been finetuned to support virus life.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom