Miracles in current (and past) events

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Miracles in current (and past) events

Post #1

Post by achilles12604 »

I ran across this article and I found it very interesting. Non-theists constantly claim that the lack of mysterious or miraculous events directly implies that miracles are a myth and that the supernatural therefore can not be proven and the bible's miraculous claims are bogus.

But then something like this happens
Brazilian woman survives after being shot in head 6 times
Posted 11/11/2006 11:57 AM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) — A Brazilian woman who was shot six times in the head after an altercation with her ex-husband was out of the hospital and talking to the media on Saturday.
"I know this was a miracle," 21-year-old housewife Patricia Goncalves Pereira told Globo TV. "Now I just want to extract the bullets and live my life."

Pereira was shot Friday in the small city of Monte Claros, about 560 miles north of Sao Paulo, after quarreling with her former husband, who was reportedly upset because she refused to get back together with him. She was also shot once in the hand.

Doctors could not explain why the .32-caliber bullets did not penetrate Pereira's skull and didn't even need to be extracted immediately.

"I can't explain how something like this happened," surgeon Adriano Teixeira said, adding that the bullets were lodged under the woman's scalp.

The ex-husband was still at large.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

from http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/20 ... lets_x.htm

Now I am not going to say that this was divine intervention and it proves that all miraculous claims are now proved true. However, I was thinking that even if this wasn't a "miracle" and it was in fact something that science will be able to explain later, even thought it can't right now, that this could easily have been attributed by those witnessing the event to be a miracle.

The woman surely does think this. So my question is this . . .

Since there obviously are examples of things that are so far outside the realm of "normal" physical, scientific and natural behavior still happening today, why couldn't these sorts of things have occurred and been recorded by Jesus followers?

After all there are many times where a doctor can not explain a sudden healing of a person. This article notates that a woman shot in the head POINT BLANK with a 32 cal handgun not only survived, but not ONE of the bullets even cracked her skull. According to the logic of HUME and those non-theists who claim that violations of natural law never happen, the newspaper is lying.

So which is it? Are violations of "normal" natural events possible (even if we can later explain them) or are all the doctors and the newspapers recording events like this just making it up?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #21

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

All the non-theists here are still missing my ultimate point.

Once again I am not out to prove that this is a bonafide example of a miracle. What I am attempting to show is that since there are events which even today's advancement consider to be mysterious and "miraculous", non-theists can not use the line of reasoning . . . .

"We do not have examples of things occuring outside of natural expectations, so miracles do not exist."
And I still do not understand why you are trying to make this point, or what relevance it serves.

Who on Earth has ever MADE such a statement to begin with? The "point" you are trying to make all ready has universal acceptance; what makes it controversial are the connotations you are entailing.

As you said, occassionally certain events and phenomena occur which humans have no explanation for. I've never met any non-theist who has claimed otherwise. But to use these events as justification for Biblical miracles? I don't understand the connection.

Jesus' miracles defy nature. The Bible is not a credible witness for their occurrance, and no one living today can vouch for them. How does this Brazillian woman getting shot in the head justify a belief in them? What could justify a belief in them, besides a personal visit from Jesus himself?
He explains that in all of history there has never been a miracle which was attested to by a wide body of disinterested experts.

This is the point I am trying to show is not entirely valid.
Do you know of any experts who are calling this incident a miracle?

I think that this particular point of his really rings true, because we know that even most experts in Jesus' time did not believe in his miracles (besides the ones who actually saw them... or so the Bible says).

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by achilles12604 »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:
All the non-theists here are still missing my ultimate point.

Once again I am not out to prove that this is a bonafide example of a miracle. What I am attempting to show is that since there are events which even today's advancement consider to be mysterious and "miraculous", non-theists can not use the line of reasoning . . . .

"We do not have examples of things occuring outside of natural expectations, so miracles do not exist."
And I still do not understand why you are trying to make this point, or what relevance it serves.

Who on Earth has ever MADE such a statement to begin with? The "point" you are trying to make all ready has universal acceptance; what makes it controversial are the connotations you are entailing.

As you said, occassionally certain events and phenomena occur which humans have no explanation for. I've never met any non-theist who has claimed otherwise. But to use these events as justification for Biblical miracles? I don't understand the connection.

Jesus' miracles defy nature. The Bible is not a credible witness for their occurrance, and no one living today can vouch for them. How does this Brazillian woman getting shot in the head justify a belief in them? What could justify a belief in them, besides a personal visit from Jesus himself?
He explains that in all of history there has never been a miracle which was attested to by a wide body of disinterested experts.

This is the point I am trying to show is not entirely valid.

I think that this particular point of his really rings true, because we know that even most experts in Jesus' time did not believe in his miracles (besides the ones who actually saw them... or so the Bible says).

Ah my reasons . . .

Ours is not to wonder why, ours is to do and die.

Who said that anyway?
It has relevance both on its own and in future contexts. You say it is universally accepted yet it is not. Hume, Mack, Crossan and others disregard miracles a priori. The Jesus seminar gives no reasons why miracles can not take place. They start with this assumption that these stories must have been invented or were the result of legend.

Universal acceptance? Tell that to the non-theists here who claim that the miracles in the gospels are all legendary in development.

I am simply showing that this assumption that they start from, is not valid even f you don't consider the events to be miraculous in nature. In essence, they are all arguing in a circle. They say miracles obviously can't happen because they know this to be true. Since miracles can't happen the only explaination is that they were invented or legendary.

It was this line of thinking which was what I am combating with this thread . . . so you see, I do have a purpose in addressing such a basic and "universally accepted" point.

The reason you are having trouble finding a connection between what I was debating "the possibility of the events not being legend or lies" and what you keep trying to tie it to, is simply because I am not making that connection. I am tryng very hard to stay on a totally secular viewpoint of these events while at the same time showing everyone that total disregard of said events was illogical and showed thier outstanding prejudice against any view not their own . . . even one that still contained a non-religious solution.

Doctors could not explain why the .32-caliber bullets did not penetrate Pereira's skull and didn't even need to be extracted immediately.

"I can't explain how something like this happened," surgeon Adriano Teixeira said, adding that the bullets were lodged under the woman's scalp.

Well these guys are fairly well eduacted and experts in their fields. They have no explainations. Besides even if NO ONE thinks that this was a miracle . . . it has no value on my point. Red herring.

As for "experts" in Jesus time, I would love to hear who you are talking about. Who in your opinion was an "expert" in Jesus times?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #23

Post by Wyvern »

Who said that anyway?
That's from,"The charge of the light brigade", by Tennyson.

It really doesn't seem as if either this womans medical or law enforcement community are all that concerned with helping her. The medical people should want to extract the bullets because of infection or lead poisoning chances. Law enforcement should want the bullets extracted because it is the only physical evidence for an attempted homicide. Not to mention if you had the bullets you could get a good clue as to how they impacted i.e. if there is a good amount of mushrooming/flattening you can bet they didn't deflect much if at all which would lend credence to claiming this was a miracle.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #24

It has relevance both on its own and in future contexts. You say it is universally accepted yet it is not. Hume, Mack, Crossan and others disregard miracles a priori. The Jesus seminar gives no reasons why miracles can not take place. They start with this assumption that these stories must have been invented or were the result of legend.
So what you want from Hume is a reason for why miracles cannot exist?

Does one really need to give a reason against something that is so rediculous to begin with? Phenomena cannot defy natural laws. Period. That is a natural law in and of itself (although, admittedly, you will never find it in any textbook- most scholars probably figure that it is much too obvious to merit any wasted ink).

Besides, disproving miracles is not Hume's job. It is YOUR job to prove them. The only way to do this is to prove the existance of a supernatural being capable of foiling physical limitations. And from the looks of it, that won't be happening anytime soon.
Universal acceptance? Tell that to the non-theists here who claim that the miracles in the gospels are all legendary in development.
What are we supposed to assume?!

(1) No living person can attest to the occurrance of Jesus' miracles.
(2) The accounts of them in the Bible are not reliable.
(3) There is ample evidence to suggest that the Bible is inaccurate on many other of it's claims.

But despite all of that, we are supposed to give the Bible the benefit of the doubt, and assume that almost 2000 years ago a guy named Jesus walked on water and rose from the dead?

Once again, it's not our job to disprove miracles. It's your job to prove them. That has not come close to happening, and citing a virtually unstudied case of a woman surviving six bullet wounds to the head is doing not doing anything for the argument.
The reason you are having trouble finding a connection between what I was debating "the possibility of the events not being legend or lies" and what you keep trying to tie it to, is simply because I am not making that connection.
But..... you just did.

And even if you somehow are not, then why arn't you?

There are two possible arguments you can make:

(1) Miracles exist
(2) Miracles do not exist

If neither of these arguments fit your agenda, then I haven't the foggiest idea of what this thread could possibly be about.

I entered this thread because you were using this Brazilian homicide as justification for the existence of miracles. I am still posting because, despite your numerous claims to the contrary, it still appears to me as if you are making this argument.

I just don't get it. Am I being pranked?

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by achilles12604 »

Wyvern wrote:

Who said that anyway?
That's from,"The charge of the light brigade", by Tennyson.

It really doesn't seem as if either this womans medical or law enforcement community are all that concerned with helping her. The medical people should want to extract the bullets because of infection or lead poisoning chances. Law enforcement should want the bullets extracted because it is the only physical evidence for an attempted homicide. Not to mention if you had the bullets you could get a good clue as to how they impacted i.e. if there is a good amount of mushrooming/flattening you can bet they didn't deflect much if at all which would lend credence to claiming this was a miracle.
Aside from your comment about the bullets should be removed for various reasons, I agree completely with the rest of what you said. In fact these are exactly the points I was trying to make earlier (which others here didn't seem to grasp). We are able to tell if the bullets should have penetrated her skull or not. And according to everything we have on record, they should have. Hence, they are mystified as to WHY they DIDN'T go through.

Exactly.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by achilles12604 »

You do like to get off topic don't you. If you wish to debate the historocity of the Gospels there are plenty of other threads to do this on. Your blanket disregard of miracles a priori is hardly evidence. So the only course of action left to your side is to take the stance that we must absolutly prove them to be true. However, this in itself isn't logical unless you can suggest a course of analysis that we can use to do so.

1) You disgregard the Gospels and the NT simply out of hand without any really good reason

2) You ignore the fact that outside sources attest to amazing deeds done by Jesus. Not just one source but at least two that pertain to individuals who could have talked to people alive during the time

3) You ignore the various archeological digs done which cast suspicious light on circumstances (Albright, McRay, Woods)

Then after all this you demand absolute proof? Ok prove to me that this country actually fought a civil war. However, you can not use any documents from the time which mention the civil war, you can not use any photos of the event, and you can not use any other archeology or artifacts from the time. All these things are now considered suspect. Ready . . .go.

You can not demand that science be used to discover God abolutely. God is infinate. Science is finite. So it is like my example of the man in the paper bag. (earlier post)
I entered this thread because you were using this Brazilian homicide as justification for the existence of miracles. I am still posting because, despite your numerous claims to the contrary, it still appears to me as if you are making this argument.

I just don't get it. Am I being pranked?
Plat- What have I been saying is my entire point of this thread? Can you read it back to me yet? I have only written it almost every post on this thread.

You are trying to jump me ahead. I am debating square one. Here let me map it all out for you.

Square one - I present evidence that events which occur outside of our understanding of nature do in fact occur. This contradicts the unfounded assumption that these sorts of events never occur and could not have occured during Jesus time.

This is where I am at, and where I am staying in this particular thread. I am not getting sucked in to a full and unbridled debate about the validity of all miracles until the groundwork has been established.

Square two (if we ever get there) - Now that sqaure one shows that we can not blanket disregard these events on a faulty assumption, we can examine the events and their possible origins.

I do not want to start this debate until we have established that the assumption of Hume and others is simply incorrect. I admit there are other answers which allow for the events without the supernatural, however simply denying all the events outright is foolish. That is what this is all about.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by achilles12604 »

PS - You never got back to me about your experts. I am truely interested.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #28

Your blanket disregard of miracles a priori is hardly evidence. So the only course of action left to your side is to take the stance that we must absolutly prove them to be true.
That would make sense, wouldn't it? To actually prove something before accepting it as true? I don't know, maybe that's just me...
However, this in itself isn't logical unless you can suggest a course of analysis that we can use to do so.
Well, none exists, of course.

Unless you can figure out the kinks on time travel, there just no way to prove these inherently impossible events that happened so long ago (just like, at the moment, there is no way for scientists to prove how the universe began).

There were no reliable witnesses. The physical plausibility of these events has never beem demonstrated. The propagator of the events has never been shown to exist. What am I supposed to believe? Am I to take the events on face value? Have faith that they happened?

Finding a way to prove the Bible's assertions is your problem, not mine. I'm not the one making the claims.
You can not demand that science be used to discover God abolutely.
Your right; there is also no way to prove God (is that not reason enough to be skeptical of his existence?). Once again, your problem, not mine.
Ok prove to me that this country actually fought a civil war. However, you can not use any documents from the time which mention the civil war, you can not use any photos of the event, and you can not use any other archeology or artifacts from the time. All these things are now considered suspect.
Two thirds of the world does not believe in the miracles of Christ. Zero thirds of the world does not believe that America fought a Civil War.

Aside from stating the obvious fact that the Civil War does not make a very good historical analogy for Jesus/God's miracles, let us instead examine what may have caused the belief disparity between these two historical events.

The American Civil War has thousands of written accounts. Jesus' miracles have one.

We know who wrote the first hand accounts of the war between the states, and we can prove that they actually existed. We are not entirely sure who wrote/compiled many parts of the Bible, and there is doubt whether some of them even existed.

There is living/standing evidence of the Civil War (buildings, landmarks, ect). Many of the places described in the Bible have not even been shown to have ever existed.

The Civil War was only 140 years ago. The last witnesses of the conflict died relatively recently, and there are people living today who can affirm that they did indeed speak of a war between the states. Jesus lived (although we are not entirely sure) around 2,000 years ago. His supposed witnesses have been buried under hundreds upon hundreds of years of human history.

The gain of socio-political power is not a possible incentive for recounting the story of the Civil War, and lying about it's events serves little benefit to our government officials. The Roman Empire, and the ensuing Catholic theocracy relied on the story of Christ for political power. "Let's see, if we include Pauls letters in the published edition of the Bible, but exclude the gospel of Mary Magdeline, we can justify a harsher dominion over our female constituents...".

Most importantly, the story of the Civil War claims that some people got mad over an issue and started killing each other over it. Not surprising in the least. The Bible claims that a guy named Jesus Christ walked on water, cured deadly diseases on command, and defied death itself. Hmmm...

Do extraordinary claims not require more extraordinary evidence? Do you perhaps see now why I am a bit incredulous of the Bible's claims? Can the Bible itself be evidence enough of these claims?

Christians have got some proving to do.
Plat- What have I been saying is my entire point of this thread? Can you read it back to me yet? I have only written it almost every post on this thread.

You are trying to jump me ahead. I am debating square one. Here let me map it all out for you.

Square one - I present evidence that events which occur outside of our understanding of nature do in fact occur. This contradicts the unfounded assumption that these sorts of events never occur and could not have occured during Jesus time.
Yes, you have said this again and again. However, I have had trouble believing that this is really the point you are trying to make.

You see, it just so happens that this statement...

"events occur outside of our understanding of nature"

... garners universal acceptance (as I said earlier). I have personally affirmed this statement in a fair percentage of my posts. As of yet, there has not been a single person in this thread to dissagree. There is not a single scientist on earth who would dissagree.

Given that everyone agrees (as I assumed that you knew), it would not be a very wise use of my time to discuss it. What I have decided to addres instead, is the second part of your thesis...

"This contradicts the unfounded assumption that these sorts of events could not have occured during Jesus time"

The fact that there exists certain phenomena in this world that we do not understand proves that there is much more knowledge out there that science has yet to uncover. It does not prove that Jesus is the son of God, a worker of miracles, ect ect ect.
I do not want to start this debate until we have established that the assumption of Hume and others is simply incorrect.
But when has Hume ever made the assumption that "phenomena that we do not completely understand never occurs"?

Hume argues that we have never seen a phenomena that defies natural laws. Obviously, just because we do not understand something does not mean that it is defying a natural law and must come from the divine.

People used to assume that. However, in following centuries science has always come up with a much better explanation for such phenomena. Eventually you might think that people would pick up on the trend and quit crying 'miracle' every time that something surprising takes place...
There were no scientific "experts" in Jesus' time, of course. Even more reason to be skeptical of those who claim to have seen his miracles (if any such people actually exist).

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by achilles12604 »

Sorry It took a while to get back. I have been busy.
Your blanket disregard of miracles a priori is hardly evidence. So the only course of action left to your side is to take the stance that we must absolutly prove them to be true.

That would make sense, wouldn't it? To actually prove something before accepting it as true? I don't know, maybe that's just me...

There are many things which can not be proven to be true. This is especially true in regards to history. So yes it just you. I have no trouble accepting things like the Gettysburg address, WW2, Columbus discovering America and a whole bunch of other things from the past, all of which can be denied if you simply assume a position of disbelief before examining evidence for or against as well as sources, intentions, ulterior motives, outside source material and other things which should be weighed before making a decision.

This is the fundamental downfall of the atheist regarding miracles. They deny the possibility based on their preconceptions. Then when a source supporting said events is put forth, they need to deny it because of their preconceptions.

However, this in itself isn't logical unless you can suggest a course of analysis that we can use to do so.

Exactly. Thank you for agreeing that your demand of our proving miracles beyond any shadow of a doubt is illogical.

Unless you can figure out the kinks on time travel, there just no way to prove these inherently impossible events that happened so long ago (just like, at the moment, there is no way for scientists to prove how the universe began).

There were no reliable witnesses. The physical plausibility of these events has never beem demonstrated. The propagator of the events has never been shown to exist. What am I supposed to believe? Am I to take the events on face value? Have faith that they happened?

Reliable witnesses : define reliable. If your definition of reliable is anyone except those who mention miracles then you are correct that we would then have no documentation. However, if your definition is even just a little less biased, then there are witnesses of the events attributed to Jesus. Even his enemies wrote about these strange events. Why would they have written about something that never happened?

Physical plausibility : Your assumption rests on the limitations of the finite universe. Philosophically, this isn't sound since God is not subject to the laws of the finite universe since he must be outside them to be God.

Jesus existence : To deny this shows a level of close mindedness seldom seen in scholars today. In fact the majority of scholars, Christian and Atheist, acknowledge Jesus existence. Your Jesus seminar has no trouble with them and they include some of the most outspoken atheists today. You are on shaky ground with this accusation. Do you really stand by this as an example of your personal beliefs and understandings of history? Are you willing to stake your name to this accusation?

As for your question about faith, all the faith you need in Jesus is the same amount as the enemies of Jesus. Is that very much?
You can not demand that science be used to discover God abolutely.

Your right; there is also no way to prove God (is that not reason enough to be skeptical of his existence?). Once again, your problem, not mine.

Granted. However there are other sources of information on God. In order to dismiss God outright, the witness accounts of Jesus (both his followers and enemies) would need to be shown to contain massive errors. Unless I am mistaken, the biblical contradictions thread failed to present a single contradiction which endangered any major area of Christian beliefs. The best you could do personally was grip about differences in recorded numbers from 2000 years ago. This is a far cry from being able to dismiss the accounts in the NT. And so far you have not addressed the outside (non-christian) sources which also attest to many of the claims about Jesus.

Ok prove to me that this country actually fought a civil war. However, you can not use any documents from the time which mention the civil war, you can not use any photos of the event, and you can not use any other archeology or artifacts from the time. All these things are now considered suspect.

Two thirds of the world does not believe in the miracles of Christ. Zero thirds of the world does not believe that America fought a Civil War.

Aside from stating the obvious fact that the Civil War does not make a very good historical analogy for Jesus/God's miracles, let us instead examine what may have caused the belief disparity between these two historical events.

The American Civil War has thousands of written accounts. Jesus' miracles have one.

You are breaking the rules you set up for addressing Jesus. You can not use any of the accounts of the civil war. And Jesus has a minimum of 4 direct accounts with several other indirect accounts. Pretty good considering that most of the people were illiterate 2000 years ago.

Do extraordinary claims not require more extraordinary evidence? Do you perhaps see now why I am a bit incredulous of the Bible's claims? Can the Bible itself be evidence enough of these claims?

No I do not think that there should be a higher demand placed on evidence of religion. I think it should fall under the exact same rules as other historical events. You just outlined the biggest issue for the non-theists. They (because of bias) deny anything that describes a mysterious event should be excluded out of hand. Your question presents the atheist argument as extra ordinarily demanding and unneccessarily so.

If the non-theist must administer higher standards to exclude evidence presented by Theists then I think your demands actually lend us a great complement and high credibility. We require our own level of examination to be disproved. Outstanding!!

Yes, you have said this again and again. However, I have had trouble believing that this is really the point you are trying to make.

You see, it just so happens that this statement...

"events occur outside of our understanding of nature"

... garners universal acceptance (as I said earlier). I have personally affirmed this statement in a fair percentage of my posts. As of yet, there has not been a single person in this thread to disagree. There is not a single scientist on earth who would disagree.

Good then we can move on. However, I will be sure to point out if you violate this first premise that we have agreed on.

Given that everyone agrees (as I assumed that you knew), it would not be a very wise use of my time to discuss it. What I have decided to address instead, is the second part of your thesis...

"This contradicts the unfounded assumption that these sorts of events could not have occured during Jesus time"

The fact that there exists certain phenomena in this world that we do not understand proves that there is much more knowledge out there that science has yet to uncover. It does not prove that Jesus is the son of God, a worker of miracles, ect ect ect.

I agree with this. Strange events occurring do not prove Jesus actions or any other events around him were miracles.

There were no scientific "experts" in Jesus' time, of course. Even more reason to be skeptical of those who claim to have seen his miracles (if any such people actually exist).

You were the one who wrote this

Are you not contradiction yourself here? Please explain.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #30

There are many things which can not be proven to be true. This is especially true in regards to history. So yes it just you. I have no trouble accepting things like the Gettysburg address, WW2, Columbus discovering America and a whole bunch of other things from the past, all of which can be denied if you simply assume a position of disbelief before examining evidence for or against as well as sources, intentions, ulterior motives, outside source material and other things which should be weighed before making a decision.
I see. So if I believe that Lincoln made a speech decreeing all slaves free, the same logic can be used to justify a belief that thousands of years ago, a man named Jesus walked on water, rose from the dead, and ascended to heaven?

You see nothing logically wrong with this summation?

Historians accept the Gettysburg Address, WW2, and Columbus because they are historically founded. We have multiple (even thousands) of reliable first hand accounts, undeniable archeological evidence, and in the case of the Gettysburg Address, the original manuscript.

On the other hand, no credible historian will attest to the fantastical happenings described in the Bible. Many do not even think that Jesus' very existence is historically founded. We don't know where this book came from. We don't know when it was written. We don't know who wrote it. We don't know if the people claiming to have written it ever even existed. We don't know how many times it has been manipulated and altered over the years, and in what way.

And yet, you claim that we should accept it as historical knowledge, along with proven events such as the Civil War and Columbus' voyage?
This is the fundamental downfall of the atheist regarding miracles. They deny the possibility based on their preconceptions. Then when a source supporting said events is put forth, they need to deny it because of their preconceptions.
No. I deny such a source because it is wholly rediculous, baseless, unfounded, incoherent, and inconsistent with established historical fact.

I wonder- do you give every other book the same undying blind faith that you give the Bible? If I claimed to have ridden my tricycle to the moon on my 5th birthday, would you question my truthfullness?

Jesus can make whatever inane claims he wants. Until he demonstrates the accuracy of those claims, no one can logically accept him as their personal savior.

Exactly. Thank you for agreeing that your demand of our proving miracles beyond any shadow of a doubt is illogical.
Demanding that you prove anything beyond a shadow of a doubt is illogical. There is nothing of which we can be certain, but a good number of things of which we can be pretty sure.

Show me a man walking on water (or more signifigantly, a god capable of impowering such a feat), and I can be pretty sure that miracles do indeed exist.

However, pointing to an unreliable religious text that merely claims that such things took place is not going to do it for me.

Forget the Bible. Either show me God, or walk to Japan. Take your pick.
Granted. However there are other sources of information on God. In order to dismiss God outright, the witness accounts of Jesus (both his followers and enemies) would need to be shown to contain massive errors.
I don't need to do ANYTHING to dismiss God outright.

YOU need to do quite a bit to prove him.
Unless I am mistaken, the biblical contradictions thread failed to present a single contradiction which endangered any major area of Christian beliefs.
"Christian beliefs"? Exactly what beliefs are those? Catholic beliefs? Orthodox beliefs? Baptist? Later Day Saints?

Until Christians can decide just what Christ taught, we can hardly label any belief as being "Christian".

I don't need to demonstrate a contradiction between Jesus' teachings. Christians do that themselves.
No I do not think that there should be a higher demand placed on evidence of religion. I think it should fall under the exact same rules as other historical events.
Jim Bob claims that yesterday, he read a book.

Billy Joe claims to have been adbucted by a Flying Spaghetti Monster, whisked away 10,000 galaxies, and anally probed by a pink winged unicorn wearing a ski mask.

I write a testimony for each person attesting to their feats. Which testimony do you think will hold up in a court of law? Which would be more likely to make it's way into a history textbook?
If the non-theist must administer higher standards to exclude evidence presented by Theists then I think your demands actually lend us a great complement and high credibility. We require our own level of examination to be disproved. Outstanding!!
It's not so much that you have to present a higher standard of proof. You just happen to have more facets of the issue to prove.

When Jim Bob claims to have read a book, a reliable written testimony is all that is needed, because it has all ready been established that it is indeed possible for a person to read a book.

Billy Joe, on the other hand, has a bit more on his plate. Not only must he provide a witness, he must also:

(1) Prove the existence of this "Flying Spaghetti Monster"
(2) Prove that there is technology available to allow for intergalactical travel.
(3) Prove the existence of flying pink unicorns, ect

The same problem exists with Jesus. It has not been proven that walking on water is possible. The God that brought about this event has never been proven to exist. If Historians allowed for "equal treatment" of all claims, just think of the crap our textbooks would be littered with.

You were the one who wrote this

Are you not contradiction yourself here? Please explain.
In the first quote, I claimed that there were "experts" during Jesus' time.
In the second, I denied the existence of any such experts.

However, this is not a contradiction. How? Because it is a miracle; I have made two statements that explicitly defy the principles of the English language, yet these statements remain inerrant. Why? Because I said so.

Based on your standards of historical inquiry, you have no choice but to accept this.