Kent Hovind sentenced to 10 years in prison

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

diggnate
Student

Kent Hovind sentenced to 10 years in prison

Post #1

Post by diggnate »

I'm not sure how I missed the news, but evidently last week, Kent Hovind (of Dr. Dino fame) was sentenced to 10 years in prison for tax evasion/fraud.
More details here
Nathan
My Blog - www.nathanrice.org

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Kent Hovind sentenced to 10 years in prison

Post #2

Post by Goat »

diggnate wrote:I'm not sure how I missed the news, but evidently last week, Kent Hovind (of Dr. Dino fame) was sentenced to 10 years in prison for tax evasion/fraud.
More details here
Potentially he could get 54 days off for each year for 'good behavior'.

I have to say that his defense against trying justify not paying taxes was more than a bit naive and delusional at best.

It wasn't that he wasn't warned, on mulitple occations, that his excuse would not hold up to legal scrutiny.

diggnate
Student

Post #3

Post by diggnate »

goat wrote: Potentially he could get 54 days off for each year for 'good behavior'.

I have to say that his defense against trying justify not paying taxes was more than a bit naive and delusional at best.

It wasn't that he wasn't warned, on mulitple occations, that his excuse would not hold up to legal scrutiny.
I agree. He really should have known better. Like I said in my blog post, behavior like this gives Christians a bad name.
Nathan

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Cathar1950 »

diggnate wrote:
goat wrote: Potentially he could get 54 days off for each year for 'good behavior'.

I agree. He really should have known better. Like I said in my blog post, behavior like this gives Christians a bad name.
It gives everyone a bad name.

diggnate
Student

Post #5

Post by diggnate »

Cathar1950 wrote:
diggnate wrote:

It gives everyone a bad name.
Good point :-)
Nathan

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

diggnate wrote:

I don't consider him so much a Christian as a con man that is using Christianity as a selling point.

What gives humanity (not just Christianity) a bad name is people fall for him.

QED
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by QED »

We don't get many posts in Current Events so seeing as how this topic wasn't started as a topic for debate I've moved it over here. You know the rules:
3. When you start a new topic in a debate subforum, it must state a clearly defined question(s) for debate.

seventil
Scholar

Post #8

Post by seventil »

Whoah, can't believe I missed this one!

I owe a little bit to Hovind. I agree with almost everyone else that he doesn't give Christians in general a very good name. However, I actually came back to God after watching his series. I was an Atheist at the time. When I watched his videos, I was so pissed off that I went out and made sure I could disprove his every argument. While that itself isn't a hard task (thanks to the interwebs), I found myself actually looking at Christianity and Science in an unbiased way. A while later, I found that I really didn't have a reason to not believe in God anymore.

Anyway, a bit sad to hear, as the guy had good intentions but just didn't have it all together. The whole tax thing seems a bit shady anyway. I couldn't find any references on the actual tax he didn't pay (income tax for the church? employee wages?)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath
already committed breakfast with it in his heart" -- C.S. Lewis

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Goat »

seventil wrote:Whoah, can't believe I missed this one!

I owe a little bit to Hovind. I agree with almost everyone else that he doesn't give Christians in general a very good name. However, I actually came back to God after watching his series. I was an Atheist at the time. When I watched his videos, I was so pissed off that I went out and made sure I could disprove his every argument. While that itself isn't a hard task (thanks to the interwebs), I found myself actually looking at Christianity and Science in an unbiased way. A while later, I found that I really didn't have a reason to not believe in God anymore.

Anyway, a bit sad to hear, as the guy had good intentions but just didn't have it all together. The whole tax thing seems a bit shady anyway. I couldn't find any references on the actual tax he didn't pay (income tax for the church? employee wages?)
Income tax for 'dinoland', nor ss for the employees, as well as some other very illegal and questionable practices.. and it wasn't as if this was his first offense at it either.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #10

Post by Vladd44 »

Too bad the government is persecuting such a great man of god. :D

Got to give credit where it is due, to be able to sell that bill of goods he had for as long as he has....he obviously has game.

So goat...cathar.... don't hate on the man for being a bigger pimp than you are. :D:D:D

I think that community service at a local science center might have been a better punishment. Just set him up with his own personal dunking booth. He might even play along for part of the profits, but make sure you take taxes out first. :D
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com