Prophesied: Nuclear War will Happen

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Do you believe that a nuclear war is prophesied in the Bible?

Yes
13%
No
88%

Total votes: 32

anthrogohn

Prophesied: Nuclear War will Happen

Post #1

Post by anthrogohn »

This global cataclysmic event has been foretold a long time ago in the Bible and evidences of this prophecy can now be understood right now. The signs are there, the doomsday clock is ticking nearer to strike into its fulfillment.

http://www.newsflavor.com/Opinions/Prop ... pen.111101

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by McCulloch »

Revelation 22:7-21 (New American Standard Bible) wrote:"And behold, I am coming quickly. Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book."
I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things.
But he said to me, "Do not do that I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God." And he said to me, "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy.

Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying. I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come". And let the one who hears say, "Come". And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen Come, Lord Jesus.
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.
The author clearly did not intend this book to be applied to 21st century history.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ExApostolic
Student

Post #12

Post by ExApostolic »

It is not.

Christanity4ever
Student

Post #13

Post by Christanity4ever »

I think its possible that the bible was speaking of nuclear war. Prophesy is 100% accurate in an eternal universe, the trouble is the universe may not be eternal! Anyway the events leading up to Armageddon are hauntingly similar to what is happening in the middle east. However the bible does tell us no man knows the day or the hour of these events (only God knows). But it's interesting for believers anyway to speculate and attempt to decipher our book.

Stars falling from heaven are descriptively accurate if you do not consider scale, because guess where fusion occurs other than in stars and nuclear processes in objects in space? That would be H bombs, a man made 'star' of sorts that happen to have a very short life compared to their outer space stellar counterparts. So an ICBM carrying a H bomb would be like a tiny star falling to earth. I still am fascinated by the power of the nuclear fusion or even the fission reaction, and how little mass is actually converted into energy. In the Hiroshima fission bomb, a firecracker compared to an h bomb, just about 600 milligrams (a little over a half gram or less than the weight of a dime) of Uranium was converted into energy!

Anyway, if you are someone that believes the bible and I am, although bible prophesy is a at best educated guesswork unless you are a prophet, there are other hints that seem to describe a nuclear war such as two thirds of the worlds population being destroyed, and soldiers eyes and tongues being burned out.
And there is more; (Revelation 7:6-12 excepts of) The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood,... (sentences skipped)... A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up. a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

Anyway you get the idea? I feel the Russian/Iran/North Africa invasion of Israel is foretold in the prophecy of Ezekiel [38, 39] after Israel is restored as a nation [remember 1948?], Ezekiel 36 and 37 nevertheless this invasion is not the Battle of Armageddon, but is rather a precursor to that mother of all wars...I will mercifully stop for now, with a nod to the unbelievers, its been a while since I last posted so this post will test the waters, which I hope are still and not frothing, additionally this will serve as my re-introduction, or I could say, honey(s) I'm back!

C4ever

GentleDove
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by GentleDove »

McCulloch wrote:
Revelation 22:7-21 (New American Standard Bible) wrote:"And behold, I am coming quickly. Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book."
I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things.
But he said to me, "Do not do that I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God." And he said to me, "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy.

Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying. I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come". And let the one who hears say, "Come". And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen Come, Lord Jesus.
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.
The author clearly did not intend this book to be applied to 21st century history.
I agree with McCulloch. I think the words of this prophecy refer to the siege and destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., which occurred very soon after John wrote the book of Revelation.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Goat »

GentleDove wrote:
I agree with McCulloch. I think the words of this prophecy refer to the siege and destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., which occurred very soon after John wrote the book of Revelation.
Actually, according to the majority of Christian biblical scholars, Revelation was written between 90 and 95 c.e... about 20 years after the destruction of Jerusalem.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/revelation.html
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

GentleDove
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by GentleDove »

goat wrote:
GentleDove wrote:
Actually, according to the majority of Christian biblical scholars, Revelation was written between 90 and 95 c.e... about 20 years after the destruction of Jerusalem.

I agree that the majority of Christian scholars think Revelation was written between AD 90 and 95. However, I don't think that makes sense for a few reasons:

1) John would have had to have been referring to some other catastrophic event that signified the ending of the Old Testament (symbolized by God's divorce decree from Israel for her spiritual adultery--the seven sealed scroll) and the beginning of the New Testament (symbolized by the betrothal of Christ to His Church--the new, heavenly Jerusalem) that was coming soon to contemporary readers of his Revelation, but no such other event is as significant as the destruction of Jerusalem. This was like the end of the world to the Jews.

2) In Revelation Chapter 11, John is told to measure the temple with a measuring rod. This would be nonsensical if the temple had already been destroyed. Then right after that, John is told that the temple would be trod under foot 42 months from the time of his Revelation. From Spring AD 67 when the Jewish War began to September AD 70 when the temple was destroyed was 42 months.

3) The angel, when translating John's vision for him (Rev. 17), tells him that "the seven heads [of the beast] are seven mountains on which the woman [Babylon] sits and they are seven kings: five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; and when he comes, he must remain a little while." Rome was known then (and is known now) as the City on Seven Hills. Rome also had seven Caesars. The five which had fallen were: Julius, Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, and Claudius. The one that had not yet come was Galba, who reigned for only 6 months. That means that the one who is (at the time of John's writing) was Nero Caesar. Nero Caesar died in AD 68, after reigning 13 and a half years. Also, six hundred and sixty six [the number of the beast—Rev. 13:18] was Nero Caesar's Roman numerical name.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Goat »

GentleDove wrote:
goat wrote:
GentleDove wrote:

I agree that the majority of Christian scholars think Revelation was written between AD 90 and 95. However, I don't think that makes sense for a few reasons:

1) John would have had to have been referring to some other catastrophic event that signified the ending of the Old Testament (symbolized by God's divorce decree from Israel for her spiritual adultery--the seven sealed scroll) and the beginning of the New Testament (symbolized by the betrothal of Christ to His Church--the new, heavenly Jerusalem) that was coming soon to contemporary readers of his Revelation, but no such other event is as significant as the destruction of Jerusalem. This was like the end of the world to the Jews.
That is because John is not talking about Israel at all, but rather the situation of
Rome under Nero. It isn't the end of the world it is talking about what the Christians were going through at that time.
2) In Revelation Chapter 11, John is told to measure the temple with a measuring rod. This would be nonsensical if the temple had already been destroyed. Then right after that, John is told that the temple would be trod under foot 42 months from the time of his Revelation. From Spring AD 67 when the Jewish War began to September AD 70 when the temple was destroyed was 42 months.
After the fact relating of the events make for perfect prophecy, don't you think?
After all, hind sight is 20/20

3) The angel, when translating John's vision for him (Rev. 17), tells him that "the seven heads [of the beast] are seven mountains on which the woman [Babylon] sits and they are seven kings: five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; and when he comes, he must remain a little while." Rome was known then (and is known now) as the City on Seven Hills. Rome also had seven Caesars. The five which had fallen were: Julius, Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, and Claudius. The one that had not yet come was Galba, who reigned for only 6 months. That means that the one who is (at the time of John's writing) was Nero Caesar. Nero Caesar died in AD 68, after reigning 13 and a half years. Also, six hundred and sixty six [the number of the beast—Rev. 13:18] was Nero Caesar's Roman numerical name.
From the link I gave earlier

Kummel goes on to propose an interpretation of 17:9 wherein the counting of the emperors begins with Caligula so that Domitian would be the sixth in succession. He concludes (op. cit., p. 469):

Also favoring the end of the first century as the time of origin of Rev is the fact that according to 2:8-11, the church of Smyrna has been persevering for a long time, while according to Polycarp (Phil 11:3), at the time of Paul it did not even exist; and 3:17 describes the community of Laodicea as rich, while this city had been almost completely destroyed by an earthquake in A.D. 60/61.

In all likelihood, therefore, Rev was in fact written toward the end of the reign of Domitian, i.e., ca. 90-95, in Asia Minor, in order to encourage Christian communities threatened by a destructive persecution to endure and to make them confident of the imminent victory of Christ over the powers of the Antichrist.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

rsvp
Student

Post #18

Post by rsvp »

Rev.1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place.

shortly

Matthew 24: 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place.

this generation
Goat:Actually, according to the majority of Christian biblical scholars, Revelation was written between 90 and 95 c.e... about 20 years after the destruction of Jerusalem

There are also Christian scholars that place the wrinting at 66 AD.

To use Revelation or the account of Matthew or Mark as evidence of a nuclear war in the coming years is nonsense.

Sir Rhetor
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by Sir Rhetor »

Mathew 24:29 wrote:“The sun will be darkened, the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky.�
Considering the fact that we no longer consider the stars to be fixed points on one of many celestial spheres, I declare this nonsense. No matter what we do, almost all of the stars are so far away that it would take millions of years for them to reach us, and that's at light speed! And exactly why would the stars begin to move?

Sorry Christianity, this is one area that Islam has you beat. At least their prophecy is a little more specific. The level of ambiguity, the lack of actual dates on which things occur (I mean, in 2000 years, you expect the prophecy to be fulfilled in part, because they are so vague) is disgusting. Please tell me that they don't hand out degrees for "understanding" this.

sineporf
Student

doomsday

Post #20

Post by sineporf »

I believe that it is prophesied that fire will rain down from the heavens and the seas will boil in the Bible.

I also believe the Bible is nothing but a book of nonsense, so that doesn't help.