happy holidays

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

turtleguy
Student

happy holidays

Post #1

Post by turtleguy »

you go into a store to day and they usually won't say anything unless you buy something but when you do they say "happy holidays" i didn't think anything of that the first time it happened to me but then i found out that major stores and even phone salesmen are being specifically told not to say merry christmas i was talking to a friend of mine who lives in valdasta and he said they changed the name of their christmas parade from "Christmas Parade" to "Winter Fest" because it could be offensive to some people this is pathetic do you feel offended when someone says, "merry christmas!" to you? i think this is really stupid. what do you think???

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #11

Post by Amadeus »

Merely the fact of saying "happy holidays" is not what offends me as a Christian. It is the fact that Santas in stores, along with other employees, are being told that they CAN'T say Merry Christmas. Public and government places are being told that they can't have Christmas trees, claiming it is a violation of the separation of church and state, but THE SUPREME COURT itself has declared Christmas trees to be no violation of that principle whatsoever!

People these days are becomming SO nauseously politically correct, that they are to spineless to stand up for their rights, do some research, and see what the Constitution REALLY says! :xmas:

bdbthinker
Student

Post #12

Post by bdbthinker »

Some businesses say Merry Christmas, some say Happy Holidays. I think it's more respectful to say Happy Holidays since you are dealing with the public...but I don't go crazy because someone says "God bless you" when I sneeze.
They are simply wishing you well and i am happy they are.
As for "when did saying Merry Christmas become politically incorrect"? I don't think it has, I just think it makes for a good news story. And honestly, what's better news than pissing off a bunch of fundamentalist christians? :lol:

I don't think this is even an issue...why do Christians get so worked up over it?

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Amadeus »

It's an issue when santa clauses in malls, which represent the Christmas tradition, are not allowed to say Merry Christmas! That is just stupid! We don't celebrate Halloween for its true meanings (most of us, anyway), but we still have the symbols and we still say Happy Halloween with no ruckus. Why then is "Merry Christmas" so offensive? Does Santa bring gifts to little kids the eight nights of Hannukah or on Kwanzaa? NO. He does it on Christmas, whether you are celebrating the birth of Christ or NOT.