Scientology on trial for fraud... again

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

TXatheist
Site Supporter

Scientology on trial for fraud... again

Post #1

Post by TXatheist »

I can't believe people fall victim to this BS. Hopefully enough people will sue the Scientology church until it's eventually totally debunked. Unfortunately, there's a sucker born every minute.

http://www.religulous.org/2009/05/scien ... again.html

I want to see the movie Valkyrie, but it's getting so that I can't live with myself if I'm giving Tom Cruise money.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

You no-watch list must be awfully long if you decide based on weird religious beliefs:
  • Scientology: John Travolta, Isaac Hayes, Kirstie Alley, Jenna Elfman, Isaac Hayes, Jim Carrey and Chick Corea
  • born-again Christian: Stephen Baldwin, Lon Chaney
  • Kabbalah : Madonna, Demi Moore, Gwyneth Paltrow
  • Buddhist Methodist: George Lucas
  • EST: John Denver
  • radical Catholic: Mel Gibson
  • Baha'i : Dizzy Gillespie, Carole Lombard
  • Quaker: Ben Kingsley, Judi Dench
  • Mormonism: Gladys Knight, Alice Cooper, Amy Adams, Gordon Jump
  • Transcendental Meditation : David Lynch
  • Christian Science: Mary Pickford, Carol Channing, Ginger Rogers, Jim Henson, Joan Crawford, Michael Nesmith, Lionel Hampton, Val Kilmer
  • Jehovah's Witnesses: Serena and Venus Williams
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

TXatheist
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by TXatheist »

I didn't care for most of the people you listed even before I saw the list lol. I like John Travolta and Jim Carrey, so I wish they weren't Scientologists, but the others I'm not big on anyway.

And I can deal with Christians and the other more traditional religions a lot easier than Scientologists. At least they have a religion with a serious history that goes back thousands of years. But this Scientology garbage was "invented" recently and the whole thing makes even less sense the most of the other faiths.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

It just goes to show you that there are many people out there who will believe anything they're told. Many people just don't have the ability to think rationally about certain religious claims.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

religulous wrote:I didn't care for most of the people you listed even before I saw the list lol. I like John Travolta and Jim Carrey, so I wish they weren't Scientologists, but the others I'm not big on anyway.

And I can deal with Christians and the other more traditional religions a lot easier than Scientologists. At least they have a religion with a serious history that goes back thousands of years. But this Scientology garbage was "invented" recently and the whole thing makes even less sense the most of the other faiths.
Dangerous and silly counter-knowledge is much more acceptable when it is ancient and well established. Do I detect a double standard?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

TXatheist
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by TXatheist »

McCulloch wrote:
religulous wrote:I didn't care for most of the people you listed even before I saw the list lol. I like John Travolta and Jim Carrey, so I wish they weren't Scientologists, but the others I'm not big on anyway.

Dangerous and silly counter-knowledge is much more acceptable when it is ancient and well established. Do I detect a double standard?
It's just the lesser of two evils. ;)
The Texas Atheist: http://www.txatheist.com
Anti-Theism Art: http://anti-theists.deviantart.com

"Atheism is the voice of a few intelligent people." ~ Voltaire