Help me catch up

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Help me catch up

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

When I left on sabbatical a few months ago it appeared as though Theist "arguments" were weak and unsupported. Has anything changed? Are there powerful Theist debaters (besides Cnorman, Vanguard, Teslem, MagusYanam and a few others that I cannot now recall)?

Are many or most still presenting the typical unsupported claims, dodging questions, using dishonorable tactics?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Not really much has changed regarding the veracity of claims.

I've seen a new (to me) argument that claims can't be shown true because science hasn't reached a stage where they can.

Man, it's great having you back!

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Help me catch up

Post #3

Post by bernee51 »

Zzyzx wrote:.
When I left on sabbatical a few months ago it appeared as though Theist "arguments" were weak and unsupported. Has anything changed? Are there powerful Theist debaters (besides Cnorman, Vanguard, Teslem, MagusYanam and a few others that I cannot now recall)?

Are many or most still presenting the typical unsupported claims, dodging questions, using dishonorable tactics?
Hi again Zzyzx...not much has changed. The more 'powerful' theist debaters you mention tend not to engage in the more 'down in the ditches' discussions.

As can be expected there often comes by a fired up christian who has just read the works - or more often than not - heard of some apologists writings and beleives they are bringing some new found revelation to us less than erudite heathens. They seem mystified when many of these very same heathens are not only aware of the aplogetics but knbow more about it than they do.

Then of course are there are those who decry the evil of 'evilution' - again without actually knowing anything about it having been 'educated' in the topic by AIG.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

I've been out of the loop too. Don't come in as much as I used to because work has cracked down on non-work related Internet usage. And I spend way too much time composing replies, so don't want to do it in my free time. Too many other things to do. But every now and then I get the hankering for debate.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Cathar1950 »

Good to see you back Zz.
Now if we can get Confused back we might move on.

It seems much is the same except I grown tired of repeating the same arguments over and over. We need some index of answers. Often someone has answered better then I remember or can repeat.

People come and go and sometimes it is like a teacher getting new students all over again each term.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

Cathar1950 wrote: We need some index of answers.
We already have one. Feel free to bookmark the link and to contribute.

Good answers to repeated Theist questions. Thanks for reminding us. Let's make use of this tool.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Cathar1950 »

McCulloch wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote: We need some index of answers.
We already have one. Feel free to bookmark the link and to contribute.

Good answers to repeated Theist questions. Thanks for reminding us. Let's make use of this tool.
Wonderful

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Me too

Post #8

Post by The Happy Humanist »

OK, I'm back too.

What'd I miss?
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Me too

Post #9

Post by McCulloch »

The Happy Humanist wrote:OK, I'm back too.

What'd I miss?
We have a new Head-to-head debate category.

Other than that, it is the same old same old.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John