Atheistic Principles

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Atheistic Principles

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Beyond the basic atheists have no gods I was thinking it might be helpful to clearly state the observations, presumptions and principles that lead to an atheistic world view. Here are is a list of stuff to start us off. Please add, change, edit, rewrite and comment to improve this list.
  • 1/ There is no evidence for the supernatural
    2/ There is evidence against the supernatural.
    3/ There are scientific principles which say certain events like walking on water are infinitely unlikely.
    4/ Given a straight choice of deciding between whether there has been a spontaneous suspension of the natural order or that someone is lying or mistaken then favour lie or mistake.(A variation on Hume’s comment on the virgin birth).
    5/ Testability and falsification are the bedrock for making statements that convey factual content.
    6/ By themselves written texts or verbal statements are not evidence of what they describe in the same way claiming point 8 on this list is typed out on a Dell lap top is not evidence point 8 is typed on a Dell lap top.
    7/ Do not presume people know their own mind or understand their own experiences.
    8/ Do not presume intelligent well educated people are not prone to an uncritical mind.
    9/ Math and logic only work in arguments when done properly.
    10/ Always be critical, take nothing on faith.
I’m kind of hoping to work towards a succinct list that hits the nail on the head, is self evidently correct, and that shows what it means to think like an atheist. If there is an item ypou disagree with then rub it out. Only want those ideas that are universal to all atheists....but I'd like something a little more expansive than we don't believe in any gods.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Thanks McC....making some adjustments...
  • 1/ There is no evidence for the supernatural
    2/ There is evidence against the supernatural.
    3/ There are scientific principles which say certain events like walking on water are infinitely unlikely.
    4/ Given a straight choice of deciding between whether there has been a spontaneous suspension of the natural order or that someone is lying or mistaken then favour lie or mistake.(A variation on Hume’s comment on the virgin birth).
    5/ Testability and falsification are the bedrock for making statements that convey factual content.
    6/ By themselves written texts or verbal statements are not evidence of what they describe in the same way claiming point 8 on this list is typed out on a Dell lap top is not evidence point 8 is typed on a Dell lap top.
    7/ Do not presume people know their own mind or understand their own experiences.
    8/ Do not presume intelligent well educated people are not prone to an uncritical mind.
    9/ Math and logic only work in arguments when done properly.
    10/ Examine everything carefully, hold fast to what is good, take nothing on faith.
    11/ The Truth will set you free.
In this weeks New Scientist is an opinion article by Lois Lee and Stephen Bullivant who explain a new turn in psychology and sociology. Traditionally these subject areas have researched faith and the mechanism of faith, but ignored atheism. Mainly it seems because the various originators were atheistic. The new turn is to recognise that it is atheism that is odd, and there is a need to understand what makes atheists tick. I was wondering that if we could get a lot of contributors to work on this list, and maybe get the holy huddle room to do their own list....and then do a comparison.....to see if we really do think in different ways. That atheists can easily adopt at least two quotes from the bible maybe suggests we do not think so differently....or maybe we do....maybe when we read “the truth will set you free� this just means something different to us. I think we need to see the full list of criteria each favour to form a conclusion.

Abraxas
Guru

Post #4

Post by Abraxas »

A couple of points, firstly, statements of principles should not contain examples, generally speaking. Secondly, I think this can be trimmed down some without loss of content. For a statement of principles, I would like something like:

1. We shall hold no belief true without logic and evidence.
2. We shall question what is held to be truth with due dilligence.
3. We shall use reason to better understand this world.
4. We shall adapt our world view to fit with the evidence as it is discovered.
5. We shall strive to seek an objective analysis of facts, independent of personal belief.
6. We shall seek to maintain the highest levels of discourse and avoid petty argument and bickering.
7. We shall remain thoughtful, respectful, and civil to those of differing and like opinion.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Abraxas wrote:A couple of points, firstly, statements of principles should not contain examples, generally speaking. Secondly, I think this can be trimmed down some without loss of content. For a statement of principles, I would like something like:

1. We shall hold no belief true without logic and evidence.
2. We shall question what is held to be truth with due dilligence.
3. We shall use reason to better understand this world.
4. We shall adapt our world view to fit with the evidence as it is discovered.
5. We shall strive to seek an objective analysis of facts, independent of personal belief.
6. We shall seek to maintain the highest levels of discourse and avoid petty argument and bickering.
7. We shall remain thoughtful, respectful, and civil to those of differing and like opinion.
Hi abraxas

This is more a sociological exercise. The aim is to characterise how atheists think and what they hold true, and what they hold false, not how they ought to think and behave. The list I am after is descriptive rather than prescriptive. Your point 7 for example: it does not require being respectful to be an atheist, and debating civilly is not a reason for remaining an atheist. I can also see many theists signing up to you seven points, maybe point 4 would be a problem for some.

Given that target can you turn your list into a description of atheism and maybe weave your points into the list of eleven points. Are there any points that need to be struck through?

Grays
Student

Post #6

Post by Grays »

I don't think these would really be considered "atheistic" principles rather than guidelines for being a good skeptic. Skepticism and atheism are not synonymous; a person can be an atheist and still believe in all sorts of crazy things. Follow the principles laid out above, and you're on your way to being a good skeptic instead.

The skeptic community is largely a subset of atheists in general; I assert that skepticism naturally lends itself toward atheism. The skeptics also tend to be the loudest people in the room on the atheist side of the table, because we have a reason to be atheists and can say so.