Life's purpose to an atheist

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

lmt531

Life's purpose to an atheist

Post #1

Post by lmt531 »

As an atheist, I'm curious to know other ....let's say non religious... think their purpose is in life.

We came and arose from chance, and will most certainly die and become nothing. So I have to ask, what's the point in it all?

I understand that I'm here, and I'm in thick of it all enjoying life's pleasures, but there is always that loneliness that reminds me that it's ultimately all going to end. So what part do I play in it?

Darias
Guru

Post #11

Post by Darias »

[font=Impact]MODERATOR ACTION[/font]

This thread has been moved to The A Room, since it is addressing non-theists specifically and because it seems to me that it is more of a discussion type question than a debate type question.

If you want it moved elsewhere PM me. Otherwise I will leave it here.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Furrowed Brow »

There are plenty of things to give life purpose such as family, friends, work, ideals and so on.

Life does not have a universal or celestial purpose.
Lmt531 wrote: but there is always that loneliness that reminds me that it's ultimately all going to end.
Maybe part of growing wiser is learning to accept our finite existence. Yes I think it can invoke lonely feelings it can also clarify what is of value. At times it leaves an intense appreciating of the “now�.

It also leaves an appreciation of what is left behind when we are gone. Our estates will last a little longer than us. I have come to appreciate this in the last few years in way only experience can allow. One of the people who has personally influenced me was my step father. My step father’s estate outlives him in the ways I try to emulate him and ways I try to avoid being him, the warm feelings he still invokes and the cringe moments too, and the mistakes he made I try to avoid.

Recognising we are the authors of “our estates� is a sobering thought that connects us to something wider than ourselves. An immature mind might interpret this as doing something that everyone will remember them by, it could be translated into a pursuit of fame or notoriety. But I am really talking about the meaningful influences we have, not the recognition that we exist. I think very few folk would like to think they are remembered as monsters, and there is no evidence that those who do are atheists.
Berny wrote:Just go for it! Nothing matters except that you have fun and are happy.
It matters that we try to be happy. There seems no good reason to seek out unhappiness. But we are not all so superficial as for nothing else to matter. Is that really how you understand atheists? You really don’t feel able to grant us emotional depth and self discipline.
Berny wrote:And anything which you see as fun is acceptable.
You must have met some terrible hard partying and very superficial atheists.
Berny wrote:There's no need to concern yourself with others, it's way too restrictive. You really only need to consider and care for yourself in any way you can regardless of others
If your comments were true atheists would be filling our jails, and every time you see a drunk driver there would be good cause to suspect they might be an atheist, and every time there is a riot reported on the TV you just know all those looters are more than likely atheists, and the majority of fraudsters would be godless.
Berny wrote:Just obey the law, but only if you think you can't get away with not obeying it, i.e., if you don't get caught, you haven't done anything wrong, and that's a good enough reason, and it opens up a whole new world of ways to pleasure yourself.
Well some laws this is probably true. I sometimes knowingly speed and if I don’t get caught don’t feel like anything is wrong. But on the whole the evidence shows that atheists are no less law abiding than theists.

madfrog
Student

Post #13

Post by madfrog »

This line from American Atheists (a legal organization) that was taken from Murray v. Curlett really struck me as a good guideline for atheist morality:
Your petitioners are atheists, and they define their lifestyle as follows. An atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An atheist accepts that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth – for all men together to enjoy. An atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and to enjoy it. An atheist accepts that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help lead to a life of fulfillment.
While life has no real purpose, I think that the most important goal is to do what makes you happy and to try to help others too if you can.
‎"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don''t matter, and those who matter don''t mind." -Dr. Seuss

catalyst
Site Supporter

Re: Life's purpose to an atheist

Post #14

Post by catalyst »

lmt531 wrote:As an atheist, I'm curious to know other ....let's say non religious... think their purpose is in life.

We came and arose from chance, and will most certainly die and become nothing. So I have to ask, what's the point in it all?

I understand that I'm here, and I'm in thick of it all enjoying life's pleasures, but there is always that loneliness that reminds me that it's ultimately all going to end. So what part do I play in it?
The purpose of my "being", I had zero to do with. As such, my "purpose" in life happened with my conception and then birth as my parents wanted a girl after having 4 boys prior. By chance, they got their wish and as such, my "purpose" for being has been fulfilled.

Also, the whole idea of you dying and becoming nothing, I don't agree with. The fact that you have lived and impacted, whether positively or negatively in others lives, forever makes you a "something" to someone.

realthinker
Sage

Post #15

Post by realthinker »

lmt531 wrote:As an atheist, I'm curious to know other ....let's say non religious... think their purpose is in life.

To say that there is an "it" to play a part in suggests that you believe there is something that appreciates the whole of existence in a fashion greater than we might ourselves. If you're not granting that such an entity exists, you have an inconsistency in your argument that you should concentrate on before you try resolving your original question.

To answer your question though, the reason we are here seems to be an arbitrary effect of chemistry that turned into biology some time ago. The purpose of our being here is to be another exhibit of humanity. As such an exhibit, we contribute to the biological (most of us) and social advancement of our species. The personal satisfaction we derive from that contribution is likely only loosely related to its significance to the longevity of our species.
If all the ignorance in the world passed a second ago, what would you say? Who would you obey?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Cathar1950 »

catalyst wrote:

The purpose of my "being", I had zero to do with. As such, my "purpose" in life happened with my conception and then birth as my parents wanted a girl after having 4 boys prior. By chance, they got their wish and as such, my "purpose" for being has been fulfilled.

Also, the whole idea of you dying and becoming nothing, I don't agree with. The fact that you have lived and impacted, whether positively or negatively in others lives, forever makes you a "something" to someone.
It does seem the universe is full of purpose, some would say that it is all to enrich the life or memory of God, or the universe, and any hopes of something else is a form of idolatry. :P

We can try to imagine many possibilities about what happens ultimately when we die but nothing shouldn't be one of them as it seems nothing is really ultimately lost but rather transformed and changing sometimes even emerging with novelty. They say it took two exploding star cycles to just make what we use to flourish as life and less.
It tends to look like a problem that has been created because of assumed conclusions and some answer already given.

I sometimes wonder if the purpose of pain and pleasure are not also part of what binds us as a social species much like culture, music, poetry and even religion.

I just don't see how there could possibly be one answer, out of context (objective and non-relative), for either atheist or theists.

catalyst
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by catalyst »

Cathar1950:
It does seem the universe is full of purpose, some would say that it is all to enrich the life or memory of God, or the universe, and any hopes of something else is a form of idolatry.

LOL Yes, funny that. I find it interesting that the god concept was created by man so that many can assume their life has purpose. I mean, can't have a memory of god unless you have been taught about him, usually by those of "faith", can we?

Cathar1950
We can try to imagine many possibilities about what happens ultimately when we die but nothing shouldn't be one of them as it seems nothing is really ultimately lost but rather transformed and changing sometimes even emerging with novelty. They say it took two exploding star cycles to just make what we use to flourish as life and less.
It tends to look like a problem that has been created because of assumed conclusions and some answer already given.
Indeed! I agree with you.

Cathar1950
I sometimes wonder if the purpose of pain and pleasure are not also part of what binds us as a social species much like culture, music, poetry and even religion.
Oh I believe it is. In my work I used to do a lot of trauma counselling and it is VERY interesting how pain IS a binding agent; something that brings together; people you wouldn't necessarily assume to have ANY type of real "kinship" until a "like" situation happens to them, and then empathy comes into play. It's interesting to go to hospital trauma and IC units seeing say, a 80yr old great granny with a broken hip, due to a fall in the bed next to a 30-something tattooed bikie dude, and them both comforting each other and reaching out to the other for comfort. It's like all these forced social barriers and their associated fears, just dissipate. It's a thing of real beauty to not only witness but to also have been part of.

Cathar1950
I just don't see how there could possibly be one answer, out of context (objective and non-relative), for either atheist or theists.
There isn't really a defining "absolute" answer.

from madfrog
Your petitioners are atheists, and they define their lifestyle as follows. An atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An atheist accepts that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth – for all men together to enjoy. An atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and to enjoy it. An atheist accepts that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help lead to a life of fulfillment.
No I would not agree with the above in its entirety. If you would like to know why madfrog, please let me know.

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Strider324 »

I'm fond of Bart Erhman's quote he offered in response to theist accusations that atheists never do anything positive and have no morality.

"You are an intelligent human being. Your life is valuable for its own sake. You are not second class in the universe, deriving meaning and purpose from some other mind. You are not inherently evil - you are inherently human, possessing the positive rational potential to help make this a world of morality, peace and joy. Trust yourself"

8-)

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Goat »

Strider324 wrote:I'm fond of Bart Erhman's quote he offered in response to theist accusations that atheists never do anything positive and have no morality.

"You are an intelligent human being. Your life is valuable for its own sake. You are not second class in the universe, deriving meaning and purpose from some other mind. You are not inherently evil - you are inherently human, possessing the positive rational potential to help make this a world of morality, peace and joy. Trust yourself"

8-)
That sounds like it would be a good signature.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Strider324 »

Goat wrote:
Strider324 wrote:I'm fond of Bart Erhman's quote he offered in response to theist accusations that atheists never do anything positive and have no morality.

8-)
That sounds like it would be a good signature.
Yes, someone should use that. The one I currently have speaks more eloquently to my personal rebellious nature. O:)
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi