Dan Dennett

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Dan Dennett

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

I am familiar with Dawkins, read TGD, few months ago I spent like a week on YouTube and watched about 20hrs of Hitchens, only now been taking a closer look at Dennett.

I've watched about 3hrs of him on YouTube last day or so.

ooooh. I'm thinking that he is the evil genius the man with plan their Karl Marx. The kindly grandpa beard is just camouflage don’t be fooled. Whilst Dawkins and Hitchens articulate all the obvious criticisms of religion, Hitchens more erudite than Dawkins, Dennett is at a whole different level. He is as I see it slowly putting together a conceptual framework and programme to study, combat, undermine and eventually expunge God belief.

Comments?

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

Regardless of his motives, I definitely consider him to be a coherent and logical philosophical mind.

Question Everything
Sage

Re: Dan Dennett

Post #3

Post by Question Everything »

I love his idea of teaching the FACTS about ALL religions to everyone in high school.
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Firstly, I love the beard. We have way to many bare faced liars.

Secondly, he is not a one pony show. He has written more of interest than his recent anti-religious stuff. He has deeply explored the philosophy of consciousness and mind. Fascinating material.

Brainstorms: Philosophical Essays on Mind and Psychology (MIT Press 1981) is dated but still well worth reading.
The Intentional Stance (6th printing), Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press, ISBN 0-262-54053-3 (First published 1987), outlines the cornerstone of some of his thinking on mind.
Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life (Simon & Schuster; reprint edition 1996) is a really thought provoking extension of the algorithm of evolution within and beyond mere biology.
Brainchildren: Essays on Designing Minds (Representation and Mind) (MIT Press 1998) -- I have it, but it just did not grab me.
Of course, Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon (Penguin Group 2006) is what got him labeled as one of the four horsemen of the new atheism.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John