Fun With Fallacies

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Deadclown
Scholar

Fun With Fallacies

Post #1

Post by Deadclown »

We should all know them intimately. Even if we occasionally feel like we should just make a bot that counters, 'You can't prove God doesn't exist!' with, 'Argument from Ignorance and you have the Burden of Proof'.

Here is one good resource for reference, but it is not exhaustive. I know I found a few I didn't know about previously.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

So, the questions for the topic are:

What are your favorites (formal or informal)? What do you see most often? What are some of the most over the top crazy, or subtle and hard to spot examples you can recall people trying to pull?
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Goat »

Meow Mix wrote:Ok, lately, the fallacy that I dislike the most is definitely missing the point. There is nothing more frustrating.
That seems to be happening with a number of people. SOmetimes I wonder if they are purposely being obtuse..
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Nilloc James »

I'm not even sure if there is a name for this or if it is even a fallacy but it sure is annoying; debating the metaphor. If someone uses a metaphor for the sake of making a concept easier to understand disproving the metaphor does not disprove the claim.
X is Y
[similar to how A is B]
Y is Z
therefore X is Z
Well since A isn't B [insert obsure logic] X obviously isn't Z
:confused2:

jamesmorlock
Scholar

Post #13

Post by jamesmorlock »

"Post hoc ergo propter hoc", just because it's fun to say.
"I can call spirits from the vastie Deepe."
"Why so can I, or so can any man: But will they come, when you doe call for them?"
--Henry IV

"You’re about as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican."
--Rimmer, Red Dwarf

"Bender is great."
--Bender