"You really know the truth"

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

jamesmorlock
Scholar

"You really know the truth"

Post #1

Post by jamesmorlock »

I've come in contact with, time and time again, Christians who insist that I or my atheist girlfriend simply "know the truth" and are in stubborn denial over the existence of God and Jesus' resurrection.

Is this a common attitude? Is it perhaps because I happen to live in the bible belt? It seems to happen more often when they run out of arguments and get frustrated, but sometimes it's the first thing out of their mouths. Sometimes they aren't even frustrated, but rather conveyed as a condescending pseudo-wisdom ("You'll understand one day") as if from a patronizing parent to a rebellious teen.

Do any of you get this often, and from whom?
"I can call spirits from the vastie Deepe."
"Why so can I, or so can any man: But will they come, when you doe call for them?"
--Henry IV

"You’re about as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican."
--Rimmer, Red Dwarf

"Bender is great."
--Bender

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #11

Post by OnceConvinced »

TD101 wrote:Some of my friends know and we've had some quality discussions on it. A couple of family members know that I'm struggling with my faith. But, many of them are die hard Christians and I don't look forward to the day it comes out. On the other hand, I'm tired of keeping my mouth shut and going along with it.
I am in the same boat and the day is coming soon where I won't be able to bite my tongue any longer. I am just tired of the ignorance, the arrogance and the delusion of these people. Stay tuned on that one. I'm building up a base of good atheist, agnostic and former Christian friends now because I know that when the time comes a lot of people are going to cut me off when I come out of the closet so to speak. I think I'm a little more fortunate than a lot of our US members because they are in a country overrun by the plague of Christianity, where as in countries like New Zealand and Australia it's dying. One of my friends, a former pastor has now become one of my best friends because we are both in much the same boat. We hit the bars together to pick up chicks. Ha ha ha.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

jamesmorlock
Scholar

Post #12

Post by jamesmorlock »

I have on more than one occasion seen an Atheist tell a Christian that the "actually know that their God doesn't exist".
I disagree with telling someone that what they espouse to belief isn't really what they believe in any case, since it is impossible to know what is going on in someone's mind.
But isn't this Christian attitude encouraged somewhere in the bible (Romans 1:20, perhaps)?
"I can call spirits from the vastie Deepe."
"Why so can I, or so can any man: But will they come, when you doe call for them?"
--Henry IV

"You’re about as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican."
--Rimmer, Red Dwarf

"Bender is great."
--Bender

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Goat »

AkiThePirate wrote:Funnily enough, I've seen this exact scenario with the roles reversed.
I have on more than one occasion seen an Atheist tell a Christian that the "actually know that their God doesn't exist".

It's hilariously annoying from both sides, though.
I think some of the atheists that pull that line are doing it to yank chains, because the exact opposite is being used on them. On the other hand , I suspect that some of the more vocal theists are as vocal as they are to convince themselves as much as anything.

I noticed that such behavior as being highly vocal for being anti-gay often gets followed up by 'coming out' or being caught in gay relationships, and I have also notice on more than one occasion, that the more vocal bible thumper comes out as an atheist , or at least rejects Christianity later on.

Of course, some never 'come to the dark side', and just get nastier and more obnoxious as the years progress.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Question Everything
Sage

Re: "You really know the truth"

Post #14

Post by Question Everything »

OnceConvinced wrote:
When I was 25 (that's not old enough???) and there was still no communication from God, no matter how hard I prayed, and there was no evidence - none- for God doing anything, anything at all even when there was every reason to expect it (for example healing service after healing service after healing service with no one healed), I had no choice but to become an atheist.
It's amazing the lies you hear from Christians about miracles. I used to hear stories all the time. We had famous faith healers here in New Zealand who were revered and respected by the churches. The stories were always incredible of healings and demons being cast out. However whenever I went to these crusades I never saw anything particularly dramatic. For years I continued to believe but now when I think about it, I was as deluded as all the others. I just so wished to believe that I didn't really think too hard about the lies I knew I was being told.
In the late 70's, early 80's there was a church I went to that had monthly healing services, and I remember us talking among ourselves wondering what was wrong, why no one was getting healed when this was happening all over the world in other churches - always other churches, never ours.

People who came in wheelchairs left in wheelchairs. People who threw their crutches away needed them again. It was very disillusioning.
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

catalyst
Site Supporter

Re: "You really know the truth"

Post #15

Post by catalyst »

jamesmorlock wrote:I've come in contact with, time and time again, Christians who insist that I or my atheist girlfriend simply "know the truth" and are in stubborn denial over the existence of God and Jesus' resurrection.

Is this a common attitude? Is it perhaps because I happen to live in the bible belt? It seems to happen more often when they run out of arguments and get frustrated, but sometimes it's the first thing out of their mouths. Sometimes they aren't even frustrated, but rather conveyed as a condescending pseudo-wisdom ("You'll understand one day") as if from a patronizing parent to a rebellious teen.

Do any of you get this often, and from whom?
Hi jamesmorlock. Nice to meet you. :D

It seems to be a common theme and it doesn't appear to matter in which country (well at least westernised) you live. I am in Australia and live in a place called Surfers Paradise. Although in Australia by comparison to other countries, atheism is on a firm rise, there are A LOT of street preacher types out and about in full throng attempting to "save" the "sinners" here. :lol:

I actually don't mind engaging in conversation with them, as many of them are usually RECENT glazed-eyed recruits, who actually don't know too much about their faith at all. When they start their waffle, I ask them curveball questions as to their faith (stuff that the Pastor at their church would NEVER touch... verses from Lamentations for example) and it is fun watching them flip through their handy dandy bible to see what I am on about. As they are doing it, I usually say: "who are you to tell me that I don't "know the purported truth", when it is more than apparent that you have no clue what is actually in the book, you claim "holds" it?

That tends to stop them in their tracks. ;)

I will comment on the whole "miracle" stuff after dinner. Got a couple of doozies for you (collective readers) if you are interested.

Cat.