"You really know the truth"

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

jamesmorlock
Scholar

"You really know the truth"

Post #1

Post by jamesmorlock »

I've come in contact with, time and time again, Christians who insist that I or my atheist girlfriend simply "know the truth" and are in stubborn denial over the existence of God and Jesus' resurrection.

Is this a common attitude? Is it perhaps because I happen to live in the bible belt? It seems to happen more often when they run out of arguments and get frustrated, but sometimes it's the first thing out of their mouths. Sometimes they aren't even frustrated, but rather conveyed as a condescending pseudo-wisdom ("You'll understand one day") as if from a patronizing parent to a rebellious teen.

Do any of you get this often, and from whom?
"I can call spirits from the vastie Deepe."
"Why so can I, or so can any man: But will they come, when you doe call for them?"
--Henry IV

"You’re about as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican."
--Rimmer, Red Dwarf

"Bender is great."
--Bender

Deadclown
Scholar

Re: "You really know the truth"

Post #2

Post by Deadclown »

jamesmorlock wrote:I've come in contact with, time and time again, Christians who insist that I or my atheist girlfriend simply "know the truth" and are in stubborn denial over the existence of God and Jesus' resurrection.

Is this a common attitude? Is it perhaps because I happen to live in the bible belt? It seems to happen more often when they run out of arguments and get frustrated, but sometimes it's the first thing out of their mouths. Sometimes they aren't even frustrated, but rather conveyed as a condescending pseudo-wisdom ("You'll understand one day") as if from a patronizing parent to a rebellious teen.

Do any of you get this often, and from whom?
It appears to be very hard for strong theists to even conceptualize the idea of not believing in God. I speak from experience. I recall being super Christian and Atheists being this terrifying mysterious group of evil people who were going to hell. How stupid could they be to want to risk Hell?!

You see, to them, God is as real as oxygen is to us. They come at it from the assumption that God exists and is within all of us. So of course you are in denial.

My mother often does the condescending bit. Saying stuff like she has faith that I'll someday realize where I went wrong. When I do openly say to people that I am an Atheist, the kindest Christians usually have that attitude. I suppose it is better than getting preached at.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. - Mark Twain

Question Everything
Sage

Post #3

Post by Question Everything »

Deadclown wrote: I speak from experience. I recall being super Christian and Atheists being this terrifying mysterious group of evil people who were going to hell. How stupid could they be to want to risk Hell?!
I was the same way, except that I was a child. I believed in "Angels on Assignment" and God doing all sorts of miraculous things all the time. I totally expected God to communicate with me once I was old enough.

When I was 25 (that's not old enough???) and there was still no communication from God, no matter how hard I prayed, and there was no evidence - none- for God doing anything, anything at all even when there was every reason to expect it (for example healing service after healing service after healing service with no one healed), I had no choice but to become an atheist.

To answer the question of the OP, yup I get this all the time from many Christians. This is a common attitude. Why it is so common is something I simply don't understand.
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

TD101
Student

Post #4

Post by TD101 »

I also live in the Bible Belt and most people I know are Christians. When I was one of them, I thought there was something wrong with a person that didn't believe in God. I remember when we hired our first openly Atheistic person. Everyone would say behind his back "he's an Atheist," like he had some kind of disease.

So, yes, this is a very common attitude, especially where we live. Fortunately, I don't run into this much myself because most of my Christian friends and family don't know that I've converted to the dark side. I'm not hiding it from them, but I'm not throwing it out there either. And the reason is because of this kind of attitude. I've come to realize that Christians can be the most judgmental and condemning people on the planet.

Question Everything
Sage

Post #5

Post by Question Everything »

TD101 wrote:I also live in the Bible Belt and most people I know are Christians. When I was one of them, I thought there was something wrong with a person that didn't believe in God. I remember when we hired our first openly Atheistic person. Everyone would say behind his back "he's an Atheist," like he had some kind of disease.

So, yes, this is a very common attitude, especially where we live. Fortunately, I don't run into this much myself because most of my Christian friends and family don't know that I've converted to the dark side. I'm not hiding it from them, but I'm not throwing it out there either. And the reason is because of this kind of attitude. I've come to realize that Christians can be the most judgmental and condemning people on the planet.
How did you become an atheist?

BTW, no one from my family knows I am an atheist. (I am single, so this is not too hard.) Never lied to them, never gave too much information, either.

One of the reasons why I joined this forum is that just in case the truth gets out I can demonstrate to them that I did give Christianity a good hard look. I did not blow it off lightly.
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

TD101
Student

Post #6

Post by TD101 »

Question Everything,

In my late 30s while reading the Bible, I started having doubts. Things that I had always chalked up to God's will now seemed illogical and contradictory for a loving God. So, I began searching for answers with open eyes. What I found surprised me and led me to where I'm at now.

Some of my friends know and we've had some quality discussions on it. A couple of family members know that I'm struggling with my faith. But, many of them are die hard Christians and I don't look forward to the day it comes out. On the other hand, I'm tired of keeping my mouth shut and going along with it.

I came here to find people I can relate to. I'm new and have been reading a lot of older discussions. It's good to know there are a lot of people out there that have similar experiences as I.

I like your sig line. The atheist co-worker I mentioned earlier was raised in a Catholic school. He went to a Christian college and it was there that he lost his faith.

jamesmorlock
Scholar

Post #7

Post by jamesmorlock »

One of the reasons why I joined this forum is that just in case the truth gets out I can demonstrate to them that I did give Christianity a good hard look. I did not blow it off lightly.
Realize that some Christians will still believe that you "blew it off", no matter how much reason and logic you show them. Since NO amount of reason and logic could possibly convince them, leaving the faith for any reason is "blowing it off". I suppose this kind of attitude also makes them feel better about being so judgmental.
"I can call spirits from the vastie Deepe."
"Why so can I, or so can any man: But will they come, when you doe call for them?"
--Henry IV

"You’re about as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican."
--Rimmer, Red Dwarf

"Bender is great."
--Bender

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by LiamOS »

Funnily enough, I've seen this exact scenario with the roles reversed.
I have on more than one occasion seen an Atheist tell a Christian that the "actually know that their God doesn't exist".

It's hilariously annoying from both sides, though.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #9

Post by OnceConvinced »

Deadclown wrote:You see, to them, God is as real as oxygen is to us. They come at it from the assumption that God exists and is within all of us. So of course you are in denial.
This is exactly how it is. I too had the same perspective when I was a Christian. To me the proof of God was obvious at the time, however now I see that it isn't so obvious. Of course as a Christian, you can't possibly view God as malevolent or cruel. You have to believe that everyone has been given enough proof to believe and that those who don't believe are simply in denial or just wanting to rebel. To believe anything else would then force you to have to admit that God is a complete and utter bastard.

I recently explained to an old Christian friend on facebook how I was simply UNABLE to believe anymore. Even though she attempted to be understanding, it became obvious she didn't understand and still had that silly Christian mindset. She said to me, "Well you know that you can come back to God if you change your mind." I could see in these words that her belief was that I had consciously rebelled against God and that deep down I still believed. She did not understand that, no it wasn't a matter of rebelling it was a matter of as much as I wanted to I just COULDN'T believe. Christians just can't understand that it would be the same as returning to a belief in Santa Claus.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #10

Post by OnceConvinced »

Question Everything wrote:
Deadclown wrote: I speak from experience. I recall being super Christian and Atheists being this terrifying mysterious group of evil people who were going to hell. How stupid could they be to want to risk Hell?!
I was the same way,
Same here. When I look back I see now the lies that my Christian leaders spread. Throughout Sunday school I was taught that Atheists were evil God hating people who were cruel towards Christians. It was blatant BS. For years I had this mindset. Atheist was such a dirty word to me. And you can still see that Christian mindset in many believers even today. They are just unable to believe that atheists can be nice, loving and moral people. If they were in a country like New Zealand or Australia which are becoming more and more atheist, they'd see that it's true. Atheists can be the nicest people around.
When I was 25 (that's not old enough???) and there was still no communication from God, no matter how hard I prayed, and there was no evidence - none- for God doing anything, anything at all even when there was every reason to expect it (for example healing service after healing service after healing service with no one healed), I had no choice but to become an atheist.
It's amazing the lies you hear from Christians about miracles. I used to hear stories all the time. We had famous faith healers here in New Zealand who were revered and respected by the churches. The stories were always incredible of healings and demons being cast out. However whenever I went to these crusades I never saw anything particularly dramatic. For years I continued to believe but now when I think about it, I was as deluded as all the others. I just so wished to believe that I didn't really think too hard about the lies I knew I was being told.
To answer the question of the OP, yup I get this all the time from many Christians. This is a common attitude. Why it is so common is something I simply don't understand.
Chalk me down for another who agrees 100%

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World