How to say it?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Av8r

How to say it?

Post #1

Post by Av8r »

I come from a family who are relatively strong Christians. I attended church as a kid, but not since. I've always questioned God's existence, but never spoke of it. These days, my family has gotten into religion much more than I ever remember. My brother got his first tattoo (and still the only tattoo) of a large stylized cross with a dove overlaid right on his forearm. My father now plays in the church's band. My aunt and uncle preached to me about how wrong it was and how disappointed they were that I'm living with my boyfriend without being married. I could go on and on. I generally avoid conflict at all costs, so admitting that I don't believe the same as them has still, to this day, not come out. I love my family very much, and I don't want them to think less of me because of my non-religious stance. I'm in my mid twenties, and I think it's time that I fully accept my beliefs and make it known. Not just with my family, but with anyone who tries to preach to me. Instead of just listening, nodding and letting it go, I think I'm ready to stand up for myself. But the question is how?? :-k

Charles Darwin
Student

Post #21

Post by Charles Darwin »

are you aware of the graphical anomaly in your avatar? there is not a dancing white man like figure on the canadian flag

Adurumus
Scholar

Post #22

Post by Adurumus »

I read Darwin's avatar as "Atheist: Think Free". Sort of like "Movie Title: Subtitle Text!" It'd work better if it was "Atheism: Think Free" I think, but it works as is. Similar would be "Salmon Eater: Eat Salmon"
[center]Let me light the way[/center]

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by McCulloch »

Charles Darwin wrote:are you aware of the graphical anomaly in your avatar? there is not a dancing white man like figure on the canadian flag
The starting point for my avatar was stolen from Humanist Canada not the Canadian flag.

This is their logo.

I felt that it needed a bit of livening up. So when I saw the logo for Canada's Best Diversity Employers, I saw an opportunity. I thought that if I took the five human characters, uncolored them and rotated them and animated them in sequence, they would look like a dancing Happy Human, the symbol for humanism.

Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Charles Darwin
Student

Post #24

Post by Charles Darwin »

Adurumus wrote:I read Darwin's avatar as "Atheist: Think Free". Sort of like "Movie Title: Subtitle Text!" It'd work better if it was "Atheism: Think Free" I think, but it works as is. Similar would be "Salmon Eater: Eat Salmon"
exactly

it says atheist because it was the basis for my tattoo

Av8r

Post #25

Post by Av8r »

Charles Darwin wrote:
Adurumus wrote:I read Darwin's avatar as "Atheist: Think Free". Sort of like "Movie Title: Subtitle Text!" It'd work better if it was "Atheism: Think Free" I think, but it works as is. Similar would be "Salmon Eater: Eat Salmon"
exactly

it says atheist because it was the basis for my tattoo
I like your logo. I know what you were going for and I tend to agree with the point of it. It still amazes me how many things religions convince you of believing, and in many cases, doing. It's definitely nice to be able to think whatever we want. Anyways, nice job ;)