"What if"

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

catalyst
Site Supporter

"What if"

Post #1

Post by catalyst »

Perhaps a strange topic to bring up in the Atheist area, but sometimes I wonder; if there is actually some real god out there..somewhere, did he/she/it, introduce different religions into the mindset of some, with their different rules and different expectations, in some cases, bizarre dogma, merely as, a social experiment, to determine where " false suggestive thought" can/may lead people?

I can appreciate that for the most part, humans (and many many other animals) are sort of "hard-wired" for compassion, love and basically born with an inbuilt sense of altruism. I say that because as example : a group of new-borns in a post -maternity unit, if one of the bubs starts crying because of discomfort or hunger, the others in the area tend to start crying, and it appears, out of empathy or sympathy. That's been shown to be "right" because it is interesting to note that once the baby who started crying initially, needs have been met and are settled, the other bubs tend to stop crying too. It shows that their "outcry" was not for self serving reasons, but in support for another. At such a tender age, I cannot see how it can be considered that this type of positive behaviour can be learned from any outside influence. If anyone begs to differ, I am more than happy to explore their position.

It seems though, we aren't born, hard-wired to hate, or to even make a negative judgement, whether it be discriminatory toward another living thing or otherwise . IMO, HATE is a learned behaviour and THAT unfortunately, more often than not, stems from religious boxed rules and regulations, which clearly show, racism, bigotry and ignorance.

So that leads me to the social experiment, started by this hypothetical god.

It is that this god could perhaps wants to see who will GROW as a being by relying on what is hard-wired in us and hold onto THAT, rather than giving into the peer pressure of dogmatic conformity, where the concepts of hatred, negative judgement and persecution is rife?

I write this as I would like to hear others views, musings, thoughts on the matter.

Cat.

Adurumus
Scholar

Post #2

Post by Adurumus »

I write a lot of little sandbox worlds in my programming studio. Every time I hit compile, I acknowledge that I may not know everything about the world I just created. Sometimes I run it on purpose, just to see how the little creatures - each made from excessive amounts of 1s and 0s - react to the world I've created for them. Sometimes, I set them up for failure on purpose, just to see how I should reprogram them, or to see if their quirky behaviors create anything new.

Maybe we're just one part of a long, long beta test for some programmer?
[center]Let me light the way[/center]

Question Everything
Sage

Re: "What if"

Post #3

Post by Question Everything »

catalyst wrote:
I can appreciate that for the most part, humans (and many many other animals) are sort of "hard-wired" for compassion, love and basically born with an inbuilt sense of altruism.
It seems though, we aren't born, hard-wired to hate, or to even make a negative judgement, whether it be discriminatory toward another living thing or otherwise . IMO, HATE is a learned behaviour and THAT unfortunately, more often than not, stems from religious boxed rules and regulations, which clearly show, racism, bigotry and ignorance.
I remember something about how evolution by natural selection has hard wired us to value those who we see as being in our "tribe" and to hate those who are not.

I also remember experiments done with babies to see who they trust and who they see as a threat that supports this idea, but I can't remember where I heard this.
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

catalyst
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by catalyst »

Adurumus wrote
"]I write a lot of little sandbox worlds in my programming studio. Every time I hit compile, I acknowledge that I may not know everything about the world I just created. Sometimes I run it on purpose, just to see how the little creatures - each made from excessive amounts of 1s and 0s - react to the world I've created for them. Sometimes, I set them up for failure on purpose, just to see how I should reprogram them, or to see if their quirky behaviors create anything new.

Interesting you should say that, Adurumus. I don't have the prowess, knowledge or understanding to create as you do. I have however been sporadically, a Sim's junkie when time permits for years now, at least with Sim's 1 & 2. I have never played Sim's 3 at all but I know that there is a broader allowance for them to go where their "free will" will take them.

My daughter showed me a site called AliceandKev, and it was created to follow a fan challenge, called the "Poverty Challenge". The challenge was initially set up for Sims 2 users, but the writer adapted it for the Sims 3. He set their home lot to look like a run-down public park, and set the characters to have the most inopportune traits. The father has the inappropriate, insane, hot-headed, mean-spirited and child hating traits. His daughter is clumsy, but good hearted. She also has low self-esteem. They have no refrigerator, no bathroom. Just two park benches, and Alice has a teddybear.
The writer left them to their own devices for the majority of the experiment, and so it's mostly just the outcome of the free will engine. At times, the story is heartbreaking, at other times, hilarious. And at still others, it will even take your breath away with the cinematography, even only told in single-shot pictures.
Warning: The Sims 3 people are...very good at conveying emotion.

http://www.aliceandkev.wordpress.com , if you want to take a squiz.
Maybe we're just one part of a long, long beta test for some programmer?
Or even akin to the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa accidentally creates a civilisation in a Petri dish. :P

Cat.

catalyst
Site Supporter

Re: "What if"

Post #5

Post by catalyst »

Question Everything wrote:
catalyst wrote:
I can appreciate that for the most part, humans (and many many other animals) are sort of "hard-wired" for compassion, love and basically born with an inbuilt sense of altruism.
I remember something about how evolution by natural selection has hard wired us to value those who we see as being in our "tribe" and to hate those who are not.

I understand what you are referring to but IMO, the word hate is too strong a word, although there is much repelling of those not agreeable to an individuals "vibes". If push come to shove, if that person was in dire straits, the disdain would not be strong enough to not want to help them out.

That is clear by when we meet people and although they have never done anything considered wrong by sociological standards, there, for some reason is an instant disdain for that individual. I suppose it is like a friend of yours, whom you love, introduces you to one of their friends, and as such assuming you will get along great guns, and in your mind and body, there comes an instant... NO!...I don't want to know!! That person in others eyes could well be what they consider to be the salt of the earth, but, you personally just cannot see the attraction, no matter hwo hard you try, despite them having the same world view you do, sense of humour you do, pretty much all the "stuff" that the introducing friend sees in you, to love you in the first place.

I guess that sort of brings it down to what constitutes a member of ones "tribe", and whether being related by blood or even common interest has anything to do with it.
I also remember experiments done with babies to see who they trust and who they see as a threat that supports this idea, but I can't remember where I heard this.
Again though, the "tribe" doesn't always come from any(biological) blood relationship to the individual. I have counselled kids who trusted me enough to tell me that they had no trust, nor heartfelt like or even love for their parent (for example) and it was not about any negative action the parent did and if anything, the parent near jumped through hoops to get the "love" they assumed they deserve AS the birth parent. This was when I was a christian counsellor and the child was told by the parent she was guilty of not abiding by a "god-given" commandment. This poor kid was sent to me for assessment for demonic activity.

Such example comes down to what is perceived to be "norm" and usually, this accepted "norm" is dictated by religious belief and unfortunately such stuff in many cases "sticks" in some way, from what people are taught from the moment they are capable of absorbing external information.

Cat.

Adurumus
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Adurumus »

Just finished reading Alice and Kev. That was incredibly beautiful, thank you for sharing it. Sent it to a few friends; we agreed that the most emotional moment is when she sent her money to charity.
[center]Let me light the way[/center]

catalyst
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by catalyst »

Adurumus wrote:Just finished reading Alice and Kev. That was incredibly beautiful, thank you for sharing it. Sent it to a few friends; we agreed that the most emotional moment is when she sent her money to charity.
I am glad you enjoyed it! O:) I agree with you and your friends. Her selflessness, is something that many could(should) learn from.

Something that "got" to me too, was Kevs mega-walk. It seemed to change him for a bit, and then, he was back to his "same ol'" :(

I wish there had been more "bubble-thoughts" from Kev during that time, for a better understanding of what he was perhaps thinking, or taking from that, seemingly important experience. :-k

Cat.