So I just joined the club...

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Darias
Guru

So I just joined the club...

Post #1

Post by Darias »

I think I finally feel comfortable with the label of Atheism, at least for my online alias.

Now to clarify, I'm an Agnostic Atheist. I generally do not believe any god exists but am willing to be proven wrong. I don't claim that there is no god.

I also am still an apatheist, because whether or not a god exists, he's not helping us at all...

Idk I just got tired of avoiding the name because of how other people wish to define it (like "it must mean gnostic atheism"), or because of the social stigma around it.

That's like saying I don't openly accept Evolution because of how most Creationist define it.

Now my only delimma is that I'm currently on a dating website and currently the religious affiliation says Agnostic. I'm wondering if I should change it to Atheist or if that will severely limit my chances of finding a girl given that I'm in the heart of the Bible belt and you can count the number of Atheists on one hand.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: So I just joined the club...

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Darias wrote: I think I finally feel comfortable with the label of Atheism, at least for my online alias.

Now to clarify, I'm an Agnostic Atheist. I generally do not believe any god exists but am willing to be proven wrong. I don't claim that there is no god.

I also am still an apatheist, because whether or not a god exists, he's not helping us at all...

Idk I just got tired of avoiding the name because of how other people wish to define it (like "it must mean gnostic atheism"), or because of the social stigma around it.

That's like saying I don't openly accept Evolution because of how most Creationist define it.

Now my only delimma is that I'm currently on a dating website and currently the religious affiliation says Agnostic. I'm wondering if I should change it to Atheist or if that will severely limit my chances of finding a girl given that I'm in the heart of the Bible belt and you can count the number of Atheists on one hand.
Agnostic atheist is just fine for that sort of stuff..

I personally think labels are over used.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Nickman »

Darias wrote: I think I finally feel comfortable with the label of Atheism, at least for my online alias.

I met my GF on a dating site with the label of atheist, and I still got her. Theres something women love about a man in uniform. 8-)

People usually cringe when I tell them I am atheist, so I can understand your concern. They automatically feel the need to save me or get away from me. Its pretty funny, really. Just embrace it.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by LiamOS »

[color=orange]Darias[/color] wrote: I think I finally feel comfortable with the label of Atheism, at least for my online alias.

Welcome to the club, I guess.

Also, I'd add that if a girl won't date a man solely for his Athiesm, she mightn't be the pick of that litter... She also might not be much more accepting of an Agnostic. :P

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Nilloc James »

If someone is willing to judge you for atheism they are likely to judge you for agnostisism. Those are the kind of people you dont want to date. Therefore I wouldnt be that concerned.

Something comes to mind about "haters gonna hate"

So dont concern yourself with those people.