Random Question;

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

R34L1TY
Scholar

Random Question;

Post #1

Post by R34L1TY »

Do you feel stupider after debating a Creationist? or even a Theist??

O:)
M.Sc Zoology/ B.Sc (Hons) Physics/Pursuing M.D (Radiation Oncology)

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

Only from the perspective of being a member of the same species.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

dusk
Sage

Post #3

Post by dusk »

I cannot really take it. I have great admiration for the people that have the necessary patience. I tried to debate just standard stuff here in an islamic forum and I just cannot stand it. Being constantly reminded about how stupid yet cock sure these people are and those are even ones who claim some amount of higher education. It lets you loose faith in humanity, not great for somebody who would like to claim to be a humanist.
Wie? ist der Mensch nur ein Fehlgriff Gottes? Oder Gott nur ein Fehlgriff des Menschen?
How is it? Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Nilloc James »

Particularly the young-earth creationist types. It makes me cry to watch data get mistreated so brutally.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Cephus »

Only insofar as I wasted some of my precious time in a pursuit that was doomed to failure from the start. Debating theists is like debating rocks and trees. It's ultimately futile.
Want to hear more? Check out my blog!
Watch my YouTube channel!
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

Cephus wrote: Only insofar as I wasted some of my precious time in a pursuit that was doomed to failure from the start. Debating theists is like debating rocks and trees. It's ultimately futile.

That depends. I have seen a number of theists change their stance.. I have also learned a lot about how people tick.. , and it is certainly a joy to see people 'get it' when I explain about either the Jewish POV , or the atheistic POV... even if they don't agree. While it is nice to see people who are motivated to DO GOOD by religion, it IS personally disappointing to me to see how many people use religion to justify their bigotry.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella