Becareful in debate.

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Becareful in debate.

Post #1

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

When debating with someone who doesn't seem to understand how the point I've made refutes their argument I find myself wondering if they they are as they appear or if they're intentionally being a troll. To troll people is the pleasure of some over the internet and it can be done easy on a forum full of sensitive topics. You never know what someone hides about themselves by what they post, a good way to counter such a possibility is to allow the fustration of debate affect you at minimum. The best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them. But since it's nearly impossible to tell apart those who troll from the legitimate opposition then the best way to treat both categories is as one, ignoring, disengaging once the person seems to be strongly protesting logical arguments with irrational responses.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Becareful in debate.

Post #2

Post by Goat »

DiscipleOfTruth wrote: When debating with someone who doesn't seem to understand how the point I've made refutes their argument I find myself wondering if they they are as they appear or if they're intentionally being a troll. To troll people is the pleasure of some over the internet and it can be done easy on a forum full of sensitive topics. You never know what someone hides about themselves by what they post, a good way to counter such a possibility is to allow the fustration of debate affect you at minimum. The best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them. But since it's nearly impossible to tell apart those who troll from the legitimate opposition then the best way to treat both categories is as one, ignoring, disengaging once the person seems to be strongly protesting logical arguments with irrational responses.

I think some of these people actually do not understand when a point is countered, particularly when they poison the well by using highly emotionally charged terms, even if the terms are inaccurate. That is the technique that right wing radio uses, and it cuts off dialogue and reasoning.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella