Why are we here?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Why are we here?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".

I can think of a number of reasons:
  • curiosity
  • overwhelming desire to convert the converted
  • intellectual challenge
  • seeking TRUTH™
  • Learn what they believe and how it is defended
  • other
Remember, only those users who have identified themselves as Atheists or Agnostics may post here, but all the users may read these posts.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #51

Post by McCulloch »

Confused wrote:Imitrex can help with tension headache due to it's vasodilating effects. Not a labeled use, nor is it usually used for them, but can get much quicker relief. Not to mention many people who suffer from migraines usually live a highly stressful life and stress can induce tension headaches which can be precursor for migraines, just a the halo effect is a precursor.
I didn't know that. My wife and quite a few of my in-laws have migraine. She gets really ticked off when people are confuse bad headaches with migraine. They are two different things.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by Galphanore »

McCulloch wrote:
Confused wrote:Imitrex can help with tension headache due to it's vasodilating effects. Not a labeled use, nor is it usually used for them, but can get much quicker relief. Not to mention many people who suffer from migraines usually live a highly stressful life and stress can induce tension headaches which can be precursor for migraines, just a the halo effect is a precursor.
I didn't know that. My wife and quite a few of my in-laws have migraine. She gets really ticked off when people are confuse bad headaches with migraine. They are two different things.
And I get both far too often :(
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #53

Post by McCulloch »

Galphanore wrote:And I get both [bad headaches and migraine] far too often :(
Evidence of Intelligent Design! :whistle:
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by Galphanore »

McCulloch wrote:
Yep, as is my carpel tunnel syndrome and bad eye sight.
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #55

Post by Confused »

McCulloch wrote:
I can sympathize. I get migraines and use the shot imitrex for them. I don't claim they are the same types of headaches. But tension can trigger a migraine. Tylenol won't help a migraine, but imitrex can help a tension headache if it is severe enough. We give it or midrin so some that come in to the ER with severe tension headaches and get fairly good results. It is better than giving them narcotics and helps weed out the drug seekers from those with true headaches.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #56

Post by Confused »

McCulloch wrote:
LOL. Not very intelligent if you ask me. But does fit in with the jealous and vengeful God does it not. "Do as I say or I will inflict horrible migraines and Carpel Tunnel Syndrome on you".

Just kidding.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Re: Why are we here?

Post #57

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 1 by McCulloch]

I'm here for a number of reasons:

1. Learn how to debate.
2. Improve my writing skills.
3. Improve my thinking skills
4. Put my ideas to the test
5. Have a focus for my interest in epistemology.. debating with Christians is great for that.
6. Have something to do whilst having my morning coffees ( now, plural ) This might be a circular reason.
7. Improve my understanding of very weird language and ideas.
8. Tackle, hands on sort to speak those wonderful and wacky apologists.
9. Have fun
10. Actually meet ( if only online ) very interesting people
11. Make long long lists.
12. Attempting to insert scatological references without anyone noticing.
13. Reaching out to that invisible audience that just MIGHT need a nudge in the right direction ( guess what that is )

:)

gordsd
Apprentice

Post #58

Post by gordsd »

Originally, I wrote an essay challenging what I thought were a few common Christian beliefs and I wanted some feedback on it--to see how Christians would respond--others too. i thought this would be a great place to post it and get feed back. However, the feedback was very minimal--kind've disappointing.

Now it's more about intellectual stimulation. I browse the posts and see if there is anything worth responding to. Some of the posts are interesting and others are based purely on Scriptural references which are discussing some kind of fantastic tale or prophecy which are ridiculous--on those, it seems to me, is a waste of time.

And, like others, it is a learning experience--discovering how others think.