Why are we here?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Why are we here?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".

I can think of a number of reasons:
  • curiosity
  • overwhelming desire to convert the converted
  • intellectual challenge
  • seeking TRUTH™
  • Learn what they believe and how it is defended
  • other
Remember, only those users who have identified themselves as Atheists or Agnostics may post here, but all the users may read these posts.

Lainey
Scholar

Post #2

Post by Lainey »

All of the above, plus an outlet for me since society frowns upon these kinds of debates in most circumstances.

Chad
Apprentice

Re: Why are we here?

Post #3

Post by Chad »

McCulloch wrote:No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".

• curiosity
  • intellectual challenge
  • seeking TRUTH™
  • other
Remember, only those users who have identified themselves as Atheists or Agnostics may post here, but all the users may read these posts.
I was thinking of posting something similar, but on a larger scale. As in, "Why is anyone here at all?". Anyways, to answer the topic...

I'm here to learn. I'm here to better understand both sides of the debates that go on here. I feel as if I started somewhat late in my life and have wasted quite a bit of time already. Yeah, Yeah...20 years old isn't that late, but I feel I should have been able to shake religion a lot earlier in life! I could have been a lot further ahead in terms of reading and education on the subject.

I'm not here to convert anyone, but I will defend a position that I feel strongly about. Also, it is interesting to learn some of the main arguments and tactics from the religious people of this board.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by bernee51 »

McCulloch wrote:No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".

• curiosity
  • intellectual challenge
  • seeking TRUTH™
  • other
Amazing McC... I too was having thoughts along a similar line (is that the theme from 'Outer Limits" I hear in the background). I was going to ask why are 'they' here, what do 'they' get out of it. The 'they' being the fundamental christians that have blown through in the past couple of months. That thought I have taken here.

So to your question.

I have been in an out of similar fora for quite a few years now. This by far has been the most rewarding. Not only have I learnt much but my debating and critical thinking skills have developed. My own personal philosophies have also matured - that may have more to do with other areas of inquiry but has been rounded out somewhat by participation here.

There is also a certain amount or reinforcement going on. I see the opinions and words of the like minded and that serves to reinforce the perceived validity of my own views.

And as I jokingly said to another poster - the sport, the intellectual gymnastics. He didn't like that and took his bat and ball and went home.

:)
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

doomguard
Student

Post #5

Post by doomguard »

**No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".

• curiosity
• intellectual challenge
• seeking TRUTH™
• other

Remember, only those users who have identified themselves as Atheists or Agnostics may post here, but all the users may read these posts.**
I have been reading and posting on sites like this for a few years.

As a life long atheist, it was curiosity that drew me in at first. I remained and sought further information more to help solidify my own views than to understand the views of others. At this point the opposite is true.

I have also seen many who were uncertain about their views and used sites like this to help distil the arguments down to a more tenable size.

Of the above list, all but the second apply to me to at least some degree. As for the fourth, I do not view much as truth that is outside the realm of observable fact. But even fact can be interpreted to mean different things. :-k

Dilettante
Sage

Post #6

Post by Dilettante »

McCulloch wrote:
No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".
Three reasons: dialectics, dialectics, and dialectics. How are we to learn anything if not by contrasting our views with everyone else's?

QED
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by QED »

I haven't really got a clue why I'm here. To me the bible is obviously a man-made fantasy yet I'm constantly reminded that others think it the inerrant word of God. I can only guess that because so much goes on in our world on account of this misconception that I'm drawn me here through a form of morbid curiosity. I am under no illusion that any alternative neurons will fire in anyone elses brain as a result of our discussions, but I somehow feel compelled to take part all the same :(

atheist_infidel0304
Student

Post #8

Post by atheist_infidel0304 »

I'm here because I love debates and I find arguments very fascinating to learn about, even those I disagree with. I love politics immensey, and who could possibly not love debate about religion? I'm comfortable in my beliefs and all, I just look forward to visiting with others. 8)

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ST88 »

McCulloch wrote:"Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".
What a great question. For myself, I first came here and stayed because I wanted to find out about the religious mindset, something for which I had very little experience. Possibly an Internet forum -- which tends to give larger rewards and punishments for the loudest among us -- is not the most enlightening place to discover this. But along the way, I was enormously entertained and engaged by actual debate on actual issues. Many of the questions are not exclusively religious questions, they are ethical questions, issues which can be wrestled with whether or not one is religious.
Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings forgotten. -- George Orwell, 1984

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Cephus »

• curiosity
  • intellectual challenge
  • seeking TRUTH™
  • other
I'm only going to answer the second question. I'm here because the %#^%s at America's Debate closed down their religion debate section because they didn't personally like what was going on. Then again, I have little respect for their policies or the people running America's Debate, CD&R seems to be a heck of a lot better than AD ever was, without the utterly stupid site-politics and ridiculous policies.