Why are we here?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Why are we here?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".

I can think of a number of reasons:
  • curiosity
  • overwhelming desire to convert the converted
  • intellectual challenge
  • seeking TRUTH™
  • Learn what they believe and how it is defended
  • other
Remember, only those users who have identified themselves as Atheists or Agnostics may post here, but all the users may read these posts.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by McCulloch »

Galphanore wrote:True, but I'd be interested to know what made those of us who used to be zealots become atheist. What finally broke through the shield?
Read my tag line.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by Cephus »

McCulloch wrote:The existence of people in this group should give us all hope. Some of us used to be zealots.
I usually don't run into a lot of ex-hardcore fundamentalists turned atheist though, most people who have rejected religion usually weren't the big time Bible bangers, they were more liberal in their theology. I'm probably one of the more stringent ex-Christians around and I was really a strong believer, but when it came down to religion against reality, reality won hands down.

You have to remember, we're talking about people who, when religion comes into conflict with reality, religion always wins.

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Galphanore »

Cephus wrote:
McCulloch wrote:The existence of people in this group should give us all hope. Some of us used to be zealots.
I usually don't run into a lot of ex-hardcore fundamentalists turned atheist though, most people who have rejected religion usually weren't the big time Bible bangers, they were more liberal in their theology. I'm probably one of the more stringent ex-Christians around and I was really a strong believer, but when it came down to religion against reality, reality won hands down.

You have to remember, we're talking about people who, when religion comes into conflict with reality, religion always wins.
Exactly, I'd like to know if there are any ex-fundamentalists. If there are any here, I think it'd be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to talking to them about their....conversion?
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by McCulloch »

Cephus wrote:I usually don't run into a lot of ex-hardcore fundamentalists turned atheist though, most people who have rejected religion usually weren't the big time Bible bangers, they were more liberal in their theology.
This has not been my experience. I have found that liberals who give up their faith become agnostic and that fundamentalists, myself included, who give up their faith become atheist. I am sure that there are plenty of exceptions.
Gospel of John

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Galphanore »

McCulloch wrote:
Cephus wrote:I usually don't run into a lot of ex-hardcore fundamentalists turned atheist though, most people who have rejected religion usually weren't the big time Bible bangers, they were more liberal in their theology.
This has not been my experience. I have found that liberals who give up their faith become agnostic and that fundamentalists, myself included, who give up their faith become atheist. I am sure that there are plenty of exceptions.
I was fairly liberal and am an Atheist now. Would you mind if we had a thread about your experiences as a Fundie?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by McCulloch »

Galphanore wrote:Would you mind if we had a thread about your experiences as a Fundie?
Would you like it here in the A Room, where theists can read but not post, or in Questions For ... where everyone can participate?
Gospel of John

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by Cephus »

McCulloch wrote:This has not been my experience. I have found that liberals who give up their faith become agnostic and that fundamentalists, myself included, who give up their faith become atheist. I am sure that there are plenty of exceptions.
In my experience, the really hardcore fundamentalists just don't deconvert very often and when they do, they crash hard and become just as hardcore atheists. It's usually the liberal theists, who at least are like us, in the land of the thinking, who can transition to a wider range of non-belief, as you said.

But the more fundamentalist, the more unlikely it is that you will ever reach them with logic and reasoning because they are the ones who have embraced religion at their very core and made it a fundamental part of their self-image.

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by Galphanore »

McCulloch wrote:
Galphanore wrote:Would you mind if we had a thread about your experiences as a Fundie?
Would you like it here in the A Room, where theists can read but not post, or in Questions For ... where everyone can participate?
Probably Questions For, I mostly want to know about how you felt about religious doctrine, and what you used as justifications to defend your faith. Also, things about how you came to change your mind of those things. It might also be a good idea to ask people who are still Christians what they think about how you thought. I've more questions but I'll post them in that thread. Do you want to start it or should I?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by McCulloch »

Galphanore wrote:Do you want to start it or should I?
You ask, I'll answer. Maybe. ;)
Gospel of John

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Galphanore »

McCulloch wrote:
Galphanore wrote:Do you want to start it or should I?
You ask, I'll answer. Maybe. ;)
Alright, here we go then :)