Why are we here?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Why are we here?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".

I can think of a number of reasons:
  • curiosity
  • overwhelming desire to convert the converted
  • intellectual challenge
  • seeking TRUTH™
  • Learn what they believe and how it is defended
  • other
Remember, only those users who have identified themselves as Atheists or Agnostics may post here, but all the users may read these posts.

Student Nurse
Student

Post #41

Post by Student Nurse »

I'm here because I used to be a christian but now am not. I'm not trying to persuade others to view the world as i do, but since I have always learned the "christian" perspective with their jargon etc, it's interesting to hear what they have to say now that I see things from a different perspective.

And it gives me something to do :whistle: just kidding.
exploring the universe and myself...

Student Nurse
Student

Post #42

Post by Student Nurse »

Galphanore wrote:
Cephus wrote:
McCulloch wrote:The existence of people in this group should give us all hope. Some of us used to be zealots.
I usually don't run into a lot of ex-hardcore fundamentalists turned atheist though, most people who have rejected religion usually weren't the big time Bible bangers, they were more liberal in their theology. I'm probably one of the more stringent ex-Christians around and I was really a strong believer, but when it came down to religion against reality, reality won hands down.

You have to remember, we're talking about people who, when religion comes into conflict with reality, religion always wins.
Exactly, I'd like to know if there are any ex-fundamentalists. If there are any here, I think it'd be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to talking to them about their....conversion?
I'm a HUGE ex-fundamentalist now turned huge atheist. I can PM you about my, say, conversion.
exploring the universe and myself...

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #43

Post by Confused »

OccamsRazor wrote:I have often thought about why I am here, especially when I know that I can never enlighten anyone nor change anyone's mind. I often think that there are a couple of reasons:

1. I enjoy debating metaphysics very much. I studied Physics and the Philosophy of Science and have always enjoyed the subject.
2. I always like people to challenge my own ideas. Maybe people feel that they may not radically change my view but I feel that my own personal view is really chrystallised by having to answer difficult questions.

I wonder how many people here (i.e. in the A-room), do it, rightly or wrongly, because they enjoy p***ing theists off. I think that there is always a little schadenfreude involved in really upsetting someone by challenging their beliefs.
I might have to disagree with you here Occams. I have followed yours and McCulloch posts pretty closely. I came here to be enlightened. To find some peace in some sort of conclusion and to be stimulated into confirming my beliefs. While I am nowhere close to competition to you, QED, McCulloch, and a few others in the realm of philosophy, I am learning just by following the debates you all present. So yes, you can and do enlighten some. And while you may not be able to change anyones mind, you might just be able to clarify their thinking and open up new avenues for their minds to consider.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #44

Post by Furrowed Brow »

My Brow Furrows when I read bad arguments and I have an obsessive compulsion to put things right before I get a tension headache.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #45

Post by Confused »

Furrowed Brow wrote:My Brow Furrows when I read bad arguments and I have an obsessive compulsion to put things right before I get a tension headache.
Imitrex works better. :eyebrow:
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #46

Post by McCulloch »

Furrowed Brow wrote:My Brow Furrows when I read bad arguments and I have an obsessive compulsion to put things right before I get a tension headache.
Confused wrote:Imitrex works better. :eyebrow:
From MAGNUM - Migraine Awareness Group: a National Understanding for Migraineurs
IMITREX® (sumatriptan succinate) is an abortive medication used for the treatment of Migraine attacks in adults. IMITREX® is the oldest of the new 'Tripans' Migraine wonder drugs.

This is a highly effective acute treatment, which appeared in 1993, which will work with efficiency for most Migraineurs, and has very few side effects.

IMITREX® Tablets are the original drawing board up anti-migraine medicine. It's chemical name is sumatriptan succinate, created specifically for Migraine disease.
Unless FB is a Migraineur, Imitrex will not help his tension headaches.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #47

Post by Confused »

McCulloch wrote:
Confused wrote:Imitrex works better. :eyebrow:
From MAGNUM - Migraine Awareness Group: a National Understanding for Migraineurs
IMITREX® (sumatriptan succinate) is an abortive medication used for the treatment of Migraine attacks in adults. IMITREX® is the oldest of the new 'Tripans' Migraine wonder drugs.

This is a highly effective acute treatment, which appeared in 1993, which will work with efficiency for most Migraineurs, and has very few side effects.

IMITREX® Tablets are the original drawing board up anti-migraine medicine. It's chemical name is sumatriptan succinate, created specifically for Migraine disease.
Unless FB is a Migraineur, Imitrex will not help his tension headaches.
Imitrex can help with tension headache due to it's vasodilating effects. Not a labeled use, nor is it usually used for them, but can get much quicker relief. Not to mention many people who suffer from migraines usually live a highly stressful life and stress can induce tension headaches which can be precursor for migraines, just a the halo effect is a precursor.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #48

Post by Cathar1950 »

I read all the time so you guys are all I have to talk to about what interests me.
Also I have experienced just about everything Christians can experience and know just enough to know something is wrong with their reading of Hebrew scriptures and their claim to truth and reality including their NT writings.

But what is this halo effect?
I see them all the time around lights and sometimes objects.
Do I have a brain tumour?

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #49

Post by Confused »

Cathar1950 wrote:I read all the time so you guys are all I have to talk to about what interests me.
Also I have experienced just about everything Christians can experience and know just enough to know something is wrong with their reading of Hebrew scriptures and their claim to truth and reality including their NT writings.

You kill me. Halo effect is when someone who suffers from migraines starts to see a halo shaped light image before the onset of a migraine. Though it could also be associated with tumors. I think in your case it is sleep deprivation or momentary lapses in reality LOL.... :lol:
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #50

Post by Cathar1950 »

Confused wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:I read all the time so you guys are all I have to talk to about what interests me.

You kill me. Halo effect is when someone who suffers from migraines starts to see a halo shaped light image before the onset of a migraine. Though it could also be associated with tumors. I think in your case it is sleep deprivation or momentary lapses in reality LOL.... :lol:
It is good to have a medical staff. I see them all the time and sometimes they are rainbows. But they don't talk to me or anything like that. Usually around light but sometimes around other things most likely refections of light. But I don't have migraines (that I know of) and I love to nap. You might have something on the reality thing.
They are pretty sometimes but sometimes just one glow like a halo.

I saw Lewis Black last night on Comedy Central and he said that the rush in life was anticipation and it is always better then the real thing. So we should just spend our lives planning and not really do anything.