Why are we here?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Why are we here?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".

I can think of a number of reasons:
  • curiosity
  • overwhelming desire to convert the converted
  • intellectual challenge
  • seeking TRUTH™
  • Learn what they believe and how it is defended
  • other
Remember, only those users who have identified themselves as Atheists or Agnostics may post here, but all the users may read these posts.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by bernee51 »

Welcome to the A room...

ManBearPig wrote:I come here to make sure I'm not wrong. After all, if a Christian is wrong, they just end up wasting a lot of time/effort/money. But if we atheists/agnostics are wrong, it's significantly more expensive for us :).
Pascal's Wager eh?
ManBearPig wrote: So I want to make sure that there aren't Christians out there who've finally found a way to make sense out of it all.
No one will ever make sense of it all that will fit all comers. All that is required is that YOU make enough sense of things to live a rewarding life free from superstition and guilt.
ManBearPig wrote: I guess as a former Christian, the fear of Hell kinda sticks with you for a long time...
It has never worried me - but then I was never a died in the wool christian.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by McCulloch »

ManBearPig wrote:I come here to make sure I'm not wrong.
Exactly. As a former Christian, I believe that I was wrong before. Evidently, my powers of reason are not as sharp as I would like to think that they are, or else I would not have fallen for what I now believe to be incorrect. Only by objectively evaluating as far as it is possible, all viewpoints can one protect oneself from entering a blind tunnel of belief.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by Galphanore »

I'm here (religious forums in general) because I enjoy trying to make people think, that's why I think I am anyway. I'm not actually sure if I've ever actually succeeded :(
  • You are free to do what you want, but you are not free to want what you want.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Cephus »

Galphanore wrote:I'm here (religious forums in general) because I enjoy trying to make people think, that's why I think I am anyway. I'm not actually sure if I've ever actually succeeded :(
Probably not. You'll never convince the zealots, their brains stopped working long ago. It's the people on the fence that you have to convince to think, the ones who are not completely crusted over with cobwebs from disuse.

Trying to convince a theist that they're actually wrong is a pointless effort, it's like talking to a brick wall, although the wall has a better chance of answering.

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Galphanore »

Cephus wrote:
Galphanore wrote:I'm here (religious forums in general) because I enjoy trying to make people think, that's why I think I am anyway. I'm not actually sure if I've ever actually succeeded :(
Probably not. You'll never convince the zealots, their brains stopped working long ago. It's the people on the fence that you have to convince to think, the ones who are not completely crusted over with cobwebs from disuse.

Trying to convince a theist that they're actually wrong is a pointless effort, it's like talking to a brick wall, although the wall has a better chance of answering.
Yeah, but I can hope. Don't kill my hope! :P

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by McCulloch »

Galphanore wrote:Don't kill my hope!
There is hope. Former Christians.
Gospel of John

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by Galphanore »

McCulloch wrote:
There is hope. Former Christians.
Yep, I'm in the group. 8-) I was raised in a very very Catholic family, and even got all the way to being confirmed.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by McCulloch »

Cephus wrote:You'll never convince the zealots, their brains stopped working long ago.
The existence of people in this group should give us all hope. Some of us used to be zealots.
Gospel of John

Galphanore
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by Galphanore »

McCulloch wrote:
Cephus wrote:You'll never convince the zealots, their brains stopped working long ago.
The existence of people in this group should give us all hope. Some of us used to be zealots.
True, but I'd be interested to know what made those of us who used to be zealots become atheist. What finally broke through the shield?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by Cathar1950 »

I live in a small town in Michigan. Not many people around here read the stuff I like to read and I have an interest is religion, history, sociology, psychology, anthropology and science. Here I get to interact with people that actually share some of my interests and many have provided resources and information that one human could never master alone.
Having been involved wit religion all my life as a life long student and recovering believer I do see the possibility of the concept of God and traditions as valuable.
I like the idea that the idea of God extends our reach. It also provides comfort.
What bothers me is the dummying of thought. When faithfulness becomes believing certain facts, that are unbelievable, have to be true the subject loses its depth and appeal.
This escape from reason appears in our country as creationism verses evolution and such diversions.