Do you ever

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Do you ever

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Do you ever wonder about the chronological and mental age of some members?

Do you ever feel as though you are "teaching elementary school" or answering very elementary "arguments" in some of the threads?

Do you ever wish there were more than a few challenging theistic debaters?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Cephus
Prodigy

Re: Do you ever

Post #2

Post by Cephus »

Zzyzx wrote: .

Do you ever feel as though you are "teaching elementary school" or answering very elementary "arguments" in some of the threads?

Yes to all? I wish there were any challenging theistic debaters on the planet, there just aren't any. What we're left with are fanatics who insist on believing in a thing because it is emotionally comforting to believe in that thing, you never find theists who came to their beliefs via rational, intellectual, evidence-based reasons. That would impress me. What we see now doesn't.
Want to hear more? Check out my blog!
Watch my YouTube channel!
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

Cephus wrote:

Yes to all? I wish there were any challenging theistic debaters on the planet, there just aren't any. What we're left with are fanatics who insist on believing in a thing because it is emotionally comforting to believe in that thing, you never find theists who came to their beliefs via rational, intellectual, evidence-based reasons. That would impress me. What we see now doesn't.

I think you are painting with too broad a brush. However, that might be true of the conservative types.. but I find that is true of the conservative mindset, regardless of religion or not in general.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Cephus »

Goat wrote:
Cephus wrote:

I think you are painting with too broad a brush. However, that might be true of the conservative types.. but I find that is true of the conservative mindset, regardless of religion or not in general.
I find there to be nothing worthwhile in *ANY* apologetic, all of it is based on wishful thinking and emotional desire. That's all theism is, no matter what kind of theism you're talking about. Nobody has any actual evidence, they just make claims and wave their arms around, trying to convince people that they know what they're talking about. I can't think of the last time I encountered a theist who wasn't engaged in logical fallacies and empty rhetoric.

That's not a broad brush, that's reality.
Want to hear more? Check out my blog!
Watch my YouTube channel!
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.