Robust debate and unkindness.

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Box Whatbox
Apprentice

Robust debate and unkindness.

Post #1

Post by Box Whatbox »

I don't know where else I could post this thought, or even if it is in violation of forum rules, but I feel I must.
I am well familiar with the tough nature of internet debate, and am happy to give as good as I get. But sometimes I wonder if we should take some care.
Arian, who has been a capable debater in the past, seems to me to be suffering some sort of mental trouble recently; and I wonder if we should stop baiting him for a while?

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

I do think you should have pm'd this because we are discussing a member and mods could have discussed it privately but I appreciate your concern. We do actually try to protect our members when they are baited. At least we try and see the context and who threw the first stone.

But throwing the first stone doesn't justify any stones thrown back.

We should all report infractions regardless of which side we are on and preserve the forum.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Box Whatbox
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Box Whatbox »

[Replying to post 2 by Wootah]

Thanks, Wootah. I should have pm'd a mod, don't know why that didn't occur to me. I chose the A room as I thought Arian would be unlikey to see it.
#Is there any way this thread can be deleted?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: Robust debate and unkindness.

Post #4

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Box Whatbox wrote: I don't know where else I could post this thought, or even if it is in violation of forum rules, but I feel I must.
I am well familiar with the tough nature of internet debate, and am happy to give as good as I get. But sometimes I wonder if we should take some care.
Arian, who has been a capable debater in the past, seems to me to be suffering some sort of mental trouble recently; and I wonder if we should stop baiting him for a while?
I made the decision last month to stay away from this particular member for exactly the reason you have indicated.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.