God saves people's lives...and not others

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

God saves people's lives...and not others

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

We've all seen these articles. Some natural disaster happens, some people pray to God to save them and lo and behold! They survive, and there they all are, praising God for sparing them.

Then the article mentions other people were killed. What gives? Surely they were praying too?
EDIT - Replaced the long URL with a tinyurl, to fix page formatting
https://tinyurl.com/zg86tox
A Christian university dean is thanking God for saving the lives of 22 members of his family whose house in Texas was one of those directly hit by a killer tornado last weekend.
Then later on in the article
Eight people were killed that weekend when the extremely dangerous EF4 tornado, bearing wind speed of 200 mph (322 kph), struck the city of Garland, blowing vehicles off highways, Reuters reported.
If what these people are saying is true, they're praising a monster who plays Russian Roulette. What sort of sick being are they trying to portray their god as? It has nothing to do with prayer, since plenty of other people have prayed while in a disaster of some sort, and died.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: God saves people's lives...and not others

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

rikuoamero wrote: If what these people are saying is true, they're praising a monster who plays Russian Roulette. What sort of sick being are they trying to portray their god as? It has nothing to do with prayer, since plenty of other people have prayed while in a disaster of some sort, and died.
In the A Room you are preaching to the choir. Of course these religions are ridiculous. This is one of the many reasons why people have become atheists. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #3

Post by OnceConvinced »

It's the whole thing about God will have mercy on who God wants to have mercy on. Prayer would seem to be irrelevant.

Much like his forgiveness. He could forgive without the need for blood sacrifices, but he simply chooses to demand blood sacrifices.

God's mercy is obviously arbitrary. Probably just depends on his mood.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Blastcat »

OnceConvinced wrote: It's the whole thing about God will have mercy on who God wants to have mercy on. Prayer would seem to be irrelevant.

Much like his forgiveness. He could forgive without the need for blood sacrifices, but he simply chooses to demand blood sacrifices.

God's mercy is obviously arbitrary. Probably just depends on his mood.
er.... God's MERCY?

I really don't think we have given enough weight to the possibility that God is a psychopath disguised as benevolent. Maybe the god they all worship IS an evil demon, and the GOOD things that happen are from .. something else... an omnipotent malevolent God, perhaps.

:)

Talishi
Guru

Re: God saves people's lives...and not others

Post #5

Post by Talishi »

rikuoamero wrote: We've all seen these articles. Some natural disaster happens, some people pray to God to save them and lo and behold! They survive, and there they all are, praising God for sparing them.
Yeah, the eye of the hurricane misses Pensacola and hits Biloxi. Go figure.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!