God does really exist! How do we spread the word?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

OccamsRazor
Scholar

God does really exist! How do we spread the word?

Post #1

Post by OccamsRazor »

I thought of this question after seeing the topic "Why are 'they' here?" and wondered about a ridiculous situation:

Take this hypothetical situation:

A true William Blake style God comes down from the sky and informs you that he really exists. After some confusion and self doubt at seeing such a phenomenon and believing that you've been drinking too much, working too hard etc. God shows you a bunch of miracles and generally does some stuff to prove, beyond all doubt that it is really the man (err being/entity/whatever) himself.
He also goes on to tell you that all of the things in the New Testament are 100% accurate. Including the things that make no logical sense (he just says it was his work and that he works in mysterious ways ;) )
My question is this. Would you tell everyone? If so how would you do it? Bearing in mind how all of us (i.e. we who can post in the 'A room') would react to someone suddenly saying "I know God exists, the Lord spoke to me".

Vianne
Student

Post #2

Post by Vianne »

Well, I guess I'm the only one to reply to this. :shock:

Even if that did happen, no, I would not tell anyone, nor would I convert.

I would promptly slap him across the face and tell him his horrific behavior in the Old Testament demonstrates him as sadistic and possibly mentally ill, and that he has consequently lost my respect forever. If he wants genuine love from the human race, he should not threaten them with perpetual torture for choosing not to love him. No one will ever choose of free will in those circumstances.

I would then point him towards the yellow pages to look for a good psychologist, who could help him with his dysfunctional relationship skills and his terribly needy ego.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

It is reported that Bertrand Russell was asked what reply he would give God if God asked him why he had not believed in Him. Russell said he would say, “Not enough evidence, God, not enough evidence!”
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Re: God does really exist! How do we spread the word?

Post #4

Post by Bugmaster »

I would "spread the word" only if I was reasonably sure that God actually existed, and was not a hallucination, a hoax, etc. Spreading the word would be relatively easy, because I'd have a mountain of reasonably objective evidence at my disposal. All I'd have to do is publish it.