Total votes: 3

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

New Year's project

Post #1

Post by Blastcat »

Hi

I've been wondering lately as to why theists don't seem at all curious concerning outsider's actual ideas.

They insist very often on a mangled and false definition of "atheism" ... In effect, trying to TELL me how I should be using the word, or what the word ACTUALLY means...and so on.

I ask a lot of questions.....

I even have taken to NUMBER them.. right?

So, I was wondering....
How many of these questions are actually ADDRESSED?

With a computer, it should be easy to do.
I can do it manually, and i probably will end up doing that... but still.

If there are any computer wiz out there with database experience, I'd like to talk to you. I don't really want to create my own spread sheet. I'm lazy and stupid AND I would like to start keeping a tally of the question/answer ratio starting Feb 1.

Oh yeah, and if anyone else wants to start doing that... please contact me.
I'd like to see if I can generate some stats.

Right now, I'm just going by my very strong impressing that MOST of my carefully worded questions are going completely unanswered.

I would also like to COUNT how many questions the THEISTS ask of me.

Any ideas?

:)

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: New Year's project

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

Blastcat wrote:
They insist very often on a mangled and false definition of "atheism"
I find it very irritating,. this wilful ignorance. They have their own theist spin on the word "atheist", which means nonsense like "rebellious", "wants to sin", "hates God", which of course don't apply to ANY atheists at all. If those words did apply, then they wouldn't be atheists, they would just be angry, rebellious theists.

Blastcat wrote:
... In effect, trying to TELL me how I should be using the word, or what the word ACTUALLY means...and so on.
When most theists use the term "atheist" they are using a warped definition. Their belief is that deep down atheists really do believe. They're just jerks, that's all. Of course they fail to see that their version of the word "atheist" would be a complete contradiction. An atheist who is angry at god would be a complete paradox.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: New Year's project

Post #3

Post by benchwarmer »

Blastcat wrote: Hi

I've been wondering lately as to why theists don't seem at all curious concerning outsider's actual ideas.
My opinion is that most theists believe they have all the answers concerning their favorite god concept. At least more than any outsider. They are happy to preach, but rarely happy to be confronted with any contradictory information. After all, they believe they have a god on their side and non believers are either rebels or haven't heard the good news yet.
Blastcat wrote: They insist very often on a mangled and false definition of "atheism" ... In effect, trying to TELL me how I should be using the word, or what the word ACTUALLY means...and so on.
Ya you rebel you! :)

Since they believe in a god, they can only compute an atheist as 'against god'. They can't seem to compute indifference or non belief due to lack of any evidence. When pointed out they are actually atheists for the most part as well but simply believe in one more god than true atheists, they don't grasp it for some reason.
Blastcat wrote: I ask a lot of questions.....
Boy howdy you sure do!
Blastcat wrote: I even have taken to NUMBER them.. right?
Look, there's one now. You forgot to number it though. For shame. SMH, LOL
Blastcat wrote: So, I was wondering....
How many of these questions are actually ADDRESSED?

With a computer, it should be easy to do.
I can do it manually, and i probably will end up doing that... but still.

If there are any computer wiz out there with database experience, I'd like to talk to you. I don't really want to create my own spread sheet. I'm lazy and stupid AND I would like to start keeping a tally of the question/answer ratio starting Feb 1.

Oh yeah, and if anyone else wants to start doing that... please contact me.
I'd like to see if I can generate some stats.
I might be able to help, but I'm unclear on what magic you expect the computer to perform. Honestly, a spreadsheet is probably the easiest and best bet here. You would enter one topic per row and have a column on number of answers to each question (possibly multiple columns if you want to break it down by theist/non-theist reply).

Example:
[mrow]Question[col]Answered by theist[col]Answered by non-theist[col]Comments [row]Does Blastcat wear Barbie socks?[col]0[col]57[col] [row]...[col]...[col]...[col]... [row]Total[col]0[col]57
The computer doesn't buy you much in regards to parsing your posts and pulling out questions/answers or anything, but can keep count for you of whatever it is you want to count.

Spreadsheets are nice because you can do math between the columns or rows and build up some graphs or whatever you want.

If you need some help setting up a spread sheet let me know. I'm not an expert in that area, but my google-fu is pretty strong and I've done basic spread sheet stuff before.

I can probably also guide you on some other solutions if you can spell out exactly how you would like things to work.