What bothers you about Christianity?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

sue

What bothers you about Christianity?

Post #1

Post by sue »

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked.

What, if anything, bothers you about Christianity? To clarify, by this question I don't mean to ask "what is it that bothers you about Christians, or certain Christians you have met". What is it about the religion itself that you don't like, and why?

For myself, it's this:
-The emphasis on salvation. This seems like an awfully selfish approach.
-The emphasis on Christ's death. This seems like an awfully guilt-ridden approach.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Ok I know you don't want to turn this topic into Christian bashing. But I really hate it when I meet Christians who are clever and witty, and really good company to be around, and who do good works, and put more back into their communities than I do. The sort of people who really care about others. The sort of Christians who admit their weaknesses, take no credit for themselves, and give all the credit to God. (Ned Flanders - he's one).

Those guys drives me nuts!!! :anger:

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by Cathar1950 »

Furrowed Brow wrote:Ok I know you don't want to turn this topic into Christian bashing. But I really hate it when I meet Christians who are clever and witty, and really good company to be around, and who do good works, and put more back into their communities than I do. The sort of people who really care about others. The sort of Christians who admit their weaknesses, take no credit for themselves, and give all the credit to God. (Ned Flanders - he's one).

Those guys drives me nuts!!! :anger:
I like good old Ned too.
My Aunt was like that and I know a few others.
They are so sweet.
So I overlook their goofy ideas but then they pray for me and love me anyway.
But then I am pretty harmess.
I go to parties and people stand around waiting for me to fall asleep.
I need a rug of bubble rap to protect my parameter.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by McCulloch »

Cathar1950 wrote:I need a rug of bubble rap to protect my parameter.
Would that be, "I need a rug of bubble wrap to protect my [strike]parameter [/strike]perimeter."?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by Cathar1950 »

McCulloch wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:I need a rug of bubble rap to protect my parameter.
Would that be, "I need a rug of bubble wrap to protect my [strike]parameter [/strike]perimeter."?
It does make more sense.
Thanks I am just waking up from sleeping all day and I am to tired to use spell check. But it would not have caught the rap instead of wrap. I could have looked at my kitchen wrap and found it.
Next time just edit it for me before some one else sees it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by McCulloch »

Cathar1950 wrote:Next time just edit it for me before some one else sees it.
No, it is far more fun this way. :P
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by Cathar1950 »

McCulloch wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:Next time just edit it for me before some one else sees it.
No, it is far more fun this way. :P
I can appreciate that. Fun is fun.
I slept all day and thought maybe this would be a good night to go have a couple classes of wine or a few beers because it is hard to do it with out the nap.
But I am to lazy and tired to go out even after the long nap(all day).
I am getting old.
Besides I missed Dr. Who and it comes on in an hour and a half.
I am not a nerd.

wrekk
Scholar

Post #37

Post by wrekk »

The Duke of Vandals wrote:Christianity where...

... god takes credit for all the good things you do and you're left with taking responsibility for the bad stuff.

... masturbators, consentual homosexuals and adulterers are on equal "moral" footing with rapists, murderers and child molesters.

... the old testament encourages murder. You murder your kids for talking back to you. You murder your wife for not obeying you. You murder your neighbors for worshipping other gods. Christians believe there's something in the NT that negates this and it's a good thing they do.

... 1800 year old unsupported propaganda is "fact" and modern day supported scientific advancement is "fiction".

... centuries of murdering unbelievers and heretics has yeilded a "religion of tolerance and love" that "all historians accept".

... women should just shut up and obey their husbands.

Yup. Sounds like a great religion.
Great post. Bravo!! You had some classics in there. You should make bumper stickers or t-shirts with some of these. :D
You never hear in the news... 200 killed today when Atheist rebels took heavy shelling from the Agnostic stronghold in the North.- Doug Stanhope

Cmass
Guru

Post #38

Post by Cmass »

All of the above plus my own spin on a few:

* An absolute obsession with the method of genital stimulation - especially other people's genital stimulation.

* The belief in an afterlife. What motivation is there to take care of the planet - or much of anything - if you are convinced life is only a passing phase on your way to eternal orgasm? Similarly, if armageddon is at hand then why engage nations in a peace process? Why not just help God usher in the event? GW hangs out with obtains advice from John Haggie who believes the end of the world is at hand. Does this make you feel safe? As long as you believe that Jesus is waiting for you in heaven with a nice pot of gold soup, then environmental and other global problems will rarely be of deep interest beyond "tending God's garden" with a little crop dusting from time to time.

* On the flip side of the coin, they belief that behavioral commandments - religious threats - are the only things that can hold societies together and without them people will have orgies in the streets, be running over puppies and shooting their neighbor in order to steal his porsche and covet his wife. :pelvic_thrust: :pelvic_thrust2:

* Encouragement within Christianity to not question anything. Not just the Bible, but much of anything. Beyond the obvious larger implications mentioned above, I find some Christians to be outright boring. I have several friend who are Christians but they are casual friends and the discussions rarely contain deep meaning, personal insight or original thinking. :sleep:

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by k-nug »

Among many issues, my biggest issue with the religion of Christianity is the aspect of the relationship with God. Without going into a story, it is the underlying reason why I rejected the idea of a God.

Evangelicals constantly preach about having a relationship with Jesus. However, this 'relationship' seems to be one-way communication. Which means it's not actually a relationship at all. How can you have a relationship if the other party never talks to you?
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #40

Post by Furrowed Brow »

k-nug wrote:Among many issues, my biggest issue with the religion of Christianity is the aspect of the relationship with God. Without going into a story, it is the underlying reason why I rejected the idea of a God.

Evangelicals constantly preach about having a relationship with Jesus. However, this 'relationship' seems to be one-way communication. Which means it's not actually a relationship at all. How can you have a relationship if the other party never talks to you?
Me thinks it is more worrying if they do talk to you.