Feeling of emptiness

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Confused
Site Supporter

Feeling of emptiness

Post #1

Post by Confused »

After finally accepting the truth as I see it and finding a sort of comfort with it, I still feel this emptiness that I can't quite fill. After weighing the information and making an informed decision, I feel I have made the right decision finally. But I can't help feeling as if I am mourning the loss of some sort of hope. Is this normal or am I going insane now to boot?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Feeling of emptiness

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Confused wrote:am I going insane now to boot?
We are all only temporarily sane. We did not have fully functioning reasoning powers when we were born and unless our lives end abruptly, we will lose some or most of our reasoning powers before we die.

:-k
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Confused »

McCulloch wrote:
We are all only temporarily sane. We did not have fully functioning reasoning powers when we were born and unless our lives end abruptly, we will lose some or most of our reasoning powers before we die.

Doesn't answer my question though. Is this feeling of loss of some sort of hope normal? I know my decision is right, but I still feel as if I lost something in this discovery?
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Confused wrote:
McCulloch wrote:

Doesn't answer my question though. Is this feeling of loss of some sort of hope normal? I know my decision is right, but I still feel as if I lost something in this discovery?
Did you feel a loss when you discovered the truth about Santa Claus?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Difficult one. I never had a sense of God so I can't say I've ever felt the loss. For me the path of continued discovery is to understand deeper the hows and whys God does not make sense. Part of that journey is the seeking out of the best arguments and wisdoms, and learning to judge what is B**L S**T, clever stuff that is still BS, subtle stuff that is nevertheless BS; and also sadly when I myself unwittingly spread BS.

Also once you get over the emptiness, desert landscapes have their own unique tranquil beauty I think.

upallnite
Sage

Post #6

Post by upallnite »

You can find various theists almost anywhere. Perhaps the loss you feel is the loss of being part of a larger group. Most non-theists are not interested in grouping together. I think it is a social loss.

As for not having some sort of hope, I do not see that. Did your hopes rely on things only a deity could offer? I don't think mine ever did.

If your going to go insane, can you pick me up some unicorns on your way back?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by bernee51 »

Confused wrote:After finally accepting the truth as I see it and finding a sort of comfort with it, I still feel this emptiness that I can't quite fill. After weighing the information and making an informed decision, I feel I have made the right decision finally. But I can't help feeling as if I am mourning the loss of some sort of hope. Is this normal or am I going insane now to boot?
Many people go through something akin to the 5 stages of grief (as descibed by Kubler-Ross) when they come to any life effecting conclusion.

I presume the 'loss of some sort of hope' you describe is that 'hope' supposedly inherent in christian belief systems. My personal feeling when contemplating such is an immense feeling of lightness of being in that I know that I am truly responsible for my place and purpose in the universe. I am not somehow second-class - a 'sinner' from birth reliant upon the supposed sacrifice of a man/god two thousnad years ago in order to be 'saved'.

My 'salvation' is there in the realisation and internalization of what I believe is the 'nature of being'. We are born and we die. We are part of a long and unbroken chain of evolutionary change at all levels - in the physical, in the continuum of consciousness and the 'spiritual'

I wish you well.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Cathar1950 »

I had a dream last night where a shoe and shoehorn were chasing each other around.
I wonder if it means anything?
Join the club Confused.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Confused »

I guess when I finally made my decision, I would find peace with it. But though I feel a sense of peace, it is accompanied by a sense of loss or emptiness as well.

Since my family never had the money for christmas presents, I never believed in santa to begin with, so there was no loss to experience.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #10

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

You only feel empty because you created a void that required filling.

There was never any need for that void.