Biker

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

WelshBoy
Scholar

Biker

Post #1

Post by WelshBoy »

Does anyone else find Biker the most infuriating poster on this site!?!

I have kept my composure for a very long time, patiently trying to present evidence to him, but most of the time I can't help thinking that it's a group of home-schooled christian 12 year olds typing the replies!!

I've come to the conclusion (quite some time ago actually) that there was no point responding to him since he has his ears, eyes, mouth and brain stuffed with the Bible and will admit no reason! I'm just too kind-hearted to see his woeful ignorance and keep quiet.

BREEEEEEATHE..........BREEEEEEEATHE.....
To the believer, no proof is necessary; to the skeptic, no proof is enough.

Cmass
Guru

Post #11

Post by Cmass »

Biker does not know you or your son.
No debater in here knows the other's family members (or very few). However, there has to be some line that you cross where behavior becomes unacceptable. My son is helpless and innocent because of his age so I guess I see it similarly to referring to handicapped people. Also, the comments are clearly not made in the heat of battle, they are pre-meditated. Biker never apologizes, never backs down and his comments continue in the same vein day after day. Comments about my family are not just off-topic - we ALL go off topic - they are completely unrelated to this forum and were made only as an insult to me and for no other reason.
When a debater lowers himself to such a level you should rejoice.
From a purely debate perspective I suppose I should. But I am also deeply saddened because I know the debate is effectively over through anger and insult. As can be seen from above comments, it also interferes with the enjoyment of others in the forum.
Further, the more bizarre or irrational the debater becomes, the scarier it is to contemplate their role in our world.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Confused »

Cmass wrote:
Biker does not know you or your son.
No debater in here knows the other's family members (or very few). However, there has to be some line that you cross where behavior becomes unacceptable. My son is helpless and innocent because of his age so I guess I see it similarly to referring to handicapped people. Also, the comments are clearly not made in the heat of battle, they are pre-meditated. Biker never apologizes, never backs down and his comments continue in the same vein day after day. Comments about my family are not just off-topic - we ALL go off topic - they are completely unrelated to this forum and were made only as an insult to me and for no other reason.
When a debater lowers himself to such a level you should rejoice.
From a purely debate perspective I suppose I should. But I am also deeply saddened because I know the debate is effectively over through anger and insult. As can be seen from above comments, it also interferes with the enjoyment of others in the forum.
Further, the more bizarre or irrational the debater becomes, the scarier it is to contemplate their role in our world.
I know you are going to hate this idea, but try to PM Biker and see if he really understood what his words were saying from your perspective. I haven't followed the thread because it is way to long as far as I am concerned and it went of track way to many times to keep up. So I am unsure exactly what was said. But it is entirely possible that Biker didn't mean it as an attack. I have butted heads with him only to find out that his sense of sarcasm is odd when put on paper without intonation to defferentiate between joking and seriously sarcastic and demeaning remarks.

Since I haven't followed the thread, this entire post may be irrelevant because it may be blantantly obvious that it was indeed a personal attack. If so, I apologize and feel free to null and void this.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Cmass
Guru

Post #13

Post by Cmass »

blantantly obvious that it was indeed a personal attack.
Blatantly obvious.
If so, I apologize and feel free to null and void this
Done.
Confused, you are getting more and more reasonable in your old (forum) age. Soon, you will have to change your name....perhaps "Enlightened"?

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Confused »

Cmass wrote:
blantantly obvious that it was indeed a personal attack.
Blatantly obvious.
If so, I apologize and feel free to null and void this
Done.
Confused, you are getting more and more reasonable in your old (forum) age. Soon, you will have to change your name....perhaps "Enlightened"?
And start all over? No. I am still confused on many issues. But trust me, I am anything but unreasonable with one particular jerk, easyrider. He hits every button in his superiority and it pisses me off that he thinks he is not only better than atheists, but other Christians as well. That self superiority is a mockery of Christianity, yet he doesn't care. He only cares for himself.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

ManBearPig
Student

Post #15

Post by ManBearPig »

Furrowed Brow has a webpage? What is it? I always like what he has to say.

Also, to Cmass and Welshboy, you should regard the fact that Biker dodged the sun/earth question as a victory. It can only mean that either:

1. He has realized a contradiction in his argument, and therefore is cutting debate off.

Or

2. He thinks the planets revolve around the earth, and is embarassed to admit it.

Since he espouses many beliefs in contradiction with mainstream science without reservation, #2 is unlikely.

By the way, isn't the correct answer "the sun and the earth revolve around each other"? I think Biker could have stuck to his guns and been right on a technicality :).

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Furrowed Brow »

ManBearPig wrote:Furrowed Brow has a webpage? What is it? I always like what he has to say.

Also, to Cmass and Welshboy, you should regard the fact that Biker dodged the sun/earth question as a victory. It can only mean that either:

1. He has realized a contradiction in his argument, and therefore is cutting debate off.

Or

2. He thinks the planets revolve around the earth, and is embarassed to admit it.

Since he espouses many beliefs in contradiction with mainstream science without reservation, #2 is unlikely.

By the way, isn't the correct answer "the sun and the earth revolve around each other"? I think Biker could have stuck to his guns and been right on a technicality :).
Thanks ManBearPig. The page is Here . However its pretty much a thesis on Wittgenstein, logic and decidability. So if the words Wittgenstein, Godel, Turing really light your candle its just the place for you.

As for Biker. I kind of imagine him as a larger than life character. When cornered I think he is guilty of bluster. And perhaps sometimes that can seem to be hurtful. I know Bike is intelligent, but he is wedded to his faith. For me faith gets in the way of being truly critical, and self critical.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Cathar1950 »

Furrowed Brow wrote: However its pretty much a thesis on Wittgenstein, logic and decidability. So if the words Wittgenstein, Godel, Turing really light your candle its just the place for you.

As for Biker. I kind of imagine him as a larger than life character. When cornered I think he is guilty of bluster. And perhaps sometimes that can seem to be hurtful. I know Bike is intelligent, but he is wedded to his faith. For me faith gets in the way of being truly critical, and self critical.
I was at your site and was enjoying it.
Those fellows have always been interesting if you can get your head around it.
I was lucky Whitehead, Hartshorn, Popper, JAWheeler and T.Kuhn twisted me up years before.
It is fun to go back and look at your roots. I remember my mom gave me a box of my old books I had as a teen. I remember running into Fromm in college and thought he seemed like he knew me. In the box was old Fromm books. Now I go thru my old books and it is like an intellectual history that runs every which way but in groups. I sometime grab a book and reread it after many decades and see it much different and understand it in new ways yet sometimes it starts sounding old like me.

There are times when a debate is going badly and you get frustrated and I feel like just yelling and wanting to reach out and thump some one. It is so nice to have the computer to hid behind and keep me relatively sane.

But some are so indoctrinated or there world view is such that it is impossible to see an alternative. It worries me when some take their faith or beliefs and insist it is history and fact.
I am convinced that some can not see a contradiction because by definition it is impossible. Too many it seems obvious there is conflicts and a wide variety of interpretations. The bible does not just have one theme ruining thru it "repent and obey. It has many stories often repeated over and over.
Much of it consists of old gods remade in new stories.

As far as Biker goes, I think it was uncalled for.
Going off topic is something that happens. It should not get personal unless we are making some kind of psychological breakthru.
As far as kids go that should be off limits. I don't know a parent that doesn't think they should spend more time with their families. Not everyone has the luxury
and we would soon find our kids in foster homes because we didn't go to work or get groceries.

palmera
Scholar

Post #18

Post by palmera »

Raise your hand if you remember AlAyeti.
Men at ease have contempt for misfortune
as the fate of those whose feet are slipping.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Cathar1950 »

palmera wrote:
:wave:

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by bernee51 »

palmera wrote:
Al/John was one of my favourites. He hardly ever dissed me at all.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj